Touchscreen shooting

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

BuzWeaver

n0 fUn 4 j00
Apr 17, 2004
Atlanta, GA - USA
Well, you still have to be able to move. If your finger(s) are pointing at the screen, you still have to contend with moving with one hand or the other. Not to mention the fact that the target is most likely moving as well.

Last edited:

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
Practice. Turn on the Arena mutator with Lightning Guns and play botmatches for like a month solid or something. Of course, that'll only improve your accuracy with that one piece of weaponry.

I'm sure the screens come with the software, but it won't matter anyway because it won't work with UT2004 with the results you're probably imagining in your head (touch the screen, bot dies).

Last edited:

BinarySystem

Banned
Jun 10, 2004
It's probrably possible to get it working something like you are imagining. However, I still prefer my trackball. It's probrably more precise than mashing the screen with your finger. Unless maybe you used some kind of a wand to touch the screen with.

Taleweaver

Wandering spirit
May 11, 2004
Off course
neilthecellist said:
Actually, that's exactly what I've been imagining. Touch screen, bot dies. :) LOL
:lol: keep on dreaming, buddy.

Before heading out to the store, at least try to change your keys so your mouse arm is only used to aim. This include keybinds for turning left and right, unless you want the idea of shooting everytime you turn around (touch the left side of the screen=shooting that position, remember?).

My guess this is hard enough, but there's more to consider (besides what has already been said):
-touching the screen with your finger blocks a part of your view (unless you're using a small pen)
-it's not that easy to touch exactly the right spot in a split second
-aiming is also a matter of leading (especially with slow shooting weapons like the rocket launcher), in which the touchscreen doesn't give a good advantage

hyrulian

Rainbow Brite
May 20, 2001
Chula Vista, CA
hyru.ath.cx
I would imagine touchscreens are very durable, considering that typical uses of a touchscreen are at POS (point-of-sale) terminals and kiosks placed in public places where various people touch away at them all day. :)

DDRRE

Flesh is a design flaw.
Feb 13, 2004
Israel
neilthecellist said:
OK new question: If I keep "mashing the screen" with my finger all day long for many years, would the monitor break eventually? Are touchscreens durable?
LOL, mashing :D :D :D :D
I've got no idea why am I laughing out loud right now :X, maybe it's because it's 03:37AM here :(

BinarySystem

Banned
Jun 10, 2004
They are tough. They should only break if you drop them. Or if you get too into it and try to activate your touchscreen shooting by shooting at the screen with a pellet gun. ;)