[UT2004] The return of the Sniper Rifle

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Should Epic have bought the Sniper Rifle back to UT2004?

• Yes

Votes: 39 52.7%
  • No

Votes: 28 37.8%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 7 9.5%

• Total voters

Radiosity

Minty Fresh!
Jan 3, 2003
UK
www.radiant-studios.net
Unfortunately, if the SR turns out to be easier to use than the LTG, most people will take to it very well:

"At last! I can Spam from the other side of the map without being seen again!" :( I wonder exactly how much use that puff of smoke will be in determining where the camper is? It's not exactly to the same 'HERE I AM' standard as a white-hot bolt of lightning is it?

edit: lol, I've just had an interesting thought.......I wonder if Epic are putting the SR in the new gametypes to try and get more people to actually play them? When you look at the current state of the BR/ DOM/ Invasion etc gametypes, I think they're just worried that they'll release the game and no-one will play the new gametypes again, so they're adding the SR to try and attract more people to the gametypes that specifically use the weapon. That being said, I can see the SR being easier to use than the ltg.

Last edited:

Swift Viper

Long live Xmas Xan Mark III(By Hyrulian)
Why not put the Lightning Gun in all modes and have a mutator to replace the Lightning Gun with the Sinper Rifle (kind of like the Chainsaw mutator for UT that almost no one used)? Same thing could be done of the other new weapons (like the Spider Mine Launcher). It feels like they are arleady making a mistake for the people that want the same weapons in all gamemodes.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
wait a second...

Are you saying that the SR is NOT included in any gametypes by default but has to be added with a mutator???

Juguard

The King Is Dead, Punk Rock Lives!
Nov 30, 1999
Tustin CA, USA
Visit site
Sir_Brizz said:
wait a second...

Are you saying that the SR is NOT included in any gametypes by default but has to be added with a mutator???
I heard something about this too. I hope not, it needs to be a regular gun, not a dam mutator. People will protest, or majority of the servers will be using the mutator.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I hope not...I don't want the SR in there at all...otherwise it will be like face on every map...getting killed from nowhere, and no real way to find out where. That was why the LtG was useful in the first place...I lov it alot more than the old UT Sniper...

Oct 22, 2002
Visit site
ChainsawMonkey said:
Oh dear.......

So that means we basically won't be able to find a single server running the ltg because everyone will be using the sniper rifle mutator :( Nice job Epic.

If that is the case, and there will be NW servers with the SR does that mean that the SR will overwhelm the NW aspect of playing?

Sort of like those maps out there that are NW but have an Enhanced Shock Rifle in it. Is that how powerful and overused the SR is?

Those maps are awful, the ESR totally ruins the game play.

Radiosity

Minty Fresh!
Jan 3, 2003
UK
www.radiant-studios.net
Han said:
If that is the case, and there will be NW servers with the SR does that mean that the SR will overwhelm the NW aspect of playing?

I guess we won't know till we play the game. But seriously, what the hell is the point of bringing back the SR? If the ROF is the same as the ltg then it's pointless, if it's faster than the ltg it's gonna be spammed to death. More powerful? Only way to balance that is making the ROF slower than the ltg, and at that rate it wouldn't be worth using. Less powerful? It'd need higher ROF to be able to compete, but higher ROF = more shots = more damage quicker = unbalanced.

I honestly can't see any point for bringing it back other than to appease the whiners that miss it so much from UT. And they're still gonna whine because Epic will no doubt nerf the weapon to at least try and balance it against the others, and when the whiners realise that it's not the 'oldskool' spam rifle it once was they'll moan even more until Epic change it again, and again and again.

Pointless :rolleyes:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
The problem is they WILL change it over and over again because they have done it with every other weapon in the game. I wish they would go back to like 2136 weapon balance when it was almost perfect...

Radiosity

Minty Fresh!
Jan 3, 2003
UK
www.radiant-studios.net
Yeah, I'm gonna be checking out XMP when it's released. It looks like being a lot slower pace with more strategy involved though, which just doesn't hold up against the frenetic fast paced action of 2K3.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
You'd be really surprised ;)

But I still would much rather play UT2k4 than XMP even knowing that. Let's just hope that the stupid crap shooter doesn't get to screwing up every server in the server browser :mad:

Evc

Represent
Dec 22, 2001
Dreamland
www.fastlanehw.com
The LG defines what a "sniping" gun shouldnt be:

1) Horrible scope
2) Lightning trail giving away position
3) Slow charge time

The original UT sniper rifle was great, the only way its "SPAM" is when playing ZARK (a mod that is all about the spam and takes skill away from using the sniper rifle)

If they do bring it back, they should bring back the original, no changes to it etc, leave it cause it was perfect.

And there’s the much heralded new addition, the Sniper Rifle. Yes, the good ol' Sniper Rifle from UT has returned with a few tweaks. Its rate of fire is slower, and after you shoot while zoomed in a puff of smoke obscures your view for a few seconds, although it should be noted you can just sidestep and see around the cloud. Also, the smoke helps clue people in on your position.
Good way to screw up a good weapon, I can deal with the slower fire rate, but the puff of smoke has to go. The original didnt have it, yet you could see a flash and it woudl give away the position, but the smoke is just retarted.

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
Fearless said:
Lol, I see numerous people have been traumatised by playing CTF-Face ;) .

One thing I'll NEVER understand about that map is:

Why no entrances to the base at the BACK of the tower? :con:
That could've avoided so many spawnkillings I guess ???

There is this version of face (me thinks it's final-face) which has SPAWPOINTS and the back of the tower yes, but no entrances!

BRILLIANT!

:con:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
so instead of having a decent weapon in the game you would rather have a trash gun...

the only people that want the old Sniper Rifle back in are the ones that want to be able to camp somewhere wide open and headshot people without getting caught, = stupid. Your #2 and #3 prove this. As for #1, well that's a personal preference thing, but you shouldn't have full 100% clear view on ANY sniper rifle's scope.

Swift Viper

Long live Xmas Xan Mark III(By Hyrulian)
First off, if so many people like the Lightning Gun, then why will nearly every server run the sniper rifle mutator :con: ? I don't see this much aguring going on over IG servers to the players who like it, but why so much over the Sniper Rifle? Is it really a good idea to put it in the game in the new gamemodes normally?

Sniper Rifle mutator for UT2k3: If Fuzz (sp?) is being used, there should be a option to set the rate of fire. It is up to the admin to make the rifle fast or slow. If the servers that you (most of the posters) had the sniper rifle fired slower, then would all this complanting about it be going on? People are complanting about people complanting about people complanting and on and on....

One more important fact, the game (or demo) is not even out yet, we don't even know what the gameplay will be like. Can't we wait till we actually PLAY the game before getting into this kind of discussion?

Last edited: