Q to those with military experience

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

LordKhaine

I sing the body electric...
Dec 6, 1999
UK
Visit site
One Primary weapon, 1 sidearm, a few nades. Thats all I carry. The only instance I can see to break that loadout is if you have a nade launcher, or your packing a small SMG instead of a sidearm, to back up your sniper rifle.

NotBillMurray

It's Suntory Time!
Mar 11, 2001
We only carried a single M16 with 4 to 6 magazines. But our primary purpose wasn't long term patrol, but clearing an area for combat comm. So our mileage would vary. As far as alternate weapons, that may be true with some of the more specialized sections, but we never saw it. If they gave you a pistol, it was because you couldn't carry a 16 with you. If you could carry a 16 without interfeing with your job, then a 16 for you. Only officers carried pistols that I saw. But then I was in the USAF, and we routinely put our officers in harms way :)

Prophetus

Old Fart
Dec 4, 1999
...standing behind you...
lol monk_zero.

Yes, as many stated before, the weapon/bulk weight depend on the mission and goals. But since this is a game and you are not going to stay in a single match for 10 to 12 hours, a load of 20 pounds is considered lightweight and properly attached, silent.

In real life, noise is a serious factor and that will also determine your gear setup. But in a game, well...really, equipment noise isn't too much of an issue. So, that leaves us with endurance to weight ratio.

I mean, a M-60 gunner is constantly trained to carry the heavy weapon. But give that weapon to a sniper to carry...he won't go too far. Well, not as far as the M-60 gunner would go. So, if bulk weight does become implemented, the correct procedure would be to add classes with different endurance parameters. I'm not talking about speed, I'm talking about longevity.

It really depends on how the bulk weight system is incorporated into a mod or game.

Col.Sanders

Oct 12, 2000
I don't have *military* experience, but they are not the only people who pack guns, ammo, and gear.

I've talked with a few soldiers of the Veitnam era. Two carried their M16s and nothing else. One had a M79, 1911 .45acp, and a sawn-off pump-shotgun (which he got from someone who left the unit).

Some soldiers of current vintage (no combat) confirm they never carried pistols, just M16's. A M-60 gunner and a mortarman were issued a M9 Beretta with 4 extra clips. Both of heavy-weapons-guys moved in teams of 3- leader, gunner, assistant, and the two other guys had M16's, no pistols.

So basically, I have never spoken to a soldier who carried more than one long-arm, save the M79 gunner with his shotgun. I was distressed at the lack of sidearms for soldiers.

Nexus6

More human than human
Feb 3, 2000
Ghost, Prophetus, Evil:

You guys are serving in the military now? And you have time to play INF?? Not to mention have computers on which you can install INF and access the internet?!

Now I'm worried. What happens if the Canadians invade and all of our military is busy playing INF?!

Evil Joe

I Will Kill You
Feb 13, 2000
I'm an Army Reservist (not the differences in what US Army Infantry carry and what the Marines carry). I'm in college right now and only have 3 semesters left till I get my Civil Engineering degree. After that I plan on going to warrent officer school and then to Army Aviation to be a helicopter pilot. Bet you didn't know that the US Army has more pilots then any other branch :).

crash*

no job too small, no fee too large
Mar 17, 2001
Downrange
I think it's also important to distinguish between what an infantryman is issued/loaded up with and what he actually has on during the firefight. Most of my experience is mech, and we carried enough stuff to choke a horse. Pre-combat layout might make you look like a christmas tree, BUT, when the ramp dropped, you went out with 1 weapon and all the ammo you could haul. You can pretty much fake anything but ammo.

And remember, the weight of your ruck is subject to beer math.
30 lbs + x years = 30x lbs
(and it was uphill, both ways, driving rain, 107 degrees, etc)

NotBillMurray

It's Suntory Time!
Mar 11, 2001
Hey Nexus, it might surprise you, but there is a remarkable amount of video game play being done in hostile fire pay areas. What better way to enthuse your comm troops into doing a good job than to allow them to play UT on their off time? :)

Prophetus

Old Fart
Dec 4, 1999
LOL, let our great brothers and sisters from Canada invade. As long as they don't mess with our internet connections...we won't care:).

And yes, the army has more pilots. But it's the quality not the quantity:).

Here is a military joke:

Army: The Army grunts are pushed out of bed at 0500 and quickly don on their BDU's. Without pause, they run down for a hot chow. At 0530, the Company Captain shouts and commands the soldiers into formation.

"Ok you dawgs, today we fight the enemy. I want everyone of you to grab your gear and hit the enemy hard! Don't turn back and fight to the death! Give em hell boys!

Marines: They are brutally forced awake by their Captain at 0400. They quickly chew on their boots for breakfast as they form up in ranks. The Captain stands in front of the Marines and shouts.

"Ok you jarheads, listen up! We fight the enemy today and those pukes will know fear when we attack. I want all of you to fight hard and die trying. Give em hell Marines!

Navy: The Sailors wake up to the sound of the ship's Captain at 0730. The Sailors slowly crawl out of their bunks and head towards the mess for a hot breakfast of powdered eggs and rubber ham. At 0900, they arrive at their stations and hear the Captain on the loud speakers.

"Sailors, the enemy is close and you will do everything in your power to eliminate them. Don't fear, because I will guide the ship. But, it's you Sailors who stand on the decks and man the guns. So, give em hell Sailors!

Air Force: The Airman wakes up at 0830. He wakes up his two girls and cooks them breakfast. After washing them and putting on their clothes, the Aiman sends them to school. Kissing his wife, he gets into his new Mustang and drives to the nearest McDonalds for the daily special. While driving, he sips on the hot coffee and listens to the local radio show. Upon entering his work center, he greets his fellow Airmen and plays a round of poker. Then, the commander briefs the Airmen.

"Airmen, today the enemy will feel our heat. Prepare the aircraft!"

The Airman heads out to the aircraft. He checks the aircraft and when the preflight checks are complete, a Captain comes out and enters the plane. The Airman looks up at the Captain and shouts.

"Give em hell, Sir!"

Dogboy

Adept
Aug 22, 2000
Once upon a tim, there was an MCO...

A few years ago, there was an MCO (Marine Corps Order, for you uninitiated types) that described how all marines will be proficient in both M-16A2 and M-9. If I recall correctly, it did say that an M-9 is supposed to be issued to all marines engaged in offensive manuevers. Heh. The only reason why I remember this is because I was (at the time) a Lance Corporal, trying to get on the next pistol range to qualify with the M-9. Wait a minute. Okay, mebbe its more like 5 years now.

Sgt Bindert, USMC
2841 Ground radio repairman.
25th Marine Regiment I&I

Prophetus

Old Fart
Dec 4, 1999
Ok, here is another.

An Army General, Air Force General, Marine General and Navy Admiral were sitting in the Pentagon. The Marine General looks over to the Navy Admiral and says,

"You know, we have the bravest group of snot noses in all the world!"

The others looked at him and started to laugh. The Navy Admiral replies, "Hell, I'll show the bravest!".

He immediately calls in a SEAL Team and instructs them to attack Iraq and bring Saddam to him. Within days, they return, with Saddam bound in duct tape.

"See, told you the Navy has the bravest people in the world!"

The Marine General scoffs and calls in his Recon team.

"I want you to go into China and bring back every piece of Secret information they have!"

Within days, the Recon returns with every Secret and Top Secret documents that exist in China.

"See, we have the bravest people, Ha!"

The Army General then calls in his Rangers and orders them to infiltrate Columbia and bring in every drug Cartel leader. Two days later, the Rangers return, mission successful.

"Now, who has the bravest? We do! Go Army!"

The Air Force General lets out a soft chuckle and slowly shakes his head. The other's look at him and ask him what is so funny.

"Everybody knows the Air Force has the bravest people in the world."

The other Generals began to laugh and make fun of the Air Force General.

"Ok, looks like I have to prove it", stated the Air Force General.

The Air Force General calls in a new recruit to report to their office. The recruit enters and the General says, "Ok, Airman! I want you to pick up that broom and start sweeping our office!"

The Airman quickly looks at the broom and the large office. He slowly turns and replies, "Yah, right! You can suck my nuts!"

Zundfolge

Dec 13, 1999
USA
LOL!

Reminds me of this one...

Perspective

Army -- Man it sucks here
Navy -- Man it sucks over there
Marines -- I LOVE HOW IT SUCKS HERE!
Air Force -- No cable? Man, That sucks!

My dad was an Airborn Ranger in Viet Nam, and when on patrol he carried a Winchester 10ga riotgun, it had an 8 round box magazine and would fire full auto if need be. He carried that, a 1911 and a Walther PPK (which was more of a good luck charm then a sidearm).

Lance201

Jan 31, 2000
Germany
Visit site
jokes

that's funny... there are the sames sort of jokes about the army,navy and airforce in ecery country I think. I served a lot of years in the geramn airforce. The standardjoke ther was: why have the armymen black trousers and grey jackets??? Because if the things have the same colour like in the airforce (blue) they would mix up !!! But I was in the ground-defence-forces, and this are the mudeaters of the airforce...

LCPL TWENTY

Dangerous10K

Armed and as always Dangerous
Nov 26, 2000
so does this mean my

benelli m3/sig swat w/scope and 5 nades is a unrealistic loadout?

itskeiagain

Adept
Mar 12, 2001
Dangerous10K

I think it's very possible to carry all that. But in reality, if you have a Sig, would you still carry M3 with you considering the extra weight and bulkiness?

I would probably want to carry as little as possible since I never know when I'd have to run for my dear life!!:D

itskeiagain

Adept
Mar 12, 2001
But then again, I suppose I could carry all that stuff and still drop everything(except your main weapon) when I really have to run fast:)