Two words: Not Guilty

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

cryptophreak

unbalanced
Jul 2, 2011
Zimmerman was the neighborhood watch and he was well within his right to investigate when he saw an unfamiliar individual; in fact, it was his duty to investigate.

I don't care if he was President of World Safety. Positions don't excuse poor judgement. And had he exercised better judgement, Martin would still be alive.

Aside from the events themselves, let's talk about background.

Let's not, unless you believe that selling drugs deserves capital punishment.

DarkED

The Great Oppression
Mar 19, 2006
Right behind you.
www.nodanites.com
I don't care if he was President of World Safety. Positions don't excuse poor judgement. And had he exercised better judgement, Martin would still be alive.

But that doesn't make Zimmerman a murderer in the eyes of the law. Nor should it.

The exact same thing can be said about Trayvon Martin. If we're being perfectly fucking honest here, Trayvon Martin is the one that sent this thing spiraling out of control. He was the person that elevated it to a physical level, not Zimmerman.

Let's not, unless you believe that selling drugs deserves capital punishment.

Of course I don't, but again, you totally ignore all of the facts. It wasn't just drugs, there was plenty of violent behavior and other misc. shady activity that goes along with that. With that said, I'm not saying he deserved capital punishment for any of it, but if you're gonna attack someone who may or may not be packing heat you better be prepared for the consequences. Martin should have taken that into account before he started knocking Zimmerman's skull against the concrete.

All of the background information absolutely is relevant to a case like this. Trayvon Martin was not "the little 14-year-old kid that loved Skittles" as the media and his parents made him out to be; by all reasonable accounts he was tall, strong, and appeared to be a fully-grown man. Why do you think the jurors sided with Zimmerman in the "was he convinced beyond a reasonable doubt that he was fighting for his life" question? Taking Martin's background into account helps to determine how he might have reacted to Zimmerman following him. In any other case an important part of the process is establishing the background, character and credibility of all relevant parties. It also helps to establish motive or lack thereof.

But go ahead, ignore all the facts and keep acting like it was all Zimmerman's fault :rolleyes:

Both parties had a choice to make here, and both of them made the wrong choice. We must give credit where credit is due, and just because only one of them lived, that doesn't mean it's fair to shift blame off the person who died.

Last edited:

Benfica

European Redneck
Feb 6, 2006
Why is this having so much air time in the first place? Stupid media stirring up racial tensions or creating a distraction ...

cryptophreak

unbalanced
Jul 2, 2011
He was the person that elevated it to a physical level, not Zimmerman.

This is an inane argument on par with the childhood "I'm not touching you" game that bullies play. Fault and aggression extends far beyond who threw the first punch.

Taking Martin's background into account helps to determine how he might have reacted to Zimmerman following him.

It does not, however, address the point that Zimmerman ought not to have followed him in the first place, meaning that this is at best a subordinate concern.

Both parties had a choice to make here, and both of them made the wrong choice.

Maybe. The trouble is that one of them lived to see his actions defended by the courts, when in fact he is a troublemaking little shit who blames others for the results of his poor decisions. He has learned nothing from his mistakes. Some who support him feel vindicated and may yet kill their own neighbors with impunity.

Lizard Of Oz

Demented Avenger
Oct 25, 1998
In a cave & grooving with a Pict
www.nsa.gov
Still, it was 3 in the morning and he saw someone he'd never seen before walking through his neighborhood and cutting through people's yards.

Again, untrue. Martin left the 7-Eleven at 6:24 PM (0.8 miles away). Between 6:54 PM and 7:12 PM Martin was on his phone talking to a girlfriend. At 7:09 PM Zimmerman calls the Sanford Police Department (SPD) from his truck to report a suspicious character (Martin). At 7:11:59 SPD tells Zimmerman he need not follow the suspicious character (Martin). At 7:16:55 PM Zimmerman shoots Martin dead.

The map below show Martin's and Zimmerman's paths through the neighborhood. Note that Martin was always either walking in the street or on walkways

[screenshot]http://bcclist.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/trayvon-martin-george-zimmerman-path.jpg[/screenshot]

Last edited:

Crotale

_________________________ _______________
Jan 20, 2008
Anywhere But Here
Again, untrue. Martin left the 7-Eleven at 6:24 PM (0.8 miles away). Between 6:54 PM and 7:12 PM Martin was on his phone talking to a girlfriend. At 7:09 PM Zimmerman calls the Sanford Police Department (SPD) from his truck to report a suspicious character (Martin). At 7:11:59 SPD tells Zimmerman he need not follow the suspicious character (Martin). At 7:16:55 PM Zimmerman shoots Martin dead.

The map below show Martin's and Zimmerman's paths through the neighborhood. Note that Martin was always either walking in the street or on walkways

http://bcclist.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/trayvon-martin-george-zimmerman-path.jpg

Interesting image. According to Rachel Jeantel, Trayvon's friend who was on the phone with him, Trayvon allegedly reached the home where he was staying, only to turn around and go back after Zimmerman. As you stated, there is a 5 minute gap between Zimmerman's call and the time of Trayvon's death. About a minute of this was eaten up by the struggle itself, leaving about a four minute period in which Trayvon could have made it home (who knows if Jeantel's testimony is accurate or not).

If it went the way your image portrays, then Trayvon was laying in wait for Zimmerman for several minutes until the two crossed paths. Either way it goes, Trayvon is the presumed aggressor.

Renegade Retard

Defender of the newbie
Dec 18, 2002
TX
Visit site
This thread makes me...

shot_in_the_head.gif

Lizard Of Oz

Demented Avenger
Oct 25, 1998
www.nsa.gov
Interesting image. According to Rachel Jeantel, Trayvon's friend who was on the phone with him, Trayvon allegedly reached the home where he was staying, only to turn around and go back after Zimmerman. As you stated, there is a 5 minute gap between Zimmerman's call and the time of Trayvon's death. About a minute of this was eaten up by the struggle itself, leaving about a four minute period in which Trayvon could have made it home (who knows if Jeantel's testimony is accurate or not).

If it went the way your image portrays, then Trayvon was laying in wait for Zimmerman for several minutes until the two crossed paths. Either way it goes, Trayvon is the presumed aggressor.

I think they are both to blame. Zimmerman for not backing off after he contacted the police. Had he done the right thing and left it to the professionals, Martin would be alive today. And I blame Martin for (probably) confronting Zimmerman. Maybe he should have called the police and reported a weird dude following him.

I posted the image to show the pathway, and to show that Martin (probably) wasn't "cutting through people's yards", he just took the most logical path back to the house where he was staying. If you Google "Martin Zimmerman Map" you'll find other maps that show slightly different paths.. even one that shows Martin circling back and walking around Zimmerman's truck.

Last edited:

Crotale

Jan 20, 2008
Anywhere But Here
Liz, you admit then that you are showing only one theoretical path taken by Martin.

Jacks, I am merely going by what was established in the courtroom. But you are right, none of us know what really happened that night.

Last edited:

Vaskadar

It's time I look back from outer space
Feb 12, 2008
Fort Lauderdale, FL
This is a bit of a pet peeve, Crotale, but I hate it when people mix up theoretical with hypothetical. Theory is proven through repetition, hypothesis is conjecture.

Lizard Of Oz

Demented Avenger
Oct 25, 1998
www.nsa.gov
Liz, you admit then that you are showing only one theoretical path taken by Martin.

Yes, and I clearly stated that in my post. I found a dozen different maps and all were basically the same except the one I mentioned where it showed Martin circling back. That particular map was part of a interactive Flash app, and capturing it for display here was too much work.

But really, what difference does the map make. Had Zimmerman followed Sanford Police Department's instructions and let the professionals do what they do, Martin would be alive today.

Last edited:

Crotale

Jan 20, 2008
Anywhere But Here
This is a bit of a pet peeve, Crotale, but I hate it when people mix up theoretical with hypothetical. Theory is proven through repetition, hypothesis is conjecture.
Point taken. My bad.

Yes, and I clearly stated that in my post. I found a dozen different maps and all were basically the same except the one I mentioned where it showed Martin circling back. That particular map was part of a interactive Flash app, and capturing it for display here was too much work.
Okay, that's fine.

But really, what difference does the map make. Had Zimmerman followed Sanford Police Department's instructions and let the professionals do what they do, Martin would be alive today.
It does make a distinct difference, because the jury would have otherwise found Zimmerman guilty if 1) Trayvon did not have sufficient time to evade him and 2) getting out of your car is not a crime.