Videogamer.com Interviews Steve Polge

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
Videogamer.com has posted an interview with Steve Polge, Project Lead on Unreal Tournament 3. In it, Steve talks about where the first person shooter genre is headed, his views on graphics in games, and even a bit about a possible sequel to Unreal.

VideoGamer.com: What's the likelihood of us ever seeing another single-player Unreal game? The last one was a long time ago...

SP: It was a long time ago! It's certainly something that we would love to do, but it's hard to say. The problem is that you always have more ideas and things you want to do than you have time to do them. I certainly hope it will happen one day, but we'll just have to figure out when the time is right. With the original Unreal, some of the things that were cool about it you really have to time right. At the time it when it came out it did some things, from a technology point of view, that hadn't been done before. It allowed us to have this kind of odd shooter with big exploration. "Oh look at this amazing vista!" You've never walked out in the open before, and now you can look off into the distance and see birds flying. So obviously if we did something like that again, we'd want it to have that same kind of feeling.

Hyrage

Apr 9, 2008
Unreal Singleplayer plz... story driven yeah...
I would like it I assume.

Last edited:

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
Unreal 3 will never happen, because there's no way they can make that same kind of technological leap when the original was released.

Besides ... a sequel to a game that no one cares about is going to be very hard to sell to both the few who do remember (and will hate any changes) and the majority who never saw the orignal (and thus wonder why anyone would want just another sf-shooter).

And as Steve Polge himself says : Epic just lacks the resources to even consider such a thing. They can barely manage GoW-sequel + Unreal-Engine development. I'd say that Epic would have to become twice the current size to be able to handle a second game.

/flame on indeed ...

elmuerte

Master of Science
Jan 25, 2000
the Netherlands
elmuerte.com
And as Steve Polge himself says : Epic just lacks the resources to even consider such a thing. They can barely manage GoW-sequel + Unreal-Engine development. I'd say that Epic would have to become twice the current size to be able to handle a second game.
Epic as in just Epic NC, or Epic NC with PCF and Chair?

Also, never say never. Unreal 3 sounds like a pet project, so it might happen (or not at all). There are quite some pet project floating around in gamedev land. And once in a while a pet project makes it to reality.

Anyway, I welcome a true Unreal 2 ... erm Unreal 3. But I do recognize the vast amount of art work needed to create a game the size of the original Unreal in "current gen".

Last edited:

KillerSkaarj

Art for swans is dope!
Jan 24, 2008
Besides ... a sequel to a game that no one cares about is going to be very hard to sell to both the few who do remember (and will hate any changes) and the majority who never saw the orignal (and thus wonder why anyone would want just another sf-shooter).

Sorry, wrong. Dead wrong. More people care about U1 than you can imagine. Plus, the ones that play Unreal 1 are well open for changes, as long as they don't pull another Unreal 2. If "the majority" didn't see or play Unreal 1, or even know it exists, then they have serious problems. Also, there's a full playthrough of the game on Youtube, so there's no excuse. Your ignorance amuses me.

/flame on indeed ...

Why are you asking for a flame war? If you knew there would be flaming why the hell did you bother to post this in the first place?

I would be willing to wait as long as several years for Epic to be able to make a true successor to Unreal 1. They don't have to make it right now. They could choose to make in the year 2015.

Last edited:

Interbellum

I used to be a man
May 17, 2008
Unreal 3 will never happen, because there's no way they can make that same kind of technological leap when the original was released.

QFT. Let it rest in peace, it doesn't belong in this time. TBH, neither does a sci-fi arena shooter like UT3, but, eh. Yeah. Guess gaming as a whole is sort of in limbo right now; the magic of the First Golden Age, the mid-late 90s, is gone, and the Second Golden Age (which will be powered by lifelike VR and hyper-realism in general) isn't yet upon us. But at least the best is yet to come. Holy ****, it will be so ****ing amazing!!

And now I'll get drunk, and take another shot @ that offline challenge thing...

Armagon917

TOAST
Mar 6, 2008
The Woodlands, Texas
I think we're going to see mostly Gears of War titles from EPIC for a while. There are action figures, hats at Walmart, even shirts at Hot Topic. :/ I think Gears 3 and then likely another Gears universe based IP. I think the Halo model is whats going to happen. Finish the trilogy and then things like Halo Wars/Recon. I'm not saying a Gears RPG just that I thik they will milk the IP.

Interbellum, I disagree that a Sci Fi arena based shooter is "doesn't belong in this time". If you release a bad game no matter what its aim it will fail. Arena based shooters simply need to be innovative now like what we saw with COD4. Halo 3 multiplayer has huge numbers on 360, TF2, and Quake LIVE show that there is still a huge desire for arena type gaming. I simply think there are more offerings out there now and numbers are scattered accross a lot of games with a robust multiplayer component. There is still the much untapped MMO shooter like what we saw with Planetside. I see why you would come to that conclusion but I have heard the opposite from a lot of people who are waiting for another UT99 or Quake III Arena.

Last edited:

Armagon917

TOAST
Mar 6, 2008
The Woodlands, Texas
COD4, innovative?:rolleyes:

Yes. I haven't seen customization for weapons like that before in a game. Theres Bioshock but with no multiplayer component. It was also the feel that you were working for something, instead of achievements that don't really do anything for you. don't mistake theme for features, with respect.

StalwartUK

Feb 12, 2008
England
Epic had their chance and they squandered it imo. In any case the UT brand is far more known so any future Unreal title will likely be released under that name.

In my view the Unreal franchise went wrong when Epic focused on making more UT games (that never really matched the first in quality) and handed over the single player side of things over to a second-rate developer that could probably care less about the Unreal universe. No wonder they got shut down not long after their game was released.

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
In my view the Unreal franchise went wrong when Epic focused on making more UT games (that never really matched the first in quality) and handed over the single player side of things over to a second-rate developer that could probably care less about the Unreal universe. No wonder they got shut down not long after their game was released.

Wrong. Legend Entertainment got Unreal technology to a whole new level and created miracles with a great story. If someone cared about it, that was Legend. Unreal II failed only because of Atari which simply threw Legend into oblivion and left no chance for the game to be updated with netcode. Almost everyone agree that Unreal II was fine, but just lacked replayability. With graphics, it was just amazing back at 2002.

I don't see why another Unreal series game would be impossible or bad. Both Unreal and Unreal II were cool, and Unreal III can be as cool. I don't think it should be a direct sequel to older Unreals - it's quite original to have them all unrelated, and then all of a sudden link everything to one in another Unreal game. Links to UT would be fun too. And we have to see that Green's World Rebellion!