Unreal Texture UT site and S3TC releases

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Diehard

The apartments themselves are impossible to change, the only place in the texture that can be changed is is the building itself. Epic left the apartments blanc for whatever reason(lazyness?).

At the moment you create an actual apartment than obviously whatever is there can be seen in detail like in the example. If i make the apartments themselves futuristic that means i have to create some 400(didnt really count) individual drawings, with 400 different designs which is at the moment undoable. Creating that amount of textures will probably take me a year to create while it might not be worth for only 6 textures.

The apartments in the example already cost me about 15 to 20 minutes per apartment, i gotta go out with my camera to take the photos, and have to do so several evenings, not mention explaning to the police and other people why the hell i am pointing a zoomlens to those apartments in the middle of the night, than i have to process each individual apartment by correcting the perspective view and place it into the masterfile.

All together its alot of work, and at best i could leave out each few windows and add some kinda technical stuff to it(which is what i already planned). And since there are no year 2341 apartments to be found around overhere, its either that or nothing at all i am afraid............

Unless you guys come up with an actual doable other solution.

Diehard

Forgot to mention that, but upfront when i started making photos from the apartments i did though about the future look, and thought to myself it doesnt really matter. If i look at all the movies and series than theres little apartments that have a futuristic look. In the entire Star Trek series all living quarters look pretty much the same as any nowadays living room. The same goes for movies like Blade Runner, Star Wars, AI, The Matrix, I Robot. The only thing thats different from now is those living quarters have maybe oné small panel on the wall having technical stuff or communication stuff on it.

In most movies or series the 2400 century look is achived by the surroundings, like buildings themselves or flying cars or cloths, gadgets, etc. And obviously there are movies that have technical rooms like Aliens, Total recall, Space Truckers, The Fifth Element, but those are pretty rare to be honest.

Last edited:

Hermskii

www.Hermskii.com
Apr 13, 2003
Houston
Hermskii.com
Plenty

Diehard,

Please trust me when I say that I'm sure most of us are already more than grateful for what you have already done. Don't go any further out of your way to do anything especially if it may start to burn you out.

Thanks for all that you have done so far! PLEASE keep it up. CYA!

Diehard

Diehard,

Please trust me when I say that I'm sure most of us are already more than grateful for what you have already done. Don't go any further out of your way to do anything especially if it may start to burn you out.

Thanks for all that you have done so far! PLEASE keep it up. CYA!

Agreed. Who would zoom up max into a building texture and then stop to think about their rooms... It's a fast-paced 3D shooter anyway
:D

Thanks for the head ups :)

But i also have in mind that everyone simply tries to get the game as good as possible, and therefore all remarks are only ment to make the game better. And i am never afraid of criticism, and i expect people to make remarks positive or negative, cause at the end it will also improove my work :)

At this moment i am working as hard as i can on the SGC project, and i am preparing the DecayedS release for Unreal, so new updates for UT have to wait a while, but inbetween when i got time i am working on UT updates as well(like the skyscrapers).

And i got anotyher sneak preview, and this time from the noxxpack package:

http://www.unrealtexture.com/Media/S3TC/50hdoor_crop.jpg

Its very beta, and hardly what the final version will be, but it offers an idea :)

Raynor.Z

Ad Nocendum Potentes Sumus
Feb 1, 2006
Holy crap, it looks really slick, can't wait to see it in-game on DM-Crane or CTF-High :tup:

Diehard

Normally i dont have the time to do actual painting on the textures, i do it, but not nearly often enough :( . But the noxxpack is a relative small package and non of the textures surface in other packages. So i kinda decided to go paint all the textures instead of using filters to achieve depth.

And painted textures always look alot better than filter based textures, simply because its not perfect, which makes the textures more alive. But its alot of work extra, but doable in this case :) .

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
Side note, I have to say that UnrealTexture server has really good upload rate - downloaded even the hugest textures instantly, while from other servers it takes forever. Good job :) Installed all textures that are available for Unreal to Unreal Anthology (UT pathed to UGold), didn't enable S3TC yet though. Should look really cool when I turn it on :) Still UT textures left for downloading.
EDIT: Brilliant work on the SkyCity package. Especially the walls with the trims - they look fantastic! By the way, UT and Unreal textures are the same, nothing more is added, right? It's safe to put the Unreal S3TC path above UT normal textures?

Last edited:

Diehard

UT and Unreal textures are the same, nothing more is added, right?

Purelly for the textures they are the same, but you cannot mix them, because the UT and Unreal textures are not netcompatible with eachother. To make the S3TC textures netcompatible i need to use the 1st CD textures from UT for UT, and for Unreal i have to use the Unreal textures as base.

Which means if you play both games you have to download the S3TC textures from both games (and dont mix em up lol). For Single Player use it wouldnt matter btw.

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
Yea, I don't mix them up, Unreal goes to UGold and UT goes to UT, but UT is pathed to UGold. Well, always easy to change one position of a line.

Cobra

Dec 15, 2005
Montreal, Canada
I have dl all four pack texture, but when I play let say CTF-Lava Giant. It is like there's no texture at some places ?. But the pics look's real cool. Good work

brdempsey69

Original UT Owns !!
Jun 19, 2003
Visit site
I have dl all four pack texture, but when I play let say CTF-Lava Giant. It is like there's no texture at some places ?. But the pics look's real cool. Good work

Can you show us some pics of what you're describing? Because when I play CTF-LavaGiant it looks perfect and better than ever with these texture packs.

Shakey_Jake33

Jun 3, 2008
England
Just a quick note, you recommend the 'High End' version of these textures for card with minimum 256MB VRAM, yet they work fine on my laptop with 128MB VRAM. What would basically happen if I use the textures on a card without enough VRAM, just more texture swapping?

Diehard

What would basically happen if I use the textures on a card without enough VRAM, just more texture swapping?

I have no idea, the amount of memory is really only is an advise. I myself played always with a 128 Mb videocard, and it worked just fine. Only on a few maps that have a super high amount of used textures, it sometimes was a bit choppy.

The end of the story would be, that it also highly depends on how powerfull the system is. If its a powerfull system with a 128 Mb card it probably will do just fine even on the High End packages.

But its good you made the remark, because i noticed theres an error on those pages, The High End specs should be:

Use: Playing only ! (clients)
CPU: Pentium 4
Videocard: 128 Mb, 256 Mb, 384 Mb, 512 Mb (card needs OpenGL support)

With the remark that you can try the High End with a 128Mb card, and if it doesnt work, try the Low End version.

It definatelly should say that 128 Mb users should always try the High End versions first, if it really lags, try the Low End. Somehow that 128 Mb part fell off from all the pages. Ill add it to my todo list.