UE3 Coming to Mobile Devices

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

GeckoYamori

Apr 27, 2008
UE3 without bloom and all the other tasteless post-process effects? Hell, it looks even better than the vanilla engine!

Retodon8

Sheep happens!
Jan 21, 2004
Netherlands
retodon8.net
Wow, that is looking pretty good for one of those mobile device thingies circa 2009.

I wouldn't really call it 'UE3', but it's certainly looking pretty good.

I have no reason to assume AndandTech got their wires crossed, so I'm sure it is UE3, not UE2 or some other engine.
The fact that this version is better optimized for another platform than we're used to doesn't make it any less UE3, unless Epic says so; it's their product after all. :)

Metal-Geo

Dutch, sadly...
Jun 16, 2008
www.frzi.com
The renderer is the most important aspect of any game engine. Not to mention it has different audio and physics. There's not much of it that is the same at all.
More important than usability and performance? Because otherwise, wouldn't the CryEngine2 (or 3) be the most licensed engine by now? :p

Back on topic, it'd be a shame if Epic would just turn down the iPhone now and move directly and exclusively to the Zune HD. I mean, the Zune HD is a magnificent device, no doubt. But as of now, I'd say the iPhone/iPod Touch is where the real money can be found. *shrug*

Besides, after playing N.O.V.A. on my iPhone for a while now, I must say that First Person shooters can work on this little piece of hardware. And it'd be great competition for John Carmack when he wants to port the Quake games.

Just sayin', yo.

alex904

Feb 24, 2006
UE3 without bloom and all the other tasteless post-process effects? Hell, it looks even better than the vanilla engine!

Roger that. I wish I could play a fast paced FPS game without fog, haze, blurred textures and artificially darkened open areas.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
The truth of the matter is that nobody really knows how much they had to change for it to work. I haven't seen the source code for this thing, have you?
We know it uses OpenGL (which UE3 already supported, just a different spec) and it likely uses OpenAL (which has iPhone builds already). I have no idea on the physics portion, but if it has the same editing tools and the same script loading ability... then what else is there really?? It obviously has a more limited feature set but that doesn't make it not the same engine, it just makes it a more limited version of the same engine :)

Chandler

Self Unemployed
Jan 20, 2008
From what I understand this uses the OpenGL ES 2.0 standard, which is what the new WebGL standard is based off of. Unreal in a browser possibly?

For people doubting the feasibility of shooters on iPhones, check out Duke Nukem 3d or Prey Invasion (or most shooters nowadays on that platform). They use two discs (they work like analog sticks), one for movement and one for turning. You can tap the screen, the center of rotation disc, or separate button to fire, depending on how you set it up. There are then separate buttons for other functions like jump, crouch, use, and a tap area to go to a weapon select screen (game pauses). It is about as feasible and usable as on a console.

Frankly, I don't know why Epic built this like a Nintendo DS shooter instead of the method I mentioned above, as the above method does not require dragging the screen to turn.

Metal-Geo

Dutch, sadly...
Jun 16, 2008
www.frzi.com
Frankly, I don't know why Epic built this like a Nintendo DS shooter instead of the method I mentioned above, as the above method does not require dragging the screen to turn.
The problem with the double virtual analog stick is that you can't walk, aim and shoot at the same time.

With N.O.V.A, you can press the Shoot button and drag around to aim. Thus giving you the chance to move, aim and shoot. Which is quite a necessity when playing online. :p Same goes for Sandstorm.

Eliminate, the free iPhone multiplayer FPS, even has an option which allows the game to shoot automatically for you once an enemy comes near the crosshair.

With the ability to drag, you have much more control over the speed and flexibility to look around. With a single quick swipe you can turn around instantly. My only complaint is that these games don't allow me to set the sensitivity high enough, though.

The other problem with virtual sticks (or discs, as you call them), is of course the lack of any physical feeling. You can't avoid the problem of accidentally pressing your finger on the wrong part of the disc. Thus making your character move/look into the wrong direction. With the dragging system, you simply press your finger on the screen, make that your 'center', and simply make your character move/look into the direction your move your finger to. And thus removing the problem of 'accidentally' making your character look down, or left, etc...

I'm having way more problems playing Duke 3D and Prey Invasion on the iPhone than playing N.O.V.A. and Eliminate. :(

DannyMeister

UT3 Jailbreak Coder
Dec 11, 2002
Bolivar, Missouri
I remember an article being posted around some time ago about some certain developer house in China licensing UE for mobile software - that news thread was filled with angry critics. :)

I was pretty happy about that. I think Epic is hiring thousands of people in that new office to remotely control our "bots" in all their upcoming multiplayer games. They think they are tricking us into believing that they have just improved their AI code, but we know the truth! It'll probably be a long time before this system goes live, because they have to put a lot of training into their top tier players who will be controlling Loque.

KillerSkaarj

Art for swans is dope!
Jan 24, 2008
Oh, I see how it is. Epic says they won't develop UE3 for the Wii because "it's too weak," then they willingly go and dumb down the engine for mobile devices. Yeah, I see....

Anyway, nerd rage aside, this seems pretty cool. I'm just waiting for Unreal 1 to show up on mobile devices.

Last edited:

DannyMeister

UT3 Jailbreak Coder
Dec 11, 2002
Bolivar, Missouri
Oh, I see how it is. Epic says they won't develop UE3 for the Wii because "it's too weak," then they willingly go and dumb down the engine for mobile devices. Yeah, I see....

Anyway, nerd rage aside, this seems pretty cool. I'm just waiting for Unreal 1 to show up on mobile devices.

Not trying to be facetious here, I don't keep up on this stuff. Which is more powerful: today's latest mobile devices or the Wii? I can take a pretty good guess, but will that still be the case in two years?

They are always trying to expand markets. I wouldn't be too surprised if they get around to Wii support as resources that were working on other engine features get freed up. Targeting the least capable system that you can first does make some sense when trying to get your engine to be as scalable as possible.

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I think it has more to do with the fact that almost nobody would license UE3 for the Wii.

KillerSkaarj

Art for swans is dope!
Jan 24, 2008
That's because most Wii devs are complete idiots when it comes to Wii development. Oh well, at least the Wii has the Quantum 3 engine.

elmuerte

Master of Science
Jan 25, 2000
the Netherlands
elmuerte.com
Epic said they won't support the Wii with UE3. Epic also didn't support the PS2 but that didn't stop people from getting UE2 to work on the PS2. In fact, officially Epic never supported Linux and Mac for any engine generation, that was always left up to contractors. Epic did support Linux and Mac for the UT games, but no the engine. In the beginning Epic didn't even support the original XBox, this changed with UE2X.

Also, I doubt they dumbed down the engine. UE3 scales quite well when you use light graphic assets, turn of any fancy rendering things like post processing. Lowering the resolution drastically also helps.