Wheel Of Time decorations into Unreal Tournament?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Deathbliss

UT Engineer
Apr 9, 2001
USA
www.planetunreal.com
Ok, so can someone NOT concernerd about annoying legalities help me?

I don't need to be preached at Deeper Shade. I OWN WHEEL OF TIME. I also own UNREAL, UNREAL TOURNAMENT, and RUNE. I have EVERY RIGHT to do what I please with what I have purchased. It's not like I'm going to be dishonorable or anything. I need certain lights for my level, and outside of importing them what options does a person like me who can't make anything NEAR as good have? Have an y legal methods you care to share with me? Your replies here should be answering my question - and so far you have failed in that regard. I appreciate any real help you care to give however.

Thank you!
- Deathbliss

Luminuis

Herald of the Newest Dawn
Ahh, hmm.

So Death, you want to do something Illegal, well, since I can, I'm going to point out the flaws in your logic.

I don't need to be preached at Deeper Shade.
Then stop acting like you do and get real, DS is right.

I OWN WHEEL OF TIME. I also own UNREAL, UNREAL TOURNAMENT, and RUNE. I have EVERY RIGHT to do what I please with what I have purchased.
So you've purchased the copyrights for those games? Hmm, I didn't think so, what you have bought it the right to play the game.

I need certain lights for my level, and outside of importing them what options does a person like me who can't make anything NEAR as good have? Have an y legal methods you care to share with me?
Why don't you ask someone (DS) to make you models and then make the decorations yourself?

Your replies here should be answering my question - and so far you have failed in that regard. I appreciate any real help you care to give however.
Yes he has, he's told you it's illegal and therefor impossible.

Thank you!
Your welcome :D

LP

*wants to be your friend*
Mar 2, 2001
Ireland
www.mvpb.net
Okay ive been sitting on the fence so far , but ill have to go with Gabriel and Deepershade, they came up with some pretty good ponts, and plain down mockery .:)
And it would appear that they have been members of tha forums for waayyy longer than u. Which tells me they know what theyre talking about.......

Deathbliss

UT Engineer
Apr 9, 2001
USA
www.planetunreal.com
DeeperShade and Gabriel:

Ok, so you've made your point VERY clear. I'm glad you care so much about me - it's wonderful that complete strangers are willing to take the time to not only NOT answer a question (what I do with the answer is my business - NOT yours), but also who have the kindness to rip my words out of context and try to preach at me. I appreciate your candor in expressing what you believe. Now could you both please go to hell? I don't need this **** from you, and anyone concerned about copyright issues can come over here and sue me if they dare.

Now as for looking for custom decorations or asking for help the most I get is folks like you two in attitude - either that or no answer at all. I have a level to build and my creative process are being damaged by even this delay. I am an artist - I have a picture and I'd rather do it all by myself but unfortunately I can't as I don't have the skills most of you have. So please don't tell me to ask for help unless you are also offering it. If you are willing to create for me some nice torches and candle stands similar to those in WOT and tell me how to get them set up in my level then my apologies and thanks to you. I look forward to giving you well-deserved credit and appreciation for your work, as it will bring my level into fruition. If not then you are wasting my time. Telling me what is wrong and what I can't do yet being unwilling to tell me what I can do, where to go, and how - in other words answering this post in a legitimate and legally acceptable way for you - this type of attitude is the kind of attitude that will contribute to my willingness (and others too) to do things in an illegal fashion (as you refer to it) since it's easier. What's important here is that I get the lighting I need to complete my level - PERIOD! Not the fact that some moron who made a nice decoration in some other game has made the decision that I can't user their work even though they are probably driving a new Mercedes even as I type this. Rest assured that if and when I create something for a game I am licensing it despite what my superiors say to EVERYONE for FREE once I have my paycheck. I don't care - I like to help and be generous. The question is can you? Or will you continue to defend those who don't need anything from you and most likely would spit on you in the street if you walked by? Think about it and try to make some attempt at responding intelligently in your next reply.

BTW if I want a sermon I'll go to church -
- Deathbliss

DeeperShade

Banned
Dec 8, 2000
www.tar-valon.com
Death, Im sorry that you dont like the fact that I refuse to help in your quest, but I did it on moral principal... It is illegal and it is piracy which I stay as far away from as possible

combitz

Common sense is not that common
May 1, 2000
U.K
combitz.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk
I'd like to stay out of the slanging match but you raised an interesting point! I know that the uk the law states that if you own an item you are legally entitled to modify it as you wish as long as it does not have the ability to harm anyone. How ever you've got me on this topic as interlectual property rights are dam-confusing. I'll check it out with the authorities and get back to you all just to clear up the topic for everyones benefit. everyone could do without the petty arguments and insults as all we all want to do is make good levels without bad vibes. hope I have not offended anyone and don't worry, no ones names will be mentioned when I talk to FACT.

;)

DrWinky

i didnt do evil school to be called Mr
Jun 20, 2001
UK
Visit site
tee hee

hey there,

I have to put in my word here, just because, well.... i can.

I feel that a level is fairly easy to create, (not easy to make it good however), and the basic layout isnt that much of an art, but te lighting can make or break it. You claim to be an artist and yet struggle with an artistc approach.

I dont know what you are trying to do, but i have found that you should be able to do anything you want, or get a close apprximation, without resorting to plagerism. Look at a lighting tutorial and have a play. This will give you the diversity to make different lighting in future maps.

Have a go, and see what you come up with.

DrWinky

P.S. Im still playing and learning, so don't ask me how you do any of the specific lighting. I wish you every success on tis little project, and happy days :)

Deathbliss

UT Engineer
Apr 9, 2001
USA
www.planetunreal.com
DrWinky:

I am building a CTF map loacted in the treetops. I can preform my own orginal design and handle most of the technicalities with flare. If you follow the link located under my signature pic to my site and try out my latest map - CTF-SolidRock - you'll see that I as an artist excell in certain areas - however in some I do not. This is the case with my lighting for this level. I need Candle Stands, Lanterns, Torches, and the like. Finely designed and detailed decorations - not something you slop together using a few custom brushes. So please don't misunderstand me, ok?

Again I re-iterate DeeperShade - I respect your stand and I understand where you are coming from. Fine we have establishd this, now you and Gabriel (since apparently you believe the same) have a VERY simple duty - provided you truly want to be helpfull. Point me to where I can go to obtain what I need for my level - someone who can help me - and you have my gratitude. Otherwise I'm just going to have to find someone to help me simply import what I need into Unreal Tournament. I don't care about copyrights, etc. - I only care about finishing my level and getting it to look good. I will do what I must to accomplish this goal - HOWEVER I am willing to go a route you deem acceptable if you show me the way.

Thank You -
- Deathbliss

CousCous

Hysteric
Mar 20, 2001
Chicago
Visit site
Does the forum have a kickvote? ;)

Nah, I'm just kidding. This guy is hilarious, I'd hate to see him go. "Help me dammit! Or you'll be forcing me to do something illegal!" Hah! I love it. And "you have 'a VERY simple duty' to help me, despite the fact that I think your ethics and opinions are a bunch of crap!" "Screw yourself! Help me!" Woohoo!

(And I thought Deepershade was bad at diplomacy....DS is like Gandhi next to this guy.) :)

But of course I'm only paraphrasing...some people might think it's foolish to ask someone for assistance, moments after insulting them...but not me! I think it's freakin' funny as hell!

Keep it up Deathbliss, (as I'm sure you will) you're slaying me.

DrWinky

i didnt do evil school to be called Mr
Jun 20, 2001
UK
Visit site
whats a level without light?

Hey deathbliss,

Im not saying that ur a bad level designer if you cant make your own lights..... well.... i am actually. Oh well.

I dont care how good you are at creating "Finely designed and detailed decorations " when you cant see them. Thats pointless.

Go away and learn how to do lighting, and then come back and bitch about not being able to do what you want. I was perfectly civil in my post, but you spat your dummy out and tried to talk down to me. Fair enough. Next time you need any help, i wont be rushing frwards with the answer.

I may no have it, but hell, at least ill try and be civil about suggestions :)

Peace.

DrWinky

DeeperShade

Banned
Dec 8, 2000
www.tar-valon.com
Re: DrWinky:

Originally posted by Deathbliss
I am building a CTF map loacted in the treetops. I can preform my own orginal design and handle most of the technicalities with flare. If you follow the link located under my signature pic to my site and try out my latest map - CTF-SolidRock - you'll see that I as an artist excell in certain areas - however in some I do not. This is the case with my lighting for this level. I need Candle Stands, Lanterns, Torches, and the like. Finely designed and detailed decorations - not something you slop together using a few custom brushes. So please don't misunderstand me, ok?

Again I re-iterate DeeperShade - I respect your stand and I understand where you are coming from. Fine we have establishd this, now you and Gabriel (since apparently you believe the same) have a VERY simple duty - provided you truly want to be helpfull. Point me to where I can go to obtain what I need for my level - someone who can help me - and you have my gratitude. Otherwise I'm just going to have to find someone to help me simply import what I need into Unreal Tournament. I don't care about copyrights, etc. - I only care about finishing my level and getting it to look good. I will do what I must to accomplish this goal - HOWEVER I am willing to go a route you deem acceptable if you show me the way.

Thank You -
- Deathbliss

If you want to make your own decorations then you could try using MilkShape3D. Its pretty easy to learn. You can download ms3d from http://www.swissquake.ch/chumbalum-soft/

If you still want to export the models from WOT then you could try asking on the infograme forums http://ina-community.com/forums/index.php

Deathbliss

UT Engineer
Apr 9, 2001
USA
www.planetunreal.com
CousCous and DrWinky

DrWinky, please read below:

"hey there, I have to put in my word here, just because, well.... i can. I feel that a level is fairly easy to create, (not easy to make it good however), and the basic layout isnt that much of an art, but the lighting can make or break it. You claim to be an artist and yet struggle with an artistc approach. I dont know what you are trying to do, but i have found that you should be able to do anything you want, or get a close apprximation, without resorting to plagerism. Look at a lighting tutorial and have a play. This will give you the diversity to make different lighting in future maps. Have a go, and see what you come up with."

As you can see I did not strike the first blow. Also at this point I will point out that you are accusing me of not knowing how to do lights (in essence and in loose translation from what you have said) - in fact it seems you haven't even tried any of my maps. Then you have the audacity to tell me you were being civil. On top of that you say "I dont care how good you are at creating "Finely designed and detailed decorations " when you cant see them. Thats pointless." this statement is taken out of context and is merely an opinion of yours and it isn't relevenat at all. The final blow is when you offend me by saying I am a bad level designer. Who the **** do you think you are? I'm tempted to track you down and teach you the real meaning of civil by shoving it right up your fat, lazy ass. Unless you have something constructive to add here don't add anything at all - ok?

CousCous:

Did you even bother to read this post? I asked for instructions on how to import decorations from WOT into UT and I get preached at and offended - on top of that no-one is willing to actually help me thus encouraging me to pursue other means. This was not a threat, it's a simple fact just like the simple fact that I need certian lights for my level - lighting decorations to be perfectly clear. I also made myself perfectly clear that I am more than willing to do this in a way that is unoffensive to those here who took offense, asking they only help me out. You better go get your head checked out man because you have as SERIOUS mental problem.

DeeperShade:
Thank you - I'll look into the first link you provided. I will not offend you by following the second link, and I meant no offense in the first place by my post here.

Ok well this about closes things up...
- Deathbliss

combitz

Common sense is not that common
May 1, 2000
U.K
combitz.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk
Hi folks.
Sorry i didn't get back to you yesterday but i had to much work to do but he I have some news:-

I don't want to offend anyone but:

It's official If you rip textures out of another game or any copyright material then- "it is a breach of copyright and the owners of the copyright have the write to sue". Straight from the horses mouth so to say.

There you have it, I will not preach but you have been warned. Make of this what you will but I just thought I'd set the record straight so everyone knows.

ohh and this is regardless of if you are selling it or not!

:mad:

Shame:(

Luminuis

Herald of the Newest Dawn
Deathbliss: As to your claim of not striking the first blow, well, yes you did, when DeeperShade tried to prevent you from a lawsuit that you would more than probably lose, he was, in my opinion, being nice and trying to keep you from not having enough money to even buy fries at McDonalds, and yet you insulted him with your reply. I will not go on as to how you should appologize to him, more because I don't think there is a proper way.

Now this may just be my opinion, but I don't think you should have taken DS's kidness and then attacked him because you wanted to do something Illegal and then asked how to do it on these forums, I'm very suprised no one attacked you and flamed you for trying to do that, because that is usually what happens when people ask for warez here.

DeeperShade gave you a great alternative if you ask me, now make your own fool.

Deathbliss

UT Engineer
Apr 9, 2001
USA
www.planetunreal.com
Gabriel:

I was talking to DrWinky when I mentioned stricking the first blow - since he claimed he had been civil and I was proving relative to him he hadn't. Also I have every right to get pissed off ot DeeperShade becuase what I was getting at him was a sermon to a belief I don't subscribe to. Since then I have devoloped an understanding of his stand and viewpoint, and for what it's worth to DeeperShade at least I offer an apology for any offenses not deserved that I delivered here. Now I did not come into this forum asking for Warez - I am offended you even suggestd that. No one gives a rats ass about Wheel Of Time now Gabriel (5 total files at File Planet!) and what I want to do only incoperates the use of a few decorations. If I had the e-mail address I'd ask the original authors of these works for their permission. Let's assume I was able to do something like that and they said yes - what would you say then - huh? Most likely this scenerio won't happen however and I have half figured out how to do what I want to import these. They won't sue me BTW - it's not worth their time, effort, and money to do so. Plus I can hype the game as I give credit for what I use so even if they did they'd come out looking bad. As I said I have a level to finish - I require certian lights - I am willing to take a path that those here offended by my question would prefer but since I can't I'm going at this the way that gets me what I need. I will get what I desire and to be frank I don't care what you have to say about it. I'll respect your opinions but that's it. All I can say is I'm not the only one that wants this info, so on top of doing this once I learn it I'm sharing with others - live with it!

Later!
- Deathbliss