Tomb Raider clip

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
First the news was like "OMG TR sells 1 million copies in the first 48 hours" and now this? Ridiculous. Hope it doesn't affect the sequel.

It very well could.
http://www.gamespot.com/news/tomb-r...least-5m-to-be-a-success-says-analyst-6406034

3.4m in a month and it still wasn't good enough. This is getting pretty ridiculous. This in particular strikes me the wrong way

"But for games with development budgets approaching $100 million to be truly profitable, ratings have to be above 8.5 and sales need to be in the five to ten million unit range."

Ratings make no difference in sales figures. One only need to look in the direction of Double Fine and some of their games to see the proof. Also why in the hell would a game like Tomb Raider cost 100m in development alone? You guys are doing it wrong. This is the same bullshit EA pulled with Dead Space 3. Game has to sell 5m to be successful.... why? The first 2 games sold barely that figure combined and they expect one game to outsell them both?

I would be curious to see what sales figures are for past Tomb Raider games and if they are just as lofty.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2003
Europe
Companies are greedy and greed is never rational. The suits (especially the Japanese) have too high expectations.

The next Squeenix boss will lower his head in front of a crowd of reporters saying he will work harder to accomplish the assigned task, make his subordinates proud and work harder (more cameras on work place), seek for Shinto blessing for better fortune and be more grateful to his country and his family. Yes!

Ahh... teh japs (lmao).

Anyway, I'm actually having fun with TR the last hours of play. It feels like an actual (cut) Tomb Raider game at times. The always on camera shake is really good thing to feel emotion (in my stomach).

Apr 21, 2003
Europe
Seriously? All it takes is a visit to the Eidos/TR forums to see that the fans adore this game. I've been playing since the first and I will tell you that this is easily the best TR game I have played.

A true TR fan wouldn't say that, lol. It's good for what it is, but not for being a Tomb Raider game. It's something else.

Okay, I'm 50% in and it has been a good run so far. Level design is awesome and some parts, like the cult city, took me some time to move and climb through.

One thing this game excels at compared to the previous TR games is the gun mechanics. Very smooth and accurate. Also the older TR games tended to be a bit childish when it came to boss fights and mechanics, this one is more gritty and realistic, which I like.
If they get it back on track with actual tomb raiding in the next game and cut on the QTE nonsense and the shaky cam sickness, than I can see the franchise turning for the better.

I guess I can recommend the game now.

DarkED

The Great Oppression
Mar 19, 2006
Right behind you.
www.nodanites.com
I seem to remember one of the upgrades for it being just that, seeing hidden items through walls.

Now that you mention it I do remember there being one that allowed you to see hidden items. My mistake :D

A true TR fan wouldn't say that, lol. It's good for what it is, but not for being a Tomb Raider game. It's something else.

I played the hell out of and loved the first two Tomb Raider games back in the PSX era. I also played the hell out of and loved this one.

I guess that means I'm not a true Tomb Raider fan.

:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Twisted Metal

Anfractuous Aluminum
Jul 28, 2001
Long Island, NY
A true TR fan wouldn't say that, lol.

If I'm taking nostalgia into account then I would go ahead and say yeah, TR, TR2 were the best games in the series. They carry the best memories for me. But that's nostalgia talking.

If I did fun factor comparison of all TR games TODAY, TR 2013 would come out on top. Yes, it's not the original puzzle game that TR was. That's the point. It's a reboot.

Apr 21, 2003
Europe
I personally enjoy the things about TR2013 the most, that come closer to the previous TR games, from the free climbing, secret discovering up to the chime when you discover an undiscovered tomb (that one gives me chills!!).
If they cut the shaky drama and made more of the above, it would have been an even better game.

Are you seriously saying the QTE's and the way to simplified tomb raiding element is what makes this game so much better? Also not being able to die, unless you just stand there until you do, lol.

I agree that Lara being represented as a Character and the open world element with amazing level design are adding a lot to it. I never meant that the older TR's were perfect the way there were, there has been things to improve on, on which Underworld improved.

An important thing about the older TR's have been that somewhat clichéd early 20th century Indiana Jones like adventurer aspect, which the new one is lacking (and is a big minus point for me). Nostalgia has little to do with it.

I guess for you guys the older games were just puzzle games, while I thought that going on those risky tomb discovering campaigns in foreign countries, with all the exotic ancient places, following a trail of hints (found in books and relics) all over the globe (story thing) were the absolute key elements and identity of the TR games. The new TR concept simply can't beat that, because it is a mere survivalist game with the elements named above being just accessors.

I guess there are "fans" and there are "fans".

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2003
Europe
Okay, the game gets better and better. As good as no mini-cutscenes and QTE's, just raw gameplay. The complex looking environments look like you could go everywhere. There are even parts where you'd expect a cinematic cutscene to kick in, instead you hide behind a wall and see people do stuff (real time).
I almost feel like I'm playing it forever, doesn't want to end. Sure, if I was one of those competitive single player gamers, who would run around collecting everything and move on, than I'd be finished by now, but I like to walk around and explore things slow paced.

The view twitching when running drives me nuts. After an hour I feel like I inhaled headache causing chemical substances (dizzy feel). I cold kill some devs for making such incredibly stupid game design decisions.

Otherwise the game is great. Worth full price.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
We get the whole true TR fan thing a whole lot and it also occurred to people during development. A game reboot is a though decision, as far as convenience goes, they tried to make a better world of the 2 by adding a roller coaster of pacing between walking/solving things and shooting scavengers.

It didn't work out for everyone obviously, but it's enough for me. With ~350+ hours of play on this project, I can say that while the puzzles could be less casual, I'm glad they didn't stick to the older roots 100%.

EDIT: QTE's are frequent at the beginning of the game, then it really fades away.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2003
Europe
Alright, so I finished the game and would give it a 9/10 rating. That was great and I love the ending. I fully retain my previous opinions, as it is authentic to the horror that the initial QTE/mini-cutscene nightmare was (I would have quit if people didn't say it gets better), but it got better and better in the process. Level design, depth, gameplay, characters and story became better the further you went.

I see it as a successful reboot, but now I hope they get it back on track with actual tomb raiding. I actually don't mind a reboot, as it allows them to revisit all the nice locations (Egypt!) with it all being Lara's first time. Also I can't say I care much about the original story about Natla and sh#t, so they can do some nice things now.

As saids, all I care about is that they bring back the Adventurer/Explorer of ancient ruins thing and now that Lara has questions that might be the case.

Last edited:

Twisted Metal

Anfractuous Aluminum
Jul 28, 2001
Long Island, NY
I didn't even notice the shaky cam until someone pointed it out. I guess some people are a bit more susceptible to motion sickness than others. Doesn't bother me, but I agree, it should be an option.

Apr 21, 2003
Europe
The camera shake as such did not bother me much, I did not know what people were talking about when I heard the first complaints about the shaky camera in The Bourne Supremacy, until I payed attention. Also Unreal had an extreme head bobbing before the community patches and Quake had extreme head canting, so I'm not drawn to motion sickness as such, but in TR the sudden random camera twitching when running was really horrible. A new dimension of horrible, lol.
Did you play TR on a console?

Last edited:

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
Anyone else excited for the sequel?

[M]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rR1JTGjXIyE[/M]

Nah not my cup of tea but I can see the potential. But then again its a trailer and you know how trailers can be pretty misleading.

All in all another game that Squeenix will plan to sell 20 million units in a week and meet a quarter of that in a month and consider it a failure.

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
Not in love with the trailer, but the last one was pretty freaking incredible, so I'm definitely excited.