What would revive the UT franchise?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
Starsky stuff were good, it were the KR songs being pretty much all terrible with horrid tracks such as Rankin and Sulphur. At least he improved in UC2 and UT3.
But overall there was nothing memorable.

1x.

UT99 Instagib 'ladder' champion
Oct 25, 2009
U.S.A. (West)
Honestly I prefer UT3 OST over the UT one, I am never been a big fan of the music of the latter. Original Mech8 is still the king though, and Nether is a beast. FireBR on the other hand is awful, and Skyward makes me go asleep.
The trophy still goes to the Unreal 1 music anyway.

Mech8 was my favorite as well! did you ever play Coret? FireBR actually went perfect with Coret, and Skyward is the right kind of mellow IMO, Organic kicks hard too, not to mention the short but sweet Cannon, heck Run & Saveme even owned, lets not forget Lock.

Edit....
Funny your ears must be burning, i was just quoting you (hadn't been here in days) and you posted a couple minutes ahead of me.

Last edited:

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
I generally prefer Electro music, so stuff like Mech8, Nether, Organic, Phantom and Go Down are my favourite. And that's the same with UT3 OST (Lockdown kicks ass). Not a fan of stuff such as Enigma or Seeker though, and obviously not of techno-orchestral mix stuff (KR tracks in UT2k4).
Can't seem to like FireBR in every way, I simply don't like its sounds (and this is for any other Teque track).

Probably the kind of gameplay in the UT games also count. I think I'll probably like Skyward better in a SP map, but about the ambient genre the music from Unreal 1 was waaaaaay better.

Razorjack

Lone Walker
Dec 18, 2008
The Netherlands
I think Mechanism Eight [UT3 Remix] starts out awesome, but loses its pace early in the second minute, and then when the beats start again with that distorted noise, it sounds rediculous.

My favorites on the UT3 soundtrack are probably Mekalopolis and Robo Mall.

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
Rom ran out of ideas while remixing Mech8. Definitely the only bad remix since Mech8 was already awesome by its own. He should have revamped the sound quality and that is.
Foregone Remix is kind of bleh too and then I am not even keen on the original at all. I hate CTF-anyFacingTowermap too much.

Benfica

European Redneck
Feb 6, 2006
Jesper Kyd is God. Amiga Demoscene and UT3 :)

I always had the impression the name was familiar each time I read it ...

Scuzzbuster

It's Crunchy. It's Nice.
Jan 28, 2001
Indiana, USA
www.deviantknowledge.com
Is this question still going? Everyone knows the answer is giant mother****ing lasers.

Strapped to the heads of sharks...

I played solid virtually every day for almost 8 years, from the early days of UT, through 2k3, 2k4, UT3. Some good, some bad. I agree with those that say it's "the good ole days" syndrome. I pounded through a LOT of FPS intermixed in the UT years. Some were quite fun for a while. The worst of the Unreal titles still blew away 90% of virtually any other FPS I've played on PC or Consoles.

Look at the PC and Online Gaming Market in 1999 - Q3, UT, Counterstrike, and uhhhh...well...

Look at the PC and Online Gaming Market in 2003, then again in 2004, 2007, 2009...

For anyone that's been around here for the last 10 years, there is virtually NOTHING comparable to the market 10 years ago. PC gaming isn't dead, Console gaming doesn't suck. We should be thrilled that in last decade Gaming has gone from something stupid, nerdy kids did to being the most mainstream form of leisure activity across most demographics. When I was 12, I played Donkey Kong and my parents didn't understand. Now I'm pushing 40, my parents are dead and I'm playing Mario games with my 12 year old...as well as UT3 on xbox and PC.

UT isn't dead of it's own doing. Even the most shortsighted things Epic have done are really nothing compared to any average developer. UT has been a financial success across the board. The worst selling title of the franchise was probably the best console version of any of them (UC2), it's just another shooter in a sea of endless releases that come and go. Hell, look at Call of Duty. Massively popular, but they crank out the titles faster than Starbucks dishes out Latte.

UT and Q3A started the storm of real time online gaming. They set the standard. Nothing will ever be the same again. Seriously, does anyone still really think that UT3 doesn't have players because the weapons balance, or buggy initial release or because the player models were too stubby? Every time a new UT title has come out, it's got 10 times as many similar games coming out in the same financial quarter. UT, Q3, Tribes...How many real online FPS were there in 1999? 4? 5?

Seriously. The highest rated sitcom on US television of all time was The Beverly Hillibillies. It would get phenomenal numbers. Sometimes 35 million homes tuned in on any given night for a new episode. So when new show launches in 2009 and is considered a smashing success when it gets 5 million US viewers, is this because it's lower quality than the Clampett Clan? It's because in 1968 there 3 channels. In 2008 there were 300.

In 1999 there were fewer shooters on the market than are released in the average month or financial quarter in now. The choices grow larger than the market. If I want to shoot the hell out of people online I have dozens of choices on any given day just on my game shelf alone. In 2000, I had UT, I had Q3, I had Tribes. UT won, and when I finally pulled my head out of my PC 8 years later it took some time to admit that the market had changed, not my game.

UT2003...UT2004? As good as UT? Not in my mind, but still better than virtually any other shooters I played in the first first 8 years of this decade. I miss the good ole days, too. But the market isn't about what new shooter is going to be a staple for the next 4 years, it's about what will next month's Call of Duty title be about. Fine games in their own right, but just not the same.

When 2k3 came out, we had people in here moaning for what went wrong and wanting a return to UT. These same people are still saying the community died that day. Funny thing is, there are still people trolling and posting here that never played UT99 and felt EXACTLY the same way when UT3 came out and they wondered what the hell happened to their good ole UT2004.

The good ole days are gone, but there's still a lot of great gaming out there. It's just a different world.

Phew, December. Thought for a moment I wouldn't get my yearly post in. Do I hold the record for the longest amount of time registered with the fewest posts yet?

iounas

Mar 7, 2009
For anyone that's been around here for the last 10 years, there is virtually NOTHING comparable to the market 10 years ago. PC gaming isn't dead, Console gaming doesn't suck. We should be thrilled that in last decade Gaming has gone from something stupid, nerdy kids did to being the most mainstream form of leisure activity across most demographics.

Well because of increase of casuals the games are made for them..
Old school deathmatch is too hard and frustrating for them so companies make games that cater to them..
All these new games are similar.. All are shooters with real guns and you must not be moving to shoot so everybody has enough time to aim and recoil is also a thing of luck.
And casuals have consoles so games are made for consoles and then ported to pc..

Adelheid

Bernstein
Jan 23, 2008
Nowhere.
What would revive the UT franchise?

1) A sharp rise in IQ's leading to people choosing gameplay over graphics.
2) Companies accepting that we, the buying public, do not buy shiny new overpowered PC's every year.

d3tox

Face down in a pool of his own vomit.
Apr 8, 2008
Keeping this thread alive will bring it back!

Benfica

European Redneck
Feb 6, 2006
Visit other forums where people talk about UT3 but don't play it either. Like UT, UT2004, PS3 and Steam

Malevol3nt

May 29, 2008
So make a team, grab UDK by the balls, and squeeze it until UT4 pops out. Why bother Epic about it?

Hideinlight

May 12, 2008
An accessible online platform where people can get together effortlessly to play the game.

What's better?

A 1000 users hanging out at hundreds difference of forums trying to find someone/anyone to play with.

or

Throwing those 1000 players in one room as soon as they run the game and letting them decide who to play with.

Lethargy

Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra
Feb 24, 2006
Name it Open Tournament, make 100% custom assets and build it from scratch?

This might work for Quake, as none of the weapons are exceptionally unique in terms of their base design, but in the case of UT, the shock rifle kind of ruins this option - I doubt there's really a non-infringing way to copy the shock combo.