What would revive the UT franchise?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
Huh? There's enough of close combat in there. Of course WAR maps are something different.

Bi()ha2arD

Toxic!
Jun 29, 2009
Germany
phobos.qml.net
3) Fix moves and players models. UT3 came close to what we had in ut99 but since ut2k3 we still have to deal with choppy "scissor walking" moves, strange Quakish jumpy strafes, bad choice of textures, so players are still hard to see at distance. If you need an animator or rigger, there're plenty out there to help you. Hitbox is still huge in ut3 which kills all fun from instant weapons. Make it smaller, please. CliffyB promised us close combat and going back to ut99 roots. We still have to fight at long distance. Not even close to ut99. Why?

That's practically it.

well, they aren't so big really. At least in no relation to the actual meshes. I constantly shoot thru Kraal heads without getting that headshot :mad:

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
I thought CliffyB no longer worked on UT? :B
Anyway yeah it happens that I get most of the kills with some close-ranged RL or FC battles.

WHIPperSNAPper

Mar 22, 2003
Visit site
I don't think they have a registered copyright on it, but it would be hard to argue that you didn't copy it if the particulars of how it worked were nearly the same (and therefore infringing on an IMPLIED copyright, everything you make is technically copyrighted)

I don't think they need a specific registered copyright on the shock rifle. The shock rifle would be protected by the general copyright on UT. The copyright doesn't merely protect the copying of the work as a whole and allow the copying of parts; it protects all of it. I've thought of this too--try to replicate UT99 in some sort of a general public license open source game. Only problem is that it would be impossible to replicate the shock rifle because it is so non-obvious. It would also be hard to duplicate the flak rifle. A shotgun would work, but the shot pellets can't bounce off walls without its being too similar to the shock rifle. It might also be hard to replicate the Ripper.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Well, that's what I was getting at by saying it was implied :) It doesn't really need to be covered by the general copyright of UT because everything you make has an implied copyright as long as you can prove first ownership.

Sparty304

Dec 20, 2009
Deck 16
Bring back Xan

He was a good character and they should make a campaign based off him leading "The Corrupt" doing jobs and missions for Liandri. That or base a story off him and his team entering and competing in the next Liandri Grand Tournament.

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
I don't think they need a specific registered copyright on the shock rifle. The shock rifle would be protected by the general copyright on UT. The copyright doesn't merely protect the copying of the work as a whole and allow the copying of parts; it protects all of it. I've thought of this too--try to replicate UT99 in some sort of a general public license open source game. Only problem is that it would be impossible to replicate the shock rifle because it is so non-obvious. It would also be hard to duplicate the flak rifle. A shotgun would work, but the shot pellets can't bounce off walls without its being too similar to the shock rifle. It might also be hard to replicate the Ripper.

U4E shotgun, the spas one, has semi bouncing pellets.

xMurphyx

Jun 2, 2008
liandri.darkbb.com
The Flak is probably ok to copy. Jedi Knight 2 has this flechette launcher thingy which works pretty much exactly like the Flak except its secondary balls bounce too, irrc.

Last edited:

Northrawn

Feb 21, 2009
The Flak is probably ok to copy. Jedi Knight 2 has this flechette launcher thingy which works pretty much exactly like the Flak except its secondary balls bounce too, irrc.

If the Shock is slightly altered, I think it is OK too.

It could shoot slow RPG (Rocket Prepelled Grenades) instead of Plasma Balls and have a very fast projectile* instead of an instahit beam. As tradeof the hit-radius could be a bit bigger.

lucifur

68.232.183.18:7777 Redeemer/Nali Server
Nov 19, 2009
Nebraska
When I played unreal, I was immersed in the game, it wasn't about the graphics, It was more about the mystery of a world that was filled with a peaceful people, a people who had been subjugated by the Skarj,... the Nali people really had no use for technology, but they needed a hero to bring them redemption from the chaos of slavery.

The game environment was more about art than it was flamboyancy.

Time spent there left me with a rested mind, and a peaceful hart, even if only for a moment.

It seems that today games tend to focus on graphics and fancy effects, and the art is something that is left up to chance... that with all the fancy textures and malty polygonal structures, they are not presented with soul, but rather with technology, which leaves them dry.

I think something that will make games more appealing in the future will be to get back in touch with what it is that really makes us human, and that's our imagination, more than our technology alone.

Shane

Last edited:

lucifur

68.232.183.18:7777 Redeemer/Nali Server
Nov 19, 2009
Nebraska
NO ****ING GAYSPY! NO ****ING CONSOLES! [/QUOTE said:
I was reading back through the post and I did not know that there was such contempt for the consoles, as a game plat form, it's news to me.

I do understand that a production company might adversely alter there product in an attempt to satisfy a particular outlet medium, as has been proven, but I have had friends of friends join my server that had only played console previously, and they are no different than any other gamer, "They just want game"

I think the problem is the CEO of particular unnamed company's such as epic, end up patronizing a particular aspect of there product,... which has the opposite effect than is anticipated.

One could argue that the reason for pushing the game genre into the console arena is that without the expected ability to mod the game you also have less opportunity to pirate the game and it's features as well.

It's funny because gamers know that the real drive behind any game is the opportunity to be a part of it, in the modding side of it you can play your friends map, a map made by some guy in Germany, it's a feeling of human companionship that I think a lot of us are after.

People give DOOM the credit of being the game that started it all, I am not sure if I agree with that as I played Wolfenstein before I played doom, but we all know that it's popularity soared in part because every collage student from one end to the other was making maps and posting them for others to play.

Some have said that the ability to mod UT3 was neutered compared to UT2004 and previous versions, possibly with that it's popularity was also neutered?

I personally have only made maps for UT2004 so I am not sure what they did to UT3 my self, but I can see after reading post on this forum,... I am getting more in site as to some of the aspects of whats really going on behind the official perception.

In conclusion, maybe something that would help UT3 or future epic products come back to the main stream would be to make there customers a priority rather than the thieves who would steal there precious ideas.

I know this has been said before, I am just saying it in my words.

(personal note: when I click on the link UT-FILES that skills has with his post I get this "Error in download.ut on line 8295.
./Weapons/EnhancedSniper.zip is already defined."?)

Shane

Last edited:

Northrawn

Feb 21, 2009
When I played unreal, I was immersed in the game, it wasn't about the graphics, It was more about the mystery of a world that was filled with a peaceful people, a people who had been subjugated by the Skarj,... the Nali people really had no use for technology, but they needed a hero to bring them redemption from the chaos of slavery.

The game environment was more about art than it was flamboyancy.

Time spent there left me with a rested mind, and a peaceful hart, even if only for a moment.

It seems that today games tend to focus on graphics and fancy effects, and the art is something that is left up to chance... that with all the fancy textures and malty polygonal structures, they are not presented with soul, but rather with technology, which leaves them dry.

I think something that will make games more appealing in the future will be to get back in touch with what it is that really makes us human, and that's our imagination, more than our technology alone.

Shane

The problem is that this could revive the Unreal franchise, not the Unreal Tournament franchise.

KillerSkaarj

Art for swans is dope!
Jan 24, 2008
Nothing could revive UT because it's not dead. Go back and play UT2004, there's tons of servers still there. Hell, UT1 still has tons of servers. Unless you're trying to say UT3's dead, which it isn't either, because it clearly still has servers as well. Hell, if UT3's dead, then Unreal 1 might as well be dead too, right?

Maybe if there were less people moaning and whining and instead playing the freaking game and making more mods for it, maybe it WOULDN'T be dead. Take advice from the Unreal 1 community and mod the crud outta the game. Because when a company has abandoned a game (a MODDABLE game no less), then it's in the community's hands to support the game, no matter how old or young it is. The company can't (and probably won't) do everything for you. If you can't support the game yourself, then let the game die, quit complaining, and go back to UT2004 or UT1.

You think this isn't true? Look at Unreal 1. Epic abandoned the game and almost refuses to acknowledge its existence. And yet there's still a community. The game is alive and well because people didn't sit there and complain to Epic for several years (or in UT3's case, two years) and call the game dead after they haven't replied. No, instead we tried (and succeeded) to support the community and the game by building maps, mods, and making most of the servers fun to play instead of it being "vanilla" with no mods but with craploads of custom maps.

As a final note, if you can't support the game with your own talents (or lack thereof), then you might as well uninstall the game and leave the Unreal series for good, because it's obvious you don't care one bit for the game. And don't tell me "oh, but it's hard to mod for." Bullsh*t! If you really cared for the game, you would be willing to overcome any obstacle to keep the game alive. Otherwise, don't even bother.

And finally, I will close with a quote from DemoGuy himself: "I think I've made my point."

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
Disclaimer: Didn't take time to read entire thread, which is usually against my rules, but here we go.

TLDR; Trim the fat.

A lot of what this franchise has offered is great on paper, but I think sometimes it's too much. I like mods, but the amount of crappy mods that happen are kinda meh. They seem to, more than anything, prolong the golden years of the games life, and no one really wants to live more years in a geriatric state.

Stop trying to revive old weapons unless you've got really good ideas. Go with what works. If something else doesn't fit, ditch it. There really doesn't have to be 10-12 weapons in the game. I like that aspect, but for simplicity sake...

Make the game pirate-able. I'm all for buying the games, and supporting the franchise, but I view that like music. If I want someone to check it out, I put it like free samples style. Or on the other side, if I wanna check a band out, I don't buy their ****, I download, and if I listen to it, buy it later. A demo isn't enough. This game is very community driven, and I don't think demos offer enough of that. UT probably had the best online numbers and !!! it was easy to pass around.

Core gametypes. I know some of you miss assault, and I loved it too, but gametypes like assault, or onslaught especially, tend to present such a vastly different form of gameplay, that you split your community. It's not really, mechanically the same game. You might as well release two different titles, one with vehicles, and one without, and cut the price in half. Assault is a bit too objective driven, and, if you're anything like me, this franchise is about the hardcore fragging. Assault can take away from that in some resepects.

Focus on the average PC. In all respects. Make it playable on a normal system, not one decked to the nines. Make it designed for a keyboard and mouse in mind. Not a controller. Have a full functioning server browser, not involved match making system. If you want a ranking system of sorts, use it as a guide, and not as much for definition. Like a warning system to new players, as to who is going to give them a run, and who is going to own them.

I've been playing l4d2, and it's the same engine as the first. Same gameplay. They fixed bugs, tweaked stuff, and added stuff. It's great. It's one of the best sequels I've ever played. If you wanna make a new engine, make a new game. Hell, make the same game on two engines. Still to this day, I would love to play UT, or even 2k4 with weapon tweaks for today's improved pings. Other titles don't really have the problems of UT's weapon diversity, because, well... most games are hitscan, realism, line of sight, mechanically all the same. RoF, Damage, clip size, and Cone change, and that's about it. Those are easy to balance, and really, don't require tons of balance.

I agree with brizz, that the entry to this game is too much, but it goes far beyond just gameplay. Fat needs to be trimmed.

Last edited:

Sparty304

Dec 20, 2009
Deck 16
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

:eek:
Nothing could revive UT because it's not dead. Go back and play UT2004, there's tons of servers still there. Hell, UT1 still has tons of servers. Unless you're trying to say UT3's dead, which it isn't either, because it clearly still has servers as well. Hell, if UT3's dead, then Unreal 1 might as well be dead too, right?

Maybe if there were less people moaning and whining and instead playing the freaking game and making more mods for it, maybe it WOULDN'T be dead. Take advice from the Unreal 1 community and mod the crud outta the game. Because when a company has abandoned a game (a MODDABLE game no less), then it's in the community's hands to support the game, no matter how old or young it is. The company can't (and probably won't) do everything for you. If you can't support the game yourself, then let the game die, quit complaining, and go back to UT2004 or UT1.

You think this isn't true? Look at Unreal 1. Epic abandoned the game and almost refuses to acknowledge its existence. And yet there's still a community. The game is alive and well because people didn't sit there and complain to Epic for several years (or in UT3's case, two years) and call the game dead after they haven't replied. No, instead we tried (and succeeded) to support the community and the game by building maps, mods, and making most of the servers fun to play instead of it being "vanilla" with no mods but with craploads of custom maps.

As a final note, if you can't support the game with your own talents (or lack thereof), then you might as well uninstall the game and leave the Unreal series for good, because it's obvious you don't care one bit for the game. And don't tell me "oh, but it's hard to mod for." Bullsh*t! If you really cared for the game, you would be willing to overcome any obstacle to keep the game alive. Otherwise, don't even bother.

And finally, I will close with a quote from DemoGuy himself: "I think I've made my point."

The Force is strong with you.

I dont think the Unreal series ever died I just dont think very many people know about it. UT99 was the first Unreal and FPS game I ever played 10 years ago and it's still my favorite. But when I go out to stores or Gamestores I never EVER see Unreal games besides a copy of UT3 on the bottom shelf at Gamestop. I have every Unreal game and I was lucky to find them all. The reason I have 2 copys of UT99GOTY is because it came with Unreal Gold and the other copy came with Unreal Anthology. Same goes for UT2K4 and U2. Only one time ever have i seen a PS2 copy of UT99 in a gamestop for 2$ so i bought it and it didnt work :p but the only game ive actually seen on shelves are Unreal RTNP, Unreal, U2K3. All the others came in things like Gold and Anthology.
What im trying to get at is that i think a big reason people dont play very much is because the game doesnt have any publicity. UT3 was the only game ive actually even seen a trailer for. If they would put more copys of the games out, people would see and get into it more. 10 years of Unreal and the first UT99 is still the most popular among those who know about it. I know many people who have never heard of the Unreal series even after UT3 came out.

btw Merry Christmas.