Unreal Texture UT site and S3TC releases

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
Record a demo with moregore and the hellfire cannon.

Hermskii

www.Hermskii.com
Apr 13, 2003
Houston
Hermskii.com
Bump!

Bump this is right! What happened? Everything went quiet. Is it done? Is it over? Did it stop? No more reports. No posts. That was it? No bugs? What is the deal? Where are we at officially? I thought some folks were going to fix or try to fix the remaining issues. Let me know. Thanks!

Protos

Jan 23, 2008
Far as I know, what we have now is all we will get till diehard finishes up with the stargate project he is working on. (I think he will be with that for 6 months or so)

At which point he will hopefully come back to work on ut textures.

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
He said that after SG textures he'll be updating Unreal textures... And importing some UT textures to Unreal... So it should take longer. But 6 months for SG? Too much I think.

Diehard

True, as i explained on another forum the releases do come in waves, and yes the SGC project is pretty huge.

I am buzy starting up the project, and gather all that needs to be done, which is alot lol. I still have to make and redo some 300-600 textures, which is always very time consuming.

Than of course all the maps need to be finished, and for some parts i need to wait for other people. The initial release will be for Unreal and UT in a Dm map and a CTF map. After that, there will also be releases for UT2004 and UT3.

In the meantime if i got some time left i am working on a few updates on the URP and UTRProject. Also if i go take photos for a project, i always also look around for stuff that i can use for the other projects. Effectivelly it never stops, and i am always buzy preparing future updates, though starting up the project i have been working on updates for the city package, the one in my computer is now 105 Mb big, but packed with beta textures. And the same aplies for other packages.

And all together its not that bad if it takes a couple(and more) a months since on release it will give 2400 and more textures for other mappers to build maps with. Both normal and CTF textures, which are all S3TC.

The people that already knew the S3TC textures from Unreal, know that there can be longer periods between releases, so its not really a matter of getting quiet or bleeding out. Just see it as the silence before the storm :)

Aside above, i also have two websites to attend, which consumes tons of time as well, since those sites are pretty large, oné 10 gig site and another 130 gig.... And probably the all important thing that often prevents me from working is my health, which is very poor to begin with. That makes it often difficult to work, concentrate, and too often i cant do anything at all....

And officially there will be updates in 6 months, but as i already can predict, there will be smaller and/or larger updates in between. Often when i am working on something, than it comes out my nose, ears and what more and simply have had it for the moment. Than i often turn to other things just to get my mind a bit off what i was working on. That often leads to releases for other projects.

The official updates over 6 months will be in:

- DecayedS (and if all goes well this will be a monster update that will effect the entire package).
- Skaarj package (which should also be a significant update)
- HourIceSkaarj from Hourances

And maybe:

- Mine
- Starship

In between there will be an update for SpaceFX (upgrade) and the city package, in probably a month from now.

But generally always count on the fact there is a significant time between updates. Unrealers already know this, but its kinda new for UTers.

Diehard

still skating players here..
on every server that i enter

The problem of course is, to convince the server admins to use the normal packages from the 1st CD. As long as the server admins use the net packages and/or the 2nd CD textures the skating problem remains.

I guess the best way to deal with that is, when you play on specific servers alot, to go contact that server admin(s) to have the packages switched out.....

And have them add it to the server name: "UTRP compatible server" or something like that.

Last edited:

Diehard

[UTRP] tag would be better as it's shorter.

I wont disagree there :)

And what are the net packages?

From what i understood, those are compressed packages that are contained in one or more server patch updates. But its "hear say" so to speak, and do not really know anything about it.

But Protos and Lee_Stricklin did test all this and using them for a server seems a bad idea.

Last edited: