ut99 maps?????

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

carmatic

Jan 31, 2004
what with all this talk about ut3 going back to the ut99 gameplay style, im quite surprised that the maps have so little of '99 in them... are there any maps which are remade from the ones in ut99? like tempest or morpheus ...

WHIPperSNAPper

Mar 22, 2003
Visit site
I was working on a UT3 version of my UT99 CTF map CTF-Dagnys-PussyWhIpPeD which would feel like a UT99 map and not a static mesh cluttered UT 2004 or UT3 map, but I kind of lost interest in UT3 and UT3 mapping and now it's sitting on the cutting room floor--cut out and textured and with half of the lighting done. It's hard to get motivated to map for a game and a game type that so few people are playing.

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
Theres tempest X pack and stalwart remakes, liandri isnt bad either. Oh yeah and a few different morpheus variants along with a closer attempt to recreate it :cool:

carmatic

Jan 31, 2004
{BFG}Bl!tz~ said:
at that point of the map like quite on all morpheus maps the suggestions are going around "close to morpheus99" and "close to morpheus3" and all the performance is to mix new look and gameplay (with influence or not)

hmm... i do not understand what people meant by 'influence' , is having the map distinctly identifiable as a ut99 map, having the same name etc etc , not an influence enough?

Bazzwano

Hi, I'm Bryan
Jan 20, 2008
New Zealand
crnt wait for the bonus packs i say, there are no good community maps at the moment that are at epic quality... iv only downloaded one DM one, and thats the small one with the snow blowing in the wind. my hopes in the community this time arround are low

The problem with the remakes that people have done is that they are not of the standard that we should expect in 2008, iv seen soem maps look like UT2004, people need to remember that we are playing ut3.

iv seen some ut2004 maps look better then some of whats come out.. i only hope some experienced mappers are working on somthing

Last edited:

GGA_Nate

I train people, not dogs.
Jan 20, 2008
Cincinnati, OH
www.myspace.com
crnt wait for the bonus packs i say, there are no good community maps at the moment that are at epic quality... iv only downloaded one DM one, and thats the small one with the snow blowing in the wind. my hopes in the community this time arround are low

The problem with the remakes that people have done is that they are not of the standard that we should expect in 2008, iv seen soem maps look like UT2004, people need to remember that we are playing ut3.

iv seen some ut2004 maps look better then some of whats come out.. i only hope some experienced mappers are working on somthing

No good community maps at epic quality? Really? I can think of a few.

Dm-Shrine
Dm-Krodan
Dm-Yard
Dm-Garden of Dreams
And the entire HOLP pack

Bazzwano

Hi, I'm Bryan
Jan 20, 2008
New Zealand
Dm-Shrine - I must say its "OK"
Dm-Krodan - lil bit disapointed with this, i know hes done great work in the past
Dm-Yard - havent looked at it - standard DM
Dm-Garden of Dreams - havent looked at it - sick of DM now
And the entire HOLP pack - lol you must be kidding, im talking about epic qulity from 2008, not 1999

ok there are some good DM maps, but im sick of DM, people need to make some CTF

Apr 11, 2006
Yeah, I think it's a bit off to say there are no maps of the same visual quality as the stock maps out there. Krodan and a few of the others I've tried are definitely on par or better. At least in Warfare, which is mostly what I play these days, the stock maps are pretty conservative and are actually easy to outshine if all you're going for is the visual wow factor.

Regarding things like the HOLP: Just because more visual complexity is possible with new engine iterations doesn't mean that needs to be the ideal. The HOLP maps aren't even meant to be visual masterpieces but they all deliver quality visuals in a nice, uncluttered style.

virgo47

Waiting for next UT
Jul 5, 2005
Bratislava, Slovakia
members.clanci.net
UT99 maps are matter of nostalgy I think. Many of those maps are overcome in terms of gameplay thinking and general level design rules. Surely there are few that could be remade. I like UT99 maps but I'd rather not see them all in map rotations because I believe we are all further.

About HOLP... I'd rather play HOLP map than stock map simply because of gameplay level HOLP delivers. I still can put UT3 stock map as a wallpaper to get the best of both worlds (gameplay and visuals).

Bazzwano

Hi, I'm Bryan
Jan 20, 2008
New Zealand
You mistake quality with clutter.
And CBP / UCMP are not the type of projects to release in such a short period after a game's release.

I guess what i mean by quality it high polly detail, not flat walls and blocky rooms.

Yeah, I think it's a bit off to say there are no maps of the same visual quality as the stock maps out there. Krodan and a few of the others I've tried are definitely on par or better. At least in Warfare, which is mostly what I play these days, the stock maps are pretty conservative and are actually easy to outshine if all you're going for is the visual wow factor.

No offence to the makers, I a fussy fussy person, small things can put me off a level, and I expect a high standard as i did with the previous generations (but people still managed to provide great maps)
I didnt like Krodan because the detail of the textures were not that flash, otherwise everything else was nice!

Dm-conveyor - I guess once you make a map and know how a map is made, when i look at his screen shots and see sh*ty mesh placement (or lack of) im not going to be downloading it. also the texture choise and alignment is bad.. ill wait for a real map thanks, if anyone can release one..

reply to others:
you call meshes clutter? do they get in your way? if thats what your thinking, then you know nothing about making maps and you are an idiot for saying such a thing. I say this because you can make a high poly detailed wall, and simple set it to block weapons only then put a flat blocking volume along the wall (think of this as your flat bsp wall that you all love so much), this way the player does not get stuck on anything, and the player can run up against the wall and glide across it.. I dont have a single bsp wall showing on my map, I put a mesh on every face and dis a smooth collision over it. so "clutter" you call it.. lol it makes me laugh that you think this. hmm i shall restrain from saying any more

Last edited:

N1ghtmare

Sweet Dreams
Jul 17, 2005
Where least expected
I have like 4 versions of morpheous.

-One with BSP directly copied
-Phobetor
-One remade like Ut99 but with UT3's meshes
-One based on thedesign but in a "urban" enviroment theme.