What is your game?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Which INF do you prefer? (excluding INF 2.9)

• INF 2.86 all by it's vanilla self. Yummers.

Votes: 39 36.1%
  • RAV2 with compass/dtas/etc

Votes: 55 50.9%
  • RA2.86 with compass/dtas/etc

Votes: 10 9.3%
  • Something else (previous version, etc)

Votes: 4 3.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

NeoLancer

«STS»Cypher
May 26, 2002
Vancouver, Canada
Visit site
Its hard trying to show a more realistic game to 'CS-style' players and the such. Just yesterday I had a friend of mine over (Smogee to any CS'ers here) and we were playing Ghost Recon: Island Thunder on my XBox. While theres some things one could point out about how its not realistic, its still pretty real I think. Anyways, the guy can't play more than 10 minutes of it, just too slow and he can't accept not being able to jump about and stupid **** like that. But I managed to get him to try 2.90 when it comes out. Anyways, my point is that too long semi-realistic games have been pumped into the market...so many that there brand of realism is considered to be whats real. I think that if a few games like Inf (if not Inf itself) were being pushed to a wider audience by a popular company you would see games that aim for the most realistic experiance possible stop being such a 'nitch'. Hopefully Sentry will look at making there game retail (I know, that would blow for us, but it would serve a greater purpose...or something to that effect, heh) once they move to a new engine and have a satisfactory build in place.

Camel_Toe(l)

Form Fitting
Mar 19, 2001
Not Toledo!
heya Yurch, I liked 2.85.3 because of the times I had with my buds who played the game. ILCR was in high form and so was community involvement and competition. 2.85.3 may not be the most "clean" version of inf, but I had the best times playing it.

2.86 was an ok release, but it doesn't feel right to me (and hundreds of other people). You did a hell of a job with RA, but it just isn't my bag.

yurch

Swinging the clue-by-four
May 21, 2001
USA, Maryland.
Visit site
Camel_Toe(l) said:
heya Yurch, I liked 2.85.3 because of the times I had with my buds who played the game. ILCR was in high form and so was community involvement and competition. 2.85.3 may not be the most "clean" version of inf, but I had the best times playing it.
I wasn't really being sarcastic, I still miss 2.85 games with buds as well. Back when I was more an (obscure) player than a forumer. :(
RA was originally a response to keep my little tight-knit group together at the advent of 2.86...

Dr.J

Staying Alive.
Nov 25, 2001
Hong Kong
www.alkdjflakdjfksj.com
i must say that RAv2 is legendary :) it keeps me playing botmatches once in a while ;) you legend yurch :D !

and vanilla online is just too crazy.... i dont mind it but doesnt really feel like what inf is meant to be :(

[C22]-SpOOky

Inf Old-Timer
Oct 22, 2002
England
spooky.c-22.org
Vanilla for me 2

Ohh and why is it that the RAv2 voters Feel the need to slag off Vanilla

This is exactly why most the vanilla community Dont use thease forums
Yet The Vanilla Community is More active than any other

Even after 2 years the Vanilla servers are active every night and not just 1 server Catch 22, wargames, inforcers & Muf all are active servers
Not bad eh ;)

Alot of the rav2 players who slag off Vanilla are not even actively playing :rolleyes:

Why cant people just cast their vote and post what they like .. we dose it always have to decend into a Vanilla sux thread :mad:

Vanilla Rules .... dont belive me ? Monitor the servers :D

MunkE

Complete ****ing loon
Apr 26, 2000
the bad side of Hell
asuka.norfair.org
I like vanilla offline. Mostly because its fun in its own right to lay waste to bots. Online its not very rewarding because of all the ways people abuse it. My first online Vanilla experience some chawch was walking around lobbing nades everywhere. AND WON THE ROUND!!!!! I immediately switched to a RA server right after that.

RAv2 is a much more solid online experience because it forces the player to play the game in the manner it was meant to be. No rambos, just good squad level shootouts and sniper/counter sniper action.

Last edited:

(SDS)benmcl

Why not visit us here in the real world.
May 13, 2002
Visit site
I hate Vanilla but I have no problem with people who play it. Part of the problem I have is when a few, and I stress few, Vanilla players come on to an RA server and complain for two hours about being slow, why can't I have this load out etc, etc. I am sure that some Vanilla servers may have the same problem.

When I started INF before RA and never ever seen a single instince of team play on a Vanilla server. Not once and I playe many times. It was run around, nade, spray repeat. Same thing over and over. If you like that fine but I don't.

As for the Vanilla servers being full and RA "being dead". Most of us are trying different things or dealing with RL until 2.9 comes out.

Grim_Reaper ~UFS~

You're all gay and stupid.
Aug 1, 2002
coolgamer1.50megs.com
RA286 is really fun, kind of like the middle area between 2.86 vanilla and full out RAv2. I love the flame grenades, tripbombs, and how easy full auto is (bad thing at times). RAv2 is better when you have a lot of people though because then you can actually play more tactically.

jaymian

Sweet Merciful Crap!
Jan 25, 2001
Actually RAV2 is great, but without the gps, dtas, and all the other little muties, it would get boring quick. If INF 2.86 had objectives besides just killing and being "NUMBER ONE!" it could still be fun. DTAS forces teamwork, and with the gps and report direction it helps even more.

I do bash INF 2.86 because to me it was a move in the wrong direction for INF. This is evident from INF 2.9 and where it went. And to me, the movement speed is a bug, and it should be treated like one. But instead, every single person on a vanilla server exploits it. It would be like earlier versions of INF, where the lean was buggy, and you could NOT see people online leaning, so you would die from an "invisible" guy, and it would be "just part of INF". Instead, people banned leaning online. If people on vanilla INF servers were respectful enough to stop sprinting and leap frogging around corners, I would still be on those servers. The reason people may think it is ok to play like that, is because there was no patch released to fix it. I think there should have been, but I guess the INF team felt they could get the next version of INF out the door quick, but when it didn't happen, they did not want to devote time to a small patch. And besides, people still play INF 2.86 like you say, so why waste the time. And for us who were sick of INF 2.86 "gameplay", we got mutators to "patch" our INF. Too bad it split the community. The true test will be INF 2.9. If you vanilla guys can play INF 2.9, and use teamwork, then great. But I think you guys will hate it, and it will take you a long while to get the idea that you are on a team, and need to act accordingly.

Only time will tell. Hope to see you guys on a INF 2.9 server soon. I want INF 2.9 to bring us all back together.

[C22]-SpOOky

Inf Old-Timer
Oct 22, 2002
England
spooky.c-22.org
Demosthanese said:
Counter Stike is an incredable game. Don't know why you guys bash it. If you don't believe me, check the servers;)

[/sarcasm]

We all think Infiltration is Incredible
I didnt say Vanilla was great or Incredible (that gose without saying) I just said Vanilla Inf is Still more actively Played ;)

The Rav2 Community seem to have more time devoted to Slagging off Vanilla
Than they do actually playing Rav2

But Vanilla Players are far to busy Enjoying Inf and dont have time to come here and Post about how bad they think Rav2 is

Personaly im an Infiltration fan Fullstop .

I dont Have anything against Rheumatoid-Arthritis-v2 players except the fact they they always have to Bitch about Vanilla ;)

benmcl said:
As for the Vanilla servers being full and RA "being dead". Most of us are trying different things or dealing with RL until 2.9 comes out.

I never said Rav2 was dead ;)
Just that Vanilla is more activly played Even after 2 years .. i guess that says summat .. and yeah i also hate the mofos who join servers and bitch
If people dont like the server they are on they should play on another or go d/l CS :D

jaymian said:
The true test will be INF 2.9. If you vanilla guys can play INF 2.9, and use teamwork, then great. But I think you guys will hate it, and it will take you a long while to get the idea that you are on a team, and need to act accordingly.
Only time will tell. Hope to see you guys on a INF 2.9 server soon. I want INF 2.9 to bring us all back together.
Yup i agree i think alot of the Vanilla Community might not like 2.9
But Not all
Im pretty sure Catch 22 will enjoy 2.9 and will adjust acordingly
When we play matchs our whole game is tactic bassed and has nothing to do with rushing and attacking so i dont forsee any problems there for us .
Sure we play rushy on publics But Puiblics is supossed to be fun imo
I personaly Cant wait for 2.9 to come out and once again reunite The communtiy
And i belive we will be as sucessful in that as we have with vanilla Not becuse i think we are faster than the rest, But purely becuase of our clans Great Team spirit and extensive experiance playing together useing teamwork ;)

Last edited:

Gaia

Nov 8, 2002
nottingham, england
Visit site
I personally play Vanilla and enjoy it - I have nothing against Real Aim players and keep meaning to give it a try sometime, but have never got round to it - part of the reason for this is these forums I have to admit. I get the impression from several threads I have read on this forum that a Vanilla player would not be welcomed on a RA server due to stereotypes you have of us....

Yes there are a few players who moan - there will be in any game as long as there are public servers and anyone can join. And for the record, several times I have seen RA players come into a Vanilla server and keep moaning as well, so it works both ways I guess.

However, it still annoys me that all vanilla players are tarred with the same brush. There are a lot of us that do use tactics and teamwork. There are many different styles of play amongst vanilla players, and I think that variety makes it interesting. On a full vanilla server you are usually up against both rushers and snipers, so it keeps you on your toes. And as Spooky said, there is a world of difference between having a bit of fun on a public server, and playing a match. We had a clan match last night on Norwich that lasted a long time and had plenty of teamwork!

Dr.J

Staying Alive.
Nov 25, 2001
Hong Kong
www.alkdjflakdjfksj.com
theres nothing wrong with vanilla or RAv2... i dont mind playing either and i dont think that all vanilla players are the same, just like i dont put all cs players in the same box (i know too many to do that ;) ) having only played inf online a couple of times, all i can say is that on public servers, vanilla is like any other game where we all go our own way. but the RAv2 online is a bit different... that literally forces people to work together, sometimes with people you dont know, but since most RAv2 players hang around here anyway, most of the time youre playing with people you 'know' and so are willing to cooperate with... and i like that.

and....
Originally posted by Gaia:
We had a clan match last night on Norwich that lasted a long time and had plenty of teamwork!

of course you need teamwork in clan matches... there wouldnt be much point in being in a clan if you didnt would it ;) ?

Last edited:

Crowze

Bird Brain
Feb 6, 2002
Cambridgeshire, UK
www.dan-roberts.co.uk
Although I haven't played vanilla for quite a long time, I find that RAv2, especially when combined with DTAS, encourages teamwork a lot more, which is what inf is all about.

Spooky, there may be a few RA players who 'slag off' vanilla inf, but for the most part we've got no problems with someone else having a different opinion. I'm sure there are some vanilla fans who feel the same about RA.

Vanilla players are always more than welcome to play on an RA server, as long as they don't moan about not being able to play like they do on vanilla servers.

[C22]-SpOOky

Inf Old-Timer
Oct 22, 2002
England
spooky.c-22.org
Crowze said:
Spooky, there may be a few RA players who 'slag off' vanilla inf, but for the most part we've got no problems with someone else having a different opinion.
I'm sure there are some vanilla fans who feel the same about RA.

Ive seen many posts on this forum were rav2 players seem to think they have to say Vanilla sux all the time

And I know, most the vanilla community feel unwelcome on this forum or dont want to post here which I think is very sad :(

Personaly I have no problem with who plays what, or for what reasons

For public play I want a bit of fun ;)
But yes I also want realism Thats why I joined a clan and do the teamwork thing in clan games, Best of both worlds ;)

There are alot of extras in Rav2 I really like
I personaly want some fun when I play on the publics .. I find Rav2 to slow for public play But that dont mean I hate those who play it, or that I think it suxs

Im very much looking forward to 2.9 But i will miss the fun ive had playing 2.86
;)

DallasStarsRule

making personal insults since 1999
Nov 7, 2001
Toronto
www.teammuf.com
There was some beautiful teamwork for league games though. I remember we'd have practices that would be just us walking around the map for 2 hours, marking all the pathes and hiding spots, and coming up with plans and contingencies. Then the actual match, which still remains the most exciting thing I've done on the internet. You'd have your roger wilco going, you'd have ups and downs because the other guys are pretty much as prepared as you, it'd all be very exciting. Nothing like being down 7-1 and trying to make a comeback :p

Best of all, you'd be playing with guys you play 10 hours a week on the pubs, so the competition factor is way higher than if its just some random dude.

Then afterwards on the pubs you'd just shoot the **** and talk. I dont like 'teamwork' per say on pubs because I dont care about winning public matches; I'd rather just having fun and talk. This is also why I dont play inf anymore, because everyone I liked playing with left, and now we just had retards on our servers.

Besides, in 2.86 teamwork is only useful if its translated into team camping. The speed of the game, and the effectivenes of the guns makes a swat-style advance useless in anything more than 2 people. This applies to RA too (I've played enough of that out of curiosity). Being mobile as a team is far less effective than being mobile as many individuals, which is unfortunate, but its true.

anywhos....just reminiscing...