SKAARJ TOWER – SHADOW AND FIRE: Released

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
At first I died a lot in co-op. But that's what happens when you play without a plan ;p
It's not because it's co-op you're playing you have to play like a reckless smacktard.

Most who do this end up reconnecting the whole game. ...

Besides, I have a mod for co-op which makes you respawn with the weapons you've collected before you died.
Excellent, really excellent.

D R E W

Sep 11, 2004
Hyper said:
Today I converted the SkaarjCastle map to 224/225 with Winged Unicorn's Map Converter. http://hypernl.altervista.org/indexd.htm

Ya, I used Winged Unicorn's MC (Map Converter) program to convert Skaarj Tower and Skaarj Castle V2 (a long time ago with my first version of the map series). Both seemed to convert fine when using the program, but when the maps were played on 225f, only Skaarj Castle V2 worked. I worked with Cardiologist trying to solve the conversion problem with Skaarj Tower (so it would be available for the second release) by exploring other conversion options, but it could not be converted easily (I would have to spend a good deal of time converting it, and I am not willing to do the work). If you are able to successfully convert Skaarj Tower to 225f, please let me know Hyper. Thanks for the help!

Last edited:

Hyper

Hyper.nl Unreal Services
Nov 21, 2003
Planet Earth
www.hypercoop.tk
D R E W said:
Ya, I used Winged Unicorn's MC (Map Converter) program to convert Skaarj Tower and Skaarj Castle V2 (a long time ago with my first version of the map series). Both seemed to convert fine when using the program, but when the maps were played on 225f, only Skaarj Castle V2 worked. I worked with Cardiologist trying to solve the conversion problem with Skaarj Tower (so it would be available for the second release) by exploring other conversion options, but it could not be converted easily (I would have to spend a good deal of time converting it, and I am not willing to do the work). If you are able to successfully convert Skaarj Tower to 225f, please let me know Hyper. Thanks for the help!

SkaarjTower224.JPG

SkaarjTower cache .uxx file converted successfully for playing with Unreal 224. Because the original map on the server is unchanged, this means that I am currently the only person in the world who can play on this server with Unreal 224. But when you use Winged's converter, this may change.

D R E W

Sep 11, 2004
Hyper said:
SkaarjTower224.JPG

SkaarjTower cache .uxx file converted successfully for playing with Unreal 224. Because the original map on the server is unchanged, this means that I am currently the only person in the world who can play on this server with Unreal 224. But when you use Winged's converter, this may change.

Hyper, could you host the 224/225 version of Skaarj Tower somewhere on your webspace so I could download it and take a look at what you did. I really appreciate the help Hyper.

I had Cardiologist help me and we couldn't get it to work using your idea. Here is what we did usuing your idea. We put the original Skaarj Tower map on Cardiologist's 226f server and started it. Then we converted the map for 224/225 and put that map in Cardiologist's 224 client. We were able to join the 226 server with that file just fine. It seems that you only tried joining an online game but didn't try running the map on your server. With your idea, it appears that you can only join a 226f server with a 224/225 client, but you can't run the map on a 224/225 server.

Hyper

Hyper.nl Unreal Services
Nov 21, 2003
Planet Earth
www.hypercoop.tk
D R E W said:
Hyper, could you host the 224/225 version of Skaarj Tower somewhere on your webspace so I could download it and take a look at what you did. I really appreciate the help Hyper.

I had Cardiologist help me and we couldn't get it to work using your idea. Here is what we did usuing your idea. We put the original Skaarj Tower map on Cardiologist's 226f server and started it. Then we converted the map for 224/225 and put that map in Cardiologist's 224 client. We were able to join the 226 server with that file just fine. It seems that you only tried joining an online game but didn't try running the map on your server. With your idea, it appears that you can only join a 226f server with a 224/225 client, but you can't run the map on a 224/225 server.

I think I can, if the file is not too large, but it's not neccesary. Just unzip your map, download Winged's Map Converter, extract the file MC.exe in the folder where you unzipped your map, go to the DOS prompt, go to the folder where your skytower is, and type MC.EXE *.unr.

Now you have your SkyTower 224/225 compatible and ready for distribution.

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
Inuyasha said:
I love playing with a plan, makes it more fun and more realistic.

Yeah yeah, I know it sounds a bit boring ;-) But I don't feel like charging a horde of skaarj with a dispersion pistol...
Or dying 10-20 times each level because I'm too lazy to study the level or the weapon's possibilities. Or too lazy to play as a member of a team, and hence pwning the enemy ;Op

And pwned we have, damn.. we have.

It just sucked, playing on a server where everybody played solo. Hey, the gametype is co-op .. means you have to play as a team!!!

Haha.. (sarcastic grin). As if, most don't care... They just wanna pwn the titans, and what happens? The titans smash them to pieces...

Because yeah, charging a titan with your weapons blasting.. running straight in front of him.. is a good idea eh.

The times I've experienced true teamplay in co-op, I won't forget it.
It was so much fun :)

D R E W

Sep 11, 2004
NeoNite said:
The times I've experienced true teamplay in co-op, I won't forget it.
It was so much fun :)

Yes, true teamplay in co-op is a blast! That is what I like most.

D R E W

Sep 11, 2004
Hyper said:
I think I can, if the file is not too large, but it's not neccesary. Just unzip your map, download Winged's Map Converter, extract the file MC.exe in the folder where you unzipped your map, go to the DOS prompt, go to the folder where your skytower is, and type MC.EXE *.unr.

Now you have your SkyTower 224/225 compatible and ready for distribution.

Hyper, did you try hosting the map on your 225 server using your method?

Hyper

Hyper.nl Unreal Services
Nov 21, 2003
Planet Earth
www.hypercoop.tk
D R E W said:
Hyper, did you try hosting the map on your 225 server using your method?

No, it would be nice to have your map on my server, but because my server is on my home ADSL connection with limited upload that's not a good idea i'm afraid. (Downloaders and lag)

Winged Unicorn

From wishes to eternity
Drew, I found a little bit of free time today so I decided to see what's wrong with your maps. After converting your Skaarj Castle map with my converter, the map turned out to be working fine for 225f clients, but not for 225f servers. Therefore, I tried to figure out why the server crashed when loading your map and I probably found the reason: there are too many pawns. Specifically, I counted 306 ScriptedPawns... I guess that's way too much for the poor Unreal engine.

Solution: re-open your Skaarj Castle map in your 226f editor, remove some of the pawns you placed (it doesn't matter which species, just delete about 25-30 of them - from the tests I did, that amount should be enough) and save it. Then, convert it with my Map Converter and test it on a 225f server... it should finally work ;)

Unfortunately, I don't have time anymore to look at the Skaarj Tower map. I wonder if and when I'll be able to... :(