SKAARJ TOWER – SHADOW AND FIRE: Released

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

D R E W

Sep 11, 2004
zynthetic said:
May be possible to use creaturefactories to spawn those deleted pawns when they're needed.

Thanks Zynthetic, I was thinking along the same line.

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
D R E W said:
Yes, true teamplay in co-op is a blast! That is what I like most.

Yeah, you're one of the few who actually play Co-op the way it's intended to be... :B

Well, all I can about these maps is that the first one is really worth playing. It's huge, there's lots to explore, carefull execution, strategic placement of enemies.
Some inside areas are very low on detail though. But like you've said, that's for your next mappack ;-)

And maybe it wasn't a bad idea keeping the detail low, this time.

The second map.. I'm not too crazy about that one. If it had been the first map, and only that one I wouldn't have complained; Hey, it can take over an hour to complete it, you're busy.

Kinda like a "midieval" Ortican...

D R E W

Sep 11, 2004
I have not checked this thread in a while. I looked into converting the maps to 225 (quite some time ago), but it seemed like quite a bit of effort was involved in the process. I have to delete quite a bit of the actors (if not all), rebuild the geometry/bsp/lighting, then replace the actors which I deleted. Seems like a simple task, but because of the sheer size of the maps, replacing the actors will take quite some time, and I have not felt up to the task. If anyone feels up to the task, then they can feel free to do it. As for me, I don't think I will be doing it any time soon (I have been busy directing my efforts elsewhere at the current time).

Apr 21, 2003
Europe
I played this map some months ago, it's awesome and so huge.

D R E W said:
Yes, true teamplay in co-op is a blast! That is what I like most.
Especially team-work, where a mate fights a skaarj and another is loading 8 rockets into the skaarj so accurate, because the skaarj didn't noticed.

D R E W

Sep 11, 2004
225f COMPATIBILITY UPDATE – Special thanks to Zombie

I received an email from Zombie saying that he just released a custom map fix mutator, called CMapFixM. This fix mutator allows the Skaarj Tower – Shadow and Fire map series to run on 225f without crashing. The maps must first be converted from 226f to 225f, using a hex editor or Winged Unicorn's Map Converter (MC), prior to running them on the 225f platform with the fix mutator.

The mutator was designed to be as compatible as possible with other mutators (e.g. AKCoop2, MonsterSpawner, etc.). It will run simultaneously with all other mods and remain stable, provided the instructions on the readme txt file (included with the mutator download) are followed. The readme txt file more completely explains what the mutator does and what precautions must be taken.

You can download CMapFixM v0.1 at:
http://gaminginforall.homestead.com/files/CMapFixMv0-1.zip

You can download Winged Unicorn’s Map Converter at:
http://hypernl.thenerdnetwork.net/dl/MapConverter.7z

You can read more about this mutator at Hyper's forum:
http://www.unrealdestination.com/clients/hyper/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=876

Here is what was announced about the mutator on Hyper’s website under the General Announcements on December 14th, 2007:

“Zombie has been working on a nice mutator for custom map (coop) servers. His CMapFixM (Custom Map Fix Mutator) fixes bugs, annoyances and crashes on many popular maps and map packs. The fixes are automatically applied at level start, so no map editing is needed. I've been running a few beta versions of this mutator at the HyperCoop Custom Map Server and I'm impressed with the results.”

“CMapFixM is a TrueType mutator that is designed to fix custom singleplayer/coop maps that could easily become blocked by players. It also fixes custom maps with critical server or network compatibility issues. Its initial purpose began with fixing Drew's SkaarjTower & SkaarjCastle maps for 224/225, but now it has grown to fix other popular custom map packs as well.”

Last edited:

D R E W

Sep 11, 2004
I do not play many other game types other than cooperative play for Unreal or Unreal Tournament, but I did make a deathmatch map a few years back. It was based on a small segment of the first map in the Skaarj Tower series. I made the map for a friend who plays mostly deathmatch and had him and his clan test it. It turned out fairly well I believe. It is called Lexmark Castle.

Here is a link for DM-Lexmark Castle: http://forums.beyondunreal.com/showthread.php?t=165810

The Skaarj Tower maps are unfortunately far too big to be of much value for any other game type other than single player or cooperative play, unless small sections of the map(s) are rebuilt for the new game type, as I did for Lexmark Castle.