Videogamer.com Interviews Steve Polge

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
And U2XMP actually doesn't have that lot of effects as Unreal2 has and is simplified, so no wonder why it runs better.

That's logical, because it's a MP game, and you wouldn't like to see too many effects that slow you down, but compared to UT2004, there are still a lot more effects.

I still prefer UTXMP because the vehicles seem to control better, but if people are actually playing either version of XMP I'd be inclined to join

It's still a shame that Epic didn't grab the guys from Legend who created the gametype. It would be a nice side-product for the franchise to go against stuff like TF2.

UTXMP vehicles also explode after they hit any wall though... Although I've made a small mutator that fixes it.

Yea, that would be cool. Hopefully XMP won't be forgotten in the future.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Read. Jafo's. Post.

No, you read it. I'll repost it and explain it for you:

Unreal 3 will never happen, because there's no way they can make that same kind of technological leap when the original was released.

Besides ... a sequel to a game that no one cares about is going to be very hard to sell to both the few who do remember (and will hate any changes) and the majority who never saw the orignal (and thus wonder why anyone would want just another sf-shooter).

And as Steve Polge himself says : Epic just lacks the resources to even consider such a thing. They can barely manage GoW-sequel + Unreal-Engine development. I'd say that Epic would have to become twice the current size to be able to handle a second game.

/flame on indeed ...

Besides ... a sequel to a game that no one cares about is going to be very hard to sell to both the few who do remember (and will hate any changes) and the majority who never saw the orignal (and thus wonder why anyone would want just another sf-shooter).

Unreal 3 would be a sequel to what game? Unreal 2. No one cares about it.

The majority never saw the original. That would be Unreal. The message there being that Unreal would not be the game most people would recall.

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
I really doubt Unreal III would be a sequel to Unreal II, because there's nothing to sequel (all your crew is dead and Artifacts are in a star). It will probably be a link between Unreal and Unreal II and maybe UT series, with Green's World Rebellion being the centre event.

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
I really doubt Unreal III would be a sequel to Unreal II, because there's nothing to sequel (all your crew is dead and Artifacts are in a star). It will probably be a link between Unreal and Unreal II and maybe UT series, with Green's World Rebellion being the centre event.
He's not talking a sequel in the literal sense. Unreal II wasn't a sequel to Unreal I, either, but it was still called Unreal II.

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006

Green World Rebellion is boring topic (can be considered maybe only as side topic but never main one, angry miners going against who? only humans? I already was fed with fighting a lot of humans in current Unreal2), seriously.

Besides the rebellion is obviously inspired by http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_Corn_Rebellion

And there is a lot to sequel in Unreal2, in fact the story can continue and it was not clear whether all of your crew was dead (even Cliff Bleszinsky hinted that, when Legend was not closed yet as they planned surely some sp expansion with the cut things being taken back in), besides there could be made flashbacks to aida's past and actually take part in strider war and also visit all the locations that have been cut thorought all the developement, that vulcanic world, Shian ocean world, the desert map (not sulferon, sulferon originally was not desert map and was named differently, it had normal terrain with hills and trees), Skaarj ship, etc... and maybe revisit some of the planets again as even these were cut in its length sometimes and create the game waht unreal2 should have been. And take back all the cut enemies and more of the old enemy variations, etc.

Or perhaps another story fitting into Unreal universe would be something like you got into fight with corrupted N.E.G. members and shot down and you would crash say on gen mo kai planet and tried to survive and maybe even allied some of gen mo kais, who knows what..and then see gen mo kai taking over earth etc..that would even be good idea for movie inspired by unreal championship and ut2003 eventually.

Last edited:

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
It very depends on how they make it. It can get boring, and can get really interesting.
I don't like ideas about the flashbacks, but you're right about Striders, they have to be met... Maybe visit a planet that was once Striders', but deserted, and find out that Striders still live there, but hidden or something?
And yes, I really like the idea with Gen Mo'Kai there. Would be a brilliant link with Unreal Tournament.

Grobut

Комиссар Гробут
Oct 27, 2004
Soviet Denmark
Wow, so much hate for Unreal 1, RTNP, and Unreal 2. What's wrong with them? Is it because it's not Unreal Tournament that you hate it?

Nobody said anything bad about Unreal, not even JaFo who seems to refrence U2 as the game "nobody cares about", Unreal is a timeless classic.

As for the others..

Whats wrong with RTNP? well aside from beeing just a mission pack, that frequently fails to match the quality of the origional game (just look at the extra weapons it adds for instance.. thouse textures and models, blimey!), it also treats the storyline and themes of the origional game with about as much dignity as a 2 dollar whore, it's just painfully apparent that the two where not made by the same people and did not have the same spirit behind them.

Whats wrong with Unreal2? well to be blunt, Atari is wrong with U2, if you read up on all the things that where supposed to be in this game, that where planned, then it clearly had a lot of potential, but that potential was squandered at every turn, and whats left is a short linear romp through a bunch of maps, where you never get to stay long enough in any one place to breathe in its atmosphere.
The name was also a bad choice, the game would have been much better recived under any other name, as beeing just a game that takes place in the same univers as Unreal.. but as a sequal to Unreal? as an "Unreal2"? that was not what people wanted from a sequal, they wanted what Unreal was from a game called Unreal2, it created expectations the game was destined to fall short of.

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
(just look at the extra weapons it adds for instance.. thouse textures and models, blimey!),

While I completely disagree with any statement regarding "RTNP is crap", this one just boils. Mostly regarding the Combat Assault Rifle: everyone liked it and it ended up being in many high-caliber SP mappacks.

Last edited:

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
It very depends on how they make it. It can get boring, and can get really interesting.
I don't like ideas about the flashbacks, but you're right about Striders, they have to be met... Maybe visit a planet that was once Striders', but deserted, and find out that Striders still live there, but hidden or something?
And yes, I really like the idea with Gen Mo'Kai there. Would be a brilliant link with Unreal Tournament.

Well the flashbacks can be interesting as well if done well.
Also some twists could be made that John Dalton will stand up against court for destroying the ship and killing the crew, that someone maybe made report about it and sent it to outer space, even Dalton is not the only one who left the ship, there were already escape pods which left the ship it seems.
Anything can be done and also you could take a side roles of some persons, I mean the artifacts on Janus, they were oeriginally taken from somewhere else, it would be interesting to see from where they were taken and captured...
But perhaps it would make the storyline a bit jumpy, but not necessarily.

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
Whats wrong with Unreal2? well to be blunt, Atari is wrong with U2, if you read up on all the things that where supposed to be in this game, that where planned, then it clearly had a lot of potential, but that potential was squandered at every turn, and whats left is a short linear romp through a bunch of maps, where you never get to stay long enough in any one place to breathe in its atmosphere.
The name was also a bad choice, the game would have been much better recived under any other name, as beeing just a game that takes place in the same univers as Unreal.. but as a sequal to Unreal? as an "Unreal2"? that was not what people wanted from a sequal, they wanted what Unreal was from a game called Unreal2, it created expectations the game was destined to fall short of.

True! I don't really agree that the name was bad, but sure, it could be named a bit differently, much like there are Unreal Tournaments and Championships. But guess they just want to be consistent with the form, U:SP, UT:MP, UC:Console. Even though UC1 was ported to PC and UT1, U2 and UT3 had console ports.

Well the flashbacks can be interesting as well if done well.
Also some twists could be made that John Dalton will stand up against court for destroying the ship and killing the crew, that someone maybe made report about it and sent it to outer space, even Dalton is not the only one who left the ship, there were already escape pods which left the ship it seems.
Anything can be done and also you could take a side roles of some persons, I mean the artifacts on Janus, they were oeriginally taken from somewhere else, it would be interesting to see from where they were taken and captured...
But perhaps it would make the storyline a bit jumpy, but not necessarily.

That's the whole point, it would be too jumpy. But revisiting these planets would be a good idea IMO.

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
UC1 was ported? When?
If you mean UT2003, the games are not same, as maps are bit different from what I have seen (plus there are exclusive maps and there is different training) etc even and of course weapons.
But if real UC1 was ported, gimme it then.

Last edited: