Why an expansion?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Grobut

Комиссар Гробут
Oct 27, 2004
Soviet Denmark
I'm sure there are a lot of players that would have been part of a clan and competiting with clans worldwide if they had the means to.

No thanks, i've got better things to do than take a videogame too seriously, perhabs it could have tempted me when i was younger, back when Doom2, Quake and Blood where the games of choice, but life goes on, and i have little patience for kids talking smack and thinking they can settle arguments with the WASD keys thease days.

FuLLBLeeD

fart
Jan 23, 2008
Kansas
awwsmack.org
No thanks, i've got better things to do than take a videogame too seriously, perhabs it could have tempted me when i was younger, back when Doom2, Quake and Blood where the games of choice, but life goes on, and i have little patience for kids talking smack and thinking they can settle arguments with the WASD keys thease days.

But what about being a "PRO G4M3R" and getting your face on Dr. Pepper cans? :lol:

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
Clans and 'pr0-g4m3rz' are what kills the fun in on-line games regardless of their nature.
Bots and good friends are so much more fun as opponents and teammates as they're more interested in having fun while playing the game instead of trying to win at any cost.

FuLLBLeeD

fart
Jan 23, 2008
Kansas
awwsmack.org
Really? Explain.

I think he's talking about the egos and grouchiness a lot of so called "pro gamers" exhibit. Example, the UT3 IRC on Gameradius was full of people calling each other demeaning names and racial slurs (internet comedy gold for stupid people) instead of actually playing the game. At least from my experience. Playing games competitively is fun but the community make or breaks it, and the competitive community for UT3 was pretty lousy.

EDIT: Essentially once people have the retarded "I don't play for fun, I PLAY for competition, scrub!" attitude its no longer any fun to play with them. Granted I've made a lot of friends that do play competitively, but most of the players really are only concerned about their e-penis.

Last edited:

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
UT players have always had terrible attitudes. It doesn't seem to matter if they're competitive or not. The percentage of douches to normal people is higher in UT than most other games and series, I think. D:

FuLLBLeeD

fart
Jan 23, 2008
Kansas
awwsmack.org
Essentially this comic still holds true.

20040319h.jpg

nawrot

Jan 23, 2008
Be prepared to drop $40+ on it, I say. :)

Will not, EPIC still owes me UT game that i paid for.

TBH I probably will pay (being UT fanboy), but this time no more faith in EPIC, they get monies when they prove that product is worth it. Stuff that will make me go for "harr harr" route: stupid DRM, required windows LIVE or gamespy. I want game and only this, no stupid community portals that are in fact spyware and adware.

Also any stupid comment from CliffyB or Rein about how awesome UT is that is not entirely true will make me build my own PC and say "harr harr".

Bersy

Apr 7, 2008
Sweden
Granted I've made a lot of friends that do play competitively (JD, Rythem, Bebo, Janes) but most of the players really are only concerned about their e-penis.
Bebo just made a thread flaunting his winnings in contests and admitting he purposely trolls Epic, adding an amusing layer to this quote.

Grasshopper

Jan 21, 2008
Upstate NY
Will not, EPIC still owes me UT game that i paid for.

TBH I probably will pay (being UT fanboy), but this time no more faith in EPIC, they get monies when they prove that product is worth it. Stuff that will make me go for "harr harr" route: stupid DRM, required windows LIVE or gamespy. I want game and only this, no stupid community portals that are in fact spyware and adware.

Also any stupid comment from CliffyB or Rein about how awesome UT is that is not entirely true will make me build my own PC and say "harr harr".

Yup, I'll pay for the expansion if the GUI is fixed and we go back to the old master server/server browser. Crap like Gamesspy and securROM will be the death of gaming on PC. This stuff doesn't stop pirating, it just enrages the people that pay their money.

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
Bebo just made a thread flaunting his winnings in contests and admitting he purposely trolls Epic, adding an amusing layer to this quote.
Well you won't see me doing that, but then again I completely stopped taking gaming seriously a long time ago even though I play at the highest competitive skill level that's available in the US (yeah that sounds like a contradiction, but it's not!). Baba's post kind of shocked me, but I guess he's just really angry at Epic/the community/lack of a fun recent multi-player fps that's Unreal. That's just the way some people rant, and it is a forum, so it's his prerogatived to do so. :p

Yup, I'll pay for the expansion if the GUI is fixed and we go back to the old master server/server browser. Crap like Gamesspy and securROM will be the death of gaming on PC. This stuff doesn't stop pirating, it just enrages the people that pay their money.
There is no SecurROM in UT3. :tup:

Last edited:

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
There's no copy protection period in UT3, just a simple CD Key. In fact, this UT is the least protected of any UT. (UT1 needed the CD until Patch 432 or 436, 2k3 needed one until the final patch (2225) as well, 2k4 dropped it as of the first patch (3204), released a month after the game was out.)

Last edited:

FuLLBLeeD

fart
Jan 23, 2008
Kansas
awwsmack.org

Yeah, that's why I edited my post and removed his name. He's your run of the mill "competition" gamer, arrogant and smug as hell. I'm done defending him.

It's a video game kids, you're no better than everyone else playing it, competitive or not. I'm not talking about player skill, I'm talking about this stupid undeserved feeling of superiority competitive players have.

unbecoming

The Money U Could Be Saving W/out Barry
Jan 21, 2008
St.Louis,MO
Epic definition of expansion-

Get game out of beta stage keeping it simple for mass appeal.
Add a bit of content and a figurine.
Change color and add a heavier clear coat to the bait.
Resell at Christmas under new name because too many know what UT3 means.Do not release any demo.Make them buy it to try it.Censor and ban those who wish to inform others,constructively criticize,or respectfully inquire.

If that ends up being the case then it's not an expansion imo.It's just a culmination of things that should have come with game.Some will end up paying close to a hundred bucks for a shot at a proper working UT3 when its all said and done and still have a remote chance of finding a good pinging populated server.

It's becoming a pattern now.Why pay beta testers when you can have them pay you?Twice even.Do you see the light now?It's always about money.Look at it from that perspective and it becomes clear most times.It's one of the main reasons so many have been banned from Epic's forums.

I still want UT in general to prosper because it was the bread and butter of skilled FPS' up until UT3.We really need something fast,intense,challenging,stable,and without vehikalz.

I am doubtful that they can drop their controllers during playtesting though.Consolitis,bugs,tyrannical forums,GS,and that poor excuse for a demo hurt long time fans and Epic's sales.Still I am hoping for the best,but expecting the worst.

Last edited:

Grasshopper

Jan 21, 2008
Upstate NY
Well you won't see me doing that, but then again I completely stopped taking gaming seriously a long time ago even though I play at the highest competitive skill level that's available in the US (yeah that sounds like a contradiction, but it's not!). Baba's post kind of shocked me, but I guess he's just really angry at Epic/the community/lack of a fun recent multi-player fps that's Unreal. That's just the way some people rant, and it is a forum, so it's his prerogatived to do so. :p

I never said there was. I said GAMING on PC , not UT on PC. I was talking about all of the useless anti pirating crap in general.

Last edited:

rAt.8^].bAg

Don't eff wid Gkublok
Aug 10, 2008
Epic definition of expansion-

Get game out of beta stage keeping it simple for mass appeal.
Add a bit of content and a figurine.
Change color and add a heavier clear coat to the bait.
Resell at Christmas under new name because too many know what UT3 means.Do not release any demo.Make them buy it to try it.Censor and ban those who wish to inform others,constructively criticize,or respectfully inquire.

If that ends up being the case then it's not an expansion imo.It's just a culmination of things that should have come with game.Some will end up paying close to a hundred bucks for a shot at a proper working UT3 when its all said and done and still have a remote chance of finding a good pinging populated server.

It's becoming a pattern now.Why pay beta testers when you can have them pay you?Twice even.Do you see the light now?It's always about money.Look at it from that perspective and it becomes clear most times.It's one of the main reasons so many have been banned from Epic's forums.

I still want UT in general to prosper because it was the bread and butter of skilled FPS' up until UT3.We really need something fast,intense,challenging,stable,and without vehikalz.

I am doubtful that they can drop their controllers during playtesting though.Consolitis,bugs,tyrannical forums,GS,and that poor excuse for a demo hurt long time fans and Epic's sales.Still I am hoping for the best,but expecting the worst.

Many good points here, some of which I and others have been saying lately before we get jumped by the to0Ls that constantly harp the "Epic can do no wrong" mantra, (as in the most recently closed string).

Pathetic.