UT2003 / UT2004 Network Compatability To Be Broken

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
D

duiveltje

Omg how clever of those guys, they know that when ut2k4 comes out many servers will have to change now to ut2k4. So that means that almost all the ut2k3 players will have to switch there games. So every player that still wnats to play online will have to pay 30 euro's to keep playing UT2k

damn them

Luggage

wins.
Apr 25, 2001
Germany
www.planetunreal.com
Well, I thought this was clear from the start... The new code is incompatible with the old one, but there would be a patch for ut2003 that brings the old game to compatibility... That's what was planned afaik. Doesn't sound much different now, does it?

RegularX

Master of Dagoth Lies
Feb 2, 2000
Chicago, IL
Luggage said:
Well, I thought this was clear from the start... The new code is incompatible with the old one, but there would be a patch for ut2003 that brings the old game to compatibility... That's what was planned afaik. Doesn't sound much different now, does it?

I think the "patch to bring the old game to compatibility" is now a thing of the past.

And yes, I think Howard Loibisch is right. This doesn't change much for mods, they're still facing the same questions.

AMmayhem

Mayhem is everywhere
Nov 3, 2001
NaliCity, MI
Visit site
duiveltje said:
Omg how clever of those guys, they know that when ut2k4 comes out many servers will have to change now to ut2k4. So that means that almost all the ut2k3 players will have to switch there games. So every player that still wnats to play online will have to pay 30 euro's to keep playing UT2k

damn them

Either that or Epic would have to face the onslaught (no pun intended) of complaints about how UT2004 is too much like 2003, and that the old maps weren't fixed, and that only the ONS and AS modes were the only incentive for buying it. And whatever else you people would come up with. :rolleyes:

SkaarjMaster said:
I'm not too bothered by this, but they need to quit f**king with the flak cannon.

LOL, no kidding. :)

NeoNight

Lurker
Feb 3, 2003
Visit site
Well that’s the final proverbial "nail in the coffin" for ut2k3.... so with that said LONG LIVE HaloTournament1942! ( lol ) I mean ut2k4!

Juguard

The King Is Dead, Punk Rock Lives!
Nov 30, 1999
Tustin CA, USA
Visit site
Kowalski.44 said:
What everyone seems to be missing is that Ut2004 players won't be compatible with UT2003 mods now which will get very ****ing annoying when some mods might move to the newer engine. This means me and a alot of people will have to buy a ****ty game just to play some mods. (Ut2003 was a bad game but I bought it just for Red Orchestra)
Don't you know that Red Orchestra is a mod for UT2004? It started with UT2003, but when UT2004 was announced, Red Orchestra moved to UT2004, why? Better engine, why not use it

Playing a free mod doens't mean you don't have to pay for it. Without Unreal engine, there would be no mod, therefore, you have to buy the engine that is required.

Demo_Boy

Incindiary
Jan 1, 2004
Toronto
The next thing we'll hear is that there's no rebate for owners of 2K3.

CB: "Now that Atari dissolved Legend, they want to maximize the profit from thier last PC based game. Look forward to paying $60, but hey we fixed the map holes in the 2K3 map ports we did!"

Selerox

COR AD COR LOQVITVR
Nov 12, 1999
TheUKofGBandNI
selerox.deviantart.com
And thats me done...

So what? UT2003 will die, to be replaced with the game it should have been in the first place. UT2003 mods were never going to be able to work with UT2004 anyway, so it's not an issue. Besides do you really think that anyone will still play UT2003 now that theres the much improved version of it out? Didn't think so.

Edo - Please, just drop it. You do a version of Epic's gametype, then whine when they decide to do a new version of their gametype? Drop the bitterness and move on.

DavidM

Designer
Oct 28, 1999
www.muenni.ch
phe
never planned to get 2k4 cuz deathball also works without it

so i'll play on the remaining 2k3 servers then, dont see a need to pay for 2k4

Major-Lee-High

Im a ranter, ignore me!
Jun 27, 2000
The Dark Tower
www.modcentral.us
/me thinks david would get it free anyway

Im not really bothered with the news.... but, that was the best thing i saw about 2k4, without the game isnt as cool at all, now imo it has lost pretty much all of what made it anything but a ut2k3 mod. Many mods wont convert for alot longer now due to people not wanting to buy a new game. And i doubt it will kill ut2k3... seeing as how ut2k3 hasnt even dented ut99, the majority of ut2k3s player count is bots.

AMmayhem

Mayhem is everywhere
Nov 3, 2001
NaliCity, MI
Visit site
Raffi_B said:
Everyone who thinks the incompatibility is crap, read this (scroll down a bit to Daniel Vogel's post)

http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=343937

My god, almost everyone that posted in that thread are a bunch of paranoid whiners. If they think all of this is such a horrible thing, why don't they leave the Unreal community altogether? Could it be that no other companies listen to their fans as much as Epic does? It sounds to me that the people have become spoiled and suddenly they think that what they say is supposed to have bearing on a company they're not even employed with. Just because they may have fulfilled past "requests" to an extent, doesn't mean every single one is. :shake:

Juguard

Nov 30, 1999
Tustin CA, USA
Visit site
man, some of you people got to stop about this free/rebate stuff. Why don't you open a gaming company, make a game thats as good as UT2004, and give it away for $10, better yet, for free.

Sorry, but Atari/Epic are not the Army(America's Army), they don't need to recruit you for tournaments, they need to make a living, a very good living in that matter.

Juguard

Nov 30, 1999
Tustin CA, USA
Visit site
AMmayhem said:
My god, almost everyone that posted in that thread are a bunch of paranoid whiners. If they think all of this is such a horrible thing, why don't they leave the Unreal community altogether? Could it be that no other companies listen to their fans as much as Epic does? It sounds to me that the people have become spoiled and suddenly they think that what they say is supposed to have bearing on a company they're not even employed with. Just because they may have fulfilled past "requests" to an extent, doesn't mean every single one is. :shake:
I agree with you. And Epic have very good support for the community, best there is.