Touchscreen shooting

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

igNiTion

here
Apr 9, 2004
South Carolina
MrMaddog said:
It would be interesting to see how a touchscreen can be used in a FPS game. Nintendo had a multiplayer demo of Metroid Prime running on their DS, and you can use the touchscreen to strafe and stuff...so who knows. :lol:
ah just saw this, sorry. I hadn't actually read more than the first post and the second page of this thread.

anyways not sure if newegg sells touchscreens or not..but it does sell an assload of computer components

neilthecellist

Renegade.
May 24, 2004
San Diego, California
www. .
ugh my brother won't get me a touchscreen....but he'll get me a Keyboard and Mouse for XBOX!!!!

but if I do, it'll be so UNFAIR if I go on XBOX live, cuz i'll be killing people w/ a mouse and keyboard while they only have joysticks.

igNiTion

here
Apr 9, 2004
South Carolina
neilthecellist said:
but if I do, it'll be so UNFAIR if I go on XBOX live, cuz i'll be killing people w/ a mouse and keyboard while they only have joysticks.
What's so unfair about that? They could buy them too :) ;)

The Listener

The Quiet One
Jun 16, 2004
Michigan
igNiTion said:
What's so unfair about that? They could buy them too :) ;)

But then it becomes just another arms race, buying skill and all that. Whatever happened to the good ol' days where no one cared who won? But that's another thread alltogether.

Anyways, I think the only real obsticle to a touch screen is how the cursor tends to wobble a bit. At least, I noticed it did a little on all those touch screens at all those Wedding gift regestry things.

DDRRE

Flesh is a design flaw.
Feb 13, 2004
Israel
Umm....
2 reasons for: "What on earth is this thread doing in the front page after 1.5 months with 2 pages of posts only?"

1. Someone bumped this thread 2 days ago
2. BuF is dying

Scroll down to see the answer!

2: Incorrect, duh!
1: Correct! and the all-mighty bumper was no other than the starter, neilthecellist! and, oh my, what an original bump post!

neilthecellist, 2nd Oct 2004, 12:13 AM

where can i get a touchscreen?

No hard feelings, mate :).. Nice bump post though :lol:

Taleweaver

Wandering spirit
May 11, 2004
Off course
Welcome back, DDRRE. In case you hadn't noticed, it's thread revival week ;)

@neilthecellist: keyboard+mouse > joysticks. IMO, it's only a matter of time before everyone is gonna buy these for their XBOX, so the unfair advantage isn't gonna last anyway. :lololol:

(and I'm surprised you still think you would have an advantage with a touchscreen in a FPS)

Animus

bladiebladibla
Sep 24, 2004
in Manta under water
last i heard that there are sensors that you can put on your head its just invided
and its just a experiment but they did it they had made a simple program that
someone can control
they use the pulses that sends your brain the sensor reacts to it and can activate
things in a specila program
imagion yourself that you are only gaming whit some sensors on your head
then who will become the best what will be the next problem strugglin to gain more speed from you into the game they would use drugs that will speed up your brains
WHERE WILL IT END!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
dont worry to be the best, its fun to win but you will never own everyone
just play fore fun!!

BinarySystem

Banned
Jun 10, 2004
HcF.Animus (dennis) said:
last i heard that there are sensors that you can put on your head its just invided
and its just a experiment but they did it they had made a simple program that
someone can control
they use the pulses that sends your brain the sensor reacts to it and can activate
things in a specila program
imagion yourself that you are only gaming whit some sensors on your head
then who will become the best what will be the next problem strugglin to gain more speed from you into the game they would use drugs that will speed up your brains
WHERE WILL IT END!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
dont worry to be the best, its fun to win but you will never own everyone
just play fore fun!!

I'm going to guess at what you just said, and say, yes, they have had the capability to take input from your brain and nervous system for some time now. It is used in some expensive prosthetics.

This usually involves surgery.

What you MIGHT be thinking of is, there was a group of scientists that placed sufficient electrodes in the brain of a lamprey that it was able to "live on" in a robot body after it's brain was removed from it's fleshy body. The brain was kept alive in a nutrient bath. Input to the brain was achieved by way of shining bright lights to stimulate various parts of the lamprey's brain.

So, although physicians will sometimes use electrodes to "read" your brain, this is a fairly invasive procedure and likely won't become the next wave in PC gaming. ;P

DDRRE

Flesh is a design flaw.
Feb 13, 2004
Israel
That's like, "The Power of Five" glove (aka P5):
glove_photo_lrg.gif

About
See videos and demos with the glove!

BinarySystem

Banned
Jun 10, 2004
Nintendo Powerglove returns! But seriously, reading inputs from your nervous system (what HcF.Animus (dennis) mentioned) is completely different.