Rate the Last Movie You Watched

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Twisted Metal

Anfractuous Aluminum
Jul 28, 2001
Long Island, NY
The Diving Bell and the Butterfly - 9/10

An emotional story of a man who has a stroke and goes into what is known as 'locked in syndrome' essentially paralysing him and making him unable to speak. He is trained by two (very hot) speech therapists how to communicate with his eyelids. The movie manages to be humorous, insightful and gut wrenching all at once. The entire film is played from the first person perspective of the paralysed man in question (except for some flashbacks and when he imagines things).

You really feel the sense of being 'locked in' that is described (also referring to a diving bell - think of the big daddy suits in bioshock, but you can't get out. EVER).

Here is a trailer which pretty much gives the gist of it.

Totally worth watching.

Ok I'm gonna have to disagree here. I really wanted to love this and add it to my tops, but it just didn't do it for me. I could see how it was trying to be all artsy and poetic, but it just didn't affect me. Kind of boring IMO, and half of the dialogue was those woman repeating the alphabet. That was getting really annoying!

My top foreign films [in no particular order] are City of God, Sin Nombre, and Oldboy.

das_ben

Concerned.
Feb 11, 2000
Teutonia
La rivière du hibou (aka Occurence at Owl Creek Bridge). Simply brilliant, one of the best short movies I've ever seen. The somewhat bad audio and video quality actually makes it even more interesting and appear older than it actually is. 10/10

Near Dark. Very entertaining. I much prefer these redneck-type vampires to the Anne Rice-style highbrow ones. Bill Paxton and Lance Henriksen are kickass in this one, especially when they get to be violent (I loved the bar scene), the two main characters were a little too 80s lovey-dovey for me though. 7/10

Deutschland im Herbst. Great images and a great snapshot of how German society and especially the Left were affected by the terrorism of the Red Army Faction and the backlash by the state against it. Fassbinder's likening of the state actions to those of Nazi Germany is - while going too far - essentially mirroring the opinion of many members of the Left and also highlighting the very real continuity of administration personnel between Nazi and West Germany. 9/10

Home. Yann Arthus-Bertrand's beautiful images of the world don't only work as photographs, but also as moving pictures. I'm glad for the upbeat ending, as the message conveyed in the rest of the movie is very sobering and often downright depressing. Everyone should see this and gain new appreciation for this planet of ours. 9/10

The Breakfast Club. Five clichéd characters break their clichés by interacting with each other - in a rather entertaining way. The music and dance scene could have been avoided, but other than that, everything's fine the way it is. Definitely one of the best teen movies ever made. Ally Sheedy was hot! 8/10

Luna Papa. Eccentric and different, and in that, and its surrealism, reminiscent of Emir Kusturica. Great performance by the girl and her father, and to a lesser degree, by the brother (played by Moritz Bleibtreu, the only known name in the cast). "Human evil", seen here in the form of prejudiced villagers, must be fought whenever the occasion arises. 8/10

Picnic at Hanging Rock. This movie entirely lives by its foreshadowing, creating a subtle tension. The dreamy images are supported in an excellent way by the atmospheric score, especially by the pan flute repeatedly playing. An interesting period piece depicting the locked-in-ness in an all-girls school at the turn of the century. My only major gripe was with the awkwardness of a lot of the acting, particularly in speech. 8/10

Event Horizon scared me when it first came out. I was a kid and went to see it in the theater. It was so awesome. It was also my first viewing of boobs in a theater too!

I liked the movie. It's always good for a late night friday viewing if nothing else is on.

17 Again - 5/10

It's actually more depressing than it is anything else. I pretty much wasted away my highschool years, and am still doing it. If I could go back, I would. And I would probably change alot of things. Watch it if you're bored I suppose. Otherwise it's your typical "adult transforms into younger self" cliche movie. See also: Big, Freaky Friday (I'm sure I'm forgetting atleast 10 others)

Last edited:
Last House On The Left (2009) - 3/10, but only because it had some cute girls, boobs, and some pretty rad scenes.

It's your typical movie (see also: Taken (which I hated)). Girls get taken and beaten, parents kill off said offending attackers. Print, Stamp and that's a wrap!

I'd say only a few things worth watching this movie for. The 3 young girls are cute. The girl from Superbad (that the skinny kid liked) is cute imo. The mean girl is also cute aswell, and shows breastes.

I can say that the last 5 seconds is pretty ****ing cool though. I will probably never watch this movie again. I'm actually certain I will never watch it again. it's just lame in everyway.

sid

I posted in the RO-me thread
and all I got was
a pink username!
Oct 20, 2005
G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra: I went in the theater thinking that Im gonna enjoy this one and Im not gonna lie to ya, I loved it! The movie keeps its head high primarily because there is absolutely no compromise when it comes to keeping the G.I Joe "The real american hero!" spirit intact; it is faithful to its origins but mind you the same cannot be said for the characters who have gone through some major overhauling but its all in good taste, its like an alternate G.I. Joe universe. So, if you can keep your expectations to a minimum and can manage to give your brain a backseat for a couple hours and throw in a bit of G.I. Joe love while youre at it , you will not be disappointed. Oh by the way, the women are uber hot!

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
Ok I'm gonna have to disagree here. I really wanted to love this and add it to my tops, but it just didn't do it for me. I could see how it was trying to be all artsy and poetic, but it just didn't affect me. Kind of boring IMO, and half of the dialogue was those woman repeating the alphabet. That was getting really annoying!

Missed the point...

Al

Reaper
Jun 21, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Event Horizon scared me when it first came out. I was a kid and went to see it in the theater. It was so awesome. It was also my first viewing of boobs in a theater too!

I liked the movie. It's always good for a late night friday viewing if nothing else is on.

Indeed. It's still pretty freaky, IMO.

IronMonkey

Moi?
Apr 23, 2005
Scotland
www.margrave.myzen.co.uk
You were only supposed to blow the bloody doors off!

The Italian Job 7.5/10

Classic heist movie. Slightly slow in some of the set up by modern standards but usually funny and exciting. The cars, settings and stunts are cute.

Remarkably prescient take on hacking transport infrastructure. Way ahead of its time in understanding the vulnerabilities of such systems.

Sunshine 4/10

I know this is generally well-regarded but I thought it mostly a boring mess. Probably my problem was that the ongoing implausibilities meant that I could never engage with the "plot" or the characters.

The one highlight was the character played (well) by Chris Evans. I enjoyed his often painful clarity of vision with regards to the mission.

Lruce Bee

Transcending to another level
May 3, 2001
Sherwood Forest
District 9 - 8/10
Cool movie but I didn't blow my load over it like a lot of people have.
Gonna watch Transformers 2 later so expect an appropriate score for that in a bit.

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
What point? That it was realistic? I know, but being a human and all I get slightly annoyed when I hear the same thing over and over again about eleventy billion times.

The movie was giving the audience the world through the point of view from the quadriplegic. It's a terrible, frustrating life that he had to try and make due with.

By forcing the audience to sit through that monotony of the letters (even for a little bit), they were being put, in a sense, into his damaged body. They weren't trying to be realistic, they were giving you an experience.

~Jason

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
Sunshine 4/10

I know this is generally well-regarded but I thought it mostly a boring mess. Probably my problem was that the ongoing implausibilities meant that I could never engage with the "plot" or the characters.

The one highlight was the character played (well) by Chris Evans. I enjoyed his often painful clarity of vision with regards to the mission.

I'll have to agree with that. Originally I have rated the movie higher, but after letting it sink in well... it starts out fine but it does become a mess later on.
Especially when they encounter the first spaceship, and the so called "survivor. Which was a horrible plot twist
It could've been better, so much better.

Watched "28 weeks later" again, and it really outshines the original. In most cases however, it's the exact opposite.

Last edited:

-Xenocide-

Jan 19, 2008
I'll have to agree with that. Originally I have rated the movie higher, but after letting it sink in well... it starts out fine but it does become a mess later on.
Especially when they encounter the first spaceship, and the so called "survivor. Which was a horrible plot twist

yeah it
degenerated into a lame monster movie at the end
but i really liked the rest of it. It's a shame, if it had been done differently, I think it could have been truly a great movie

Thrallala

Wait, if you're here then that means...
May 11, 2008
Under the bridge downtown.

Watched "28 weeks later" again, and it really outshines the original. In most cases however, it's the exact opposite.

Seen Sunshine recently too, I like it though :p, but yes, the last 1/3 of the movie lowers the grade a bit, but it still works. What really shines about this movie is Cillian Murphy, the soundtrack and special effects though :)

I'd rate it 8/10

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006

Ack, I could barely stand that movie.
Oh look, we have a woman who is obviously infected, let's not have her under any security whatsoever. Oh hi, the government is trying to stop a wave of zombies by nipping this thing in the bud. I disagree with intelligent planning so I'm going to fight them. Oh hey, I know my sibling is infected and that's how this whole mess started with mom and dad, let's smuggle them off to europe so we can infect them too.

Perhaps it's just me, but I enjoyed the: sure humanity is deeply flawed, but there is hope and beauty and love in us message of the first movie rather than the: sure we can be nice but we're also insanely stupid and we will destroy everything worth saving with our niceness message of the second.