Official UT3 Loving Thread

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Fuzz

Enigma
Jan 19, 2008
Universe
Some people are obviously dissatisfied with UT3 in some way. I myself have a hard time finding anything to criticize. People think the game is unfinished but I don't think that's the case anymore. I know, I had to edit some INI-files to make it work properly but that was before the patches. I say, if the game won't work you either have a slow and messed up computer or you're pushing the settings too high.

There is another factor as well. People get old and stop playing games all day. Almost ten years since the first Unreal Tournament. I don't have much time to play anymore, most because of all the TV series I try to follow.

UT3 is still my favorite shooter. I would not want to play a game based on contemporary or past reality. I really like the sci-fi aspect of Unreal.

shadow_dragon

is ironing his panties!
I have to say, i really like UT3.... I just don't play it, presumably i've outgrown it. I think the gameplay is right and such but somehow it just doesn't feel quite right when i play it. A case of good game and bad player i suppose.

I have issues with the modding aspects that cut me out of being able to do what i like doing though but meh.

saracen16

Certified Flak Monkey
Apr 23, 2008
Sands of Arabia
Ok, I finally installed the game yesterday on my laptop (2.4GHz dual core, 512MB VRAM dedicated ATI HD3650, 3GB DDR2 RAM) and I am reminded of some Arab/Turkish proverb that goes like "Your truest friend is the one who makes you cry, not the one who makes you laugh". There are a few things I have to raise up before I call out what I like about the game:

- After playing continuous sessions after a single run of UT3, it suddenly crashes after several times playing it.
- There aren't a lot of maps to play with.
- Even after installing the latest patches, 1.1 followed by 1.2, there are still a handful of bugs that a lot of you guys probably talked about such as the dual enforcer not popping up all the time, and the absence of portraits of communicating players.
- There should be more open LAN support.
- A lot of graphical bloom in some parts.
- Lots more, but those are the few at the top of my mind.

Other than that, this game just ROCKS!!! The graphics are just BEAUTIFUL and to die for. It runs unbelievably smooth... don't know the fps, though. Even though there aren't a lot of maps, almost every single one of them is amazing. I especially like DM's Fearless, Heatray, Deimos and Gateway, CTF's Coret, Facing Worlds, and Searchlight, VCTF Necropolis, and WAR's Downtown, Dusk, and Torlan. The weapons (favorite: dual enforcer, link gun, shock rifle) and vehicles (favorite: Scorpion, Paladin, Nemesis) are both balanced and fun to use.

I just hope EPIC and Midway continue to support UT3 and fix all the issues that still plague this great game... oh, and more maps would be nice, too. :D

Last edited:

-Wulfy-

qoou
May 18, 2008
I love UT3. I am a UT whore. I bought every UT game since the original on its first release day (yes I can still remember buying UT and the first thrill). In my opinion the game has surpassed its previous encarnation every time its released.

Fuzz

Enigma
Jan 19, 2008
Universe
Custom maps loads slow and crashes sometimes for me, other than that it's working great.

Of course I have bought every game in the series, the entire Unreal franchise I might add, at least the PC releases.

I do miss an Unreal Tournament 2 game thou. I also wonder what might be included in an Unreal Tournament Zero.

Love the game.

Fuzz

Enigma
Jan 19, 2008
Universe
Thanks to my LoDS tweaks I now can play the game at 20-25 frames per second constantly on most of the maps and 30-35 frames per second on the HOLP map pack maps.

Duel is actually very interesting. No weapon stay. Just one opponent. Especially the Fearless map. It's way hardcore to hit someone with the Impact Hammer in EMP alternative fire mode. Constant framerates and low detail is really good for the gameplay.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
SMOOTH framerates are mostly what is good for the gameplay. Deviances in the framerate make the game feel uneven for some reason.

Benfica

European Redneck
Feb 6, 2006
This is somewhat OT, and I know I'll be flamed for this...

0rbfare is full of ideologic messages, or reflect a negative state of mind:
* Punishes failure all the time (orb delivery). Negative approach. What made the U.S. successful was... trying without being afraid of failing. Fearless people with free initiative, the American dream, all that...
* Heroes, hierachies and roles, instead of free iniciative like ONS. Players are part of a tournament, not an army.
* It's called Warfare. Abbreviation: WAR
* Necris invasion brings the "good against evil" crap.
* Smart ass visual settings with color desaturation and red flashing crap, for pseudo-realistic ambience. ONS was cartoonish, UT3/WAR is depressive.

This is somewhat OT, and I know I'll be flamed for this...

0rbfare is full of ideologic messages, or reflect a negative state of mind:
* Punishes failure all the time (orb delivery). Negative approach. What made the U.S. successful was... trying without being afraid of failing. Fearless people with free initiative, the American dream, all that...
* Heroes, hierachies and roles, instead of free iniciative like ONS. Players are part of a tournament, not an army.
* It's called Warfare. Abbreviation: WAR
* Necris invasion brings the "good against evil" crap.
* Smart ass visual settings with color desaturation and red flashing crap, for pseudo-realistic ambience. ONS was cartoonish, UT3/WAR is depressive.

errrrrrrrrrrr wot?

Darkdrium

20% Cooler
Jun 6, 2008
Montreal
Or maybe it's just a game called Unreal, and you shouldn't care about such crap when playing a game with such a name. Because in case you didn't know: Unreal is not meant to be an ideological message carrier, but rather a multiplayer game. Have fun playing, or don't. It will be all the better when all the hating players return to their game, and leave this one alone.

PS: You do know that this is the "Loving thread", not the "Hate thread". :/ So yeah, this is OT. :eek:

Fuzz

Enigma
Jan 19, 2008
Universe
The difference between being corny and being cool is...

Perhaps you prefer a fairy tale version of the game? Just so you can go all hunky dory on it.

Remember, games are for kids so don't grow up!

Benfica

European Redneck
Feb 6, 2006
Ah, love, hate and fairy tales :)

Look, all that **** is appropriate for crappy militar/tactical/pseudo-realistic shooters, not a futuristic fast paced one.

And for me complaining about UT3 is not a matter of hating or considering that it "sucks", it's just a matter that for me it's not 10/10. I even have defended UT3 every time I had a chance in the past, mainly when most people were doing the opposite

Last edited:

Plutonia_Experi

Jan 28, 2008
Well, I really want to post here.
I love UT3. The gameplay is the best I've ever experienced.

It is both competitive and a great fun at the same time. They did it, they finally made a game where you can both feel the power of the weapon in your hands but leaving a lot of room to the skill of the player to dodge/avoid the enemies. The balance of the weapons is perfect, with all them so different but of equal threat. I like the Stinger that, being not hitscan like in the previous games, leaves a little more room for the skill of leading. Biorifle finally doesn't get mocked, Rocket Launcher/Flak where there's a reason to switch between the 2.

I love UT3 because it's fast like hell. It's fast, and it's not all a "shooting flying pigeons" like UT2Kx. It is really "in your face", at least this promise from Epic has been fulfilled.

I love the new style, the Necris world is outstanding, is really...cool. I'm happy to trade all the stupid rubbish styles of UT2004 for it.

Vehicles are great, not only they managed to balance 15 vehicle, but all of them are funny to play. Scorpion and Hellbender are now serious vehicles, the Manta is still able to do Carmageddon but is now balanced because with a UT3 Scorpion is dead. Necris vehicles are frighful.
It's great to reckon that they put only vehicles that have actually a role and a use, not just to increase the number.
I'm really happy even in the balance infantry/vehicle. It has to be this way, a vehicle must be an advantage in the actual fight, not only a transport. And they now feel heavy, powerful, not like in UT2004 that they were knocked to hell with the shock rifle.

Almost all the maps are great. Again, quality and not quantity, and not packing a game with rubbish like UT2004. Sure I would have liked a little more maps for CTF, but the ones that are there are outstanding (too bad half of them are remake, and I hate Coret since the first time I saw it in UT).

The AI is the best of the series. While I still complain about several flaws in WAR and vCTF, I have to say the bots give the best challenge both in a strategic gametype (it never occourred to me to lose a CTF-ONS in UT2004 with even numbers bots at my skill level - in UT3 it does) and in a Deathmatch. I like their fighting style and I don't think they are too good at hitscan.

This game is great, and I recommend it to everyone that likes to shoot.
All of the problems I'm experiencing with UT3 are BUGs. There's plenty of them, but I think Epic will fix them in the next patches.

And just think...about how many games out there you complain about x, y, z ? As far as I know, UT series are the only games that are actually supported after the release.
We were just expecting....a lot, that's why we are all pissed off because we saw a great game with so many flaws.

If they fix all (including bots not focusing on powercore, I don't think they will fix this) I'll give this game a 10/10.

Last edited:

CorDharel

UT3 is my religion
Feb 3, 2003
Zürich, Switzerland
www.hsb.ch.vu
Alright, I bought UT3 and played it, it was great, but got boring somehow.

So I reconsidered and played every other freaking game that I could find and 'should' be good, like Crysis, CoD4, CSS, ETQW, Frontlines and so on.

I am a game addicted, I play almost every game that I am interested in. And I am interested not only in fps, but also in rpg and rts games. I also played the sims 2 because my gf loves it so hard. :lol: That makes alot of games.

What my point is? I played every freaking new good game of the last x years, but I have to admit today, that the only game I really love and play over and over again is UT3 because it is FUN and I love to blast a rocket in to my enemies or shoot them with the biorifle. And I love the graphics, imo the best graphics I have ever seen.

After UT2k4, I now fell in love with UT3 CTF again.

You never have this kind of fast paced shooting action somewhere else in such a perfect way.

I love UT3!

Last edited:

end0rphine

Jun 27, 2008
This game is awesome, and i knew it would be. The first time i played i literally said to myself..."just as I expected.." :)

if you don't like this game well...you just suck at it, and you probably suck at life too...so go play call of duty....fags.

anyway this game is sick, and thats all I have to say about it.

Last edited: