Official UT3 Loving Thread

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

DarQraven

Jan 20, 2008
or at least acceptable player counts. I mean seriously, 16ppl on deck?! Or worse yet, 16 on that little asian one... Shangri-La or something like that? (not sure, haven't played a whole lot of DM yet)

Try 16 on biohazard;)

Still though, I love UT3, and it's an AWESOME game.
I've played all the latest and greatest, Crysis, Halo 3, Gears of War, Resistance, CoD4, yet I haven't had as much fun in any of them as I have in UT3 regularly.

Plus, any game that doesn't feature shock combos automatically receives a -5 penalty to fun;)

Anuban

Your reward is that you are still alive
Apr 4, 2005
For all its little faults this is the only video game I have (out of quite a few across the PC, 360, and PS3 including most of the latest "hot" titles) that I play everyday. I even thought that DMC4 would pull me away but nope ... stopped playing that and reinstalled UT3 and I am as hooked as ever ... I guess I play UT2k4 and Gears and Crysis as well but not as much. Actually I play UT3 and Ut2K4 regularly ... the others maybe once or twice a week. Although once I get those Gears of War cheats working I know I will be playing that game all the time. I really wish Gears had bots like UT3.

I bought this game for the PS3 just so I could enjoy it downstairs on my big screen and also to help out folks who wanted to play this on the PS3. And yes I will buy it for the 360 when it comes out as long as it has some extra content or at least split screen offline support so I can play friends at my house.

I've played all the latest and greatest, Crysis, Halo 3, Gears of War, Resistance, CoD4, yet I haven't had as much fun in any of them as I have in UT3 regularly.

Plus, any game that doesn't feature a Flak Cannon automatically receives a -5 penalty to fun;) FIXED ;)

Exactly. :) And I am a big Halo fan ... I thought I would never get tired of Halo 3 but after two playthroughs I was pretty much done .. I still think it is a fun game which at some point I am going to play through again but no bots mean that its the same old scripted fights over and over when you are like me and don't play online. At least with the bots they really change up with each match ... no two matches is ever the same (except the outcome :D ) For people who don't play online there is just no shooter that can compare with the UT series (some people say Quake III Arena but no way is that game more fun than UT3 imo, we won't even talk about looks).

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2008
New Zealand
A couple of nice things that may not have been mentioned already:

The "I see the blue screen" death comment from robots.

The ability to aim in third-person.

Anuban

Your reward is that you are still alive
Apr 4, 2005
The art overall is great. I'd love to see some more city maps. :)

Yeah me two ... those are my favorite ... there is not a day that goes by (well almost) where I don't play at least one match on Defiance. I love that map ... I really think it is the best DM map in UT3 and so far not one map I have seen beats it ... as good as some of the user created ones are ... even the remakes Defiance sets a standard to me that is just hard to beat. It has it all. Z-axis action galore but implemented to perfection not forced at all. An underground tunnel several larger areas to fight in ... a few CQC areas, great connectivity and flow ... NO dead ends, fantastic looks, amazing attention to the little details, great item placement ... the perfect amount of health vials and orbs. I mean man that map rocks. I'm still waiting for one on that level.

klasnic

ra ra rat Putin!
Jan 24, 2004
Waterford, Ireland
I love w0rfhair and vCTF (which sucked in 2k4 for the most part but Epic nailed it this time yay), love the maps, characters and just about everything else too... Long live UT3 :)

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
What part of the nearly nonexistent avril ammo, vehakal spawn raping (blowing up enemy vehakals before someone gets in them), manta/viper spawn raping, and flag camping in the tank in VCTF is cool? :con:

hilo_

Jan 19, 2008
Duel is pretty fun in UT3. Problem is, we've only got 2 stock maps that are duel-worthy (and that's counting deck :))

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
What part of the nearly nonexistent avril ammo, vehakal spawn raping (blowing up enemy vehakals before someone gets in them), manta/viper spawn raping, and flag camping in the tank in VCTF is cool? :con:
What part of "Official UT3 Loving Thread" did you not understand? :p

Mircea

Feb 25, 2008
I have to admit I like quite a bunch of things about it. The main thing you notice is the return of a more UT-classic gameplay, style and of course main menu song. After that, the way they made that bloom effect is very beautiful, even if a little too much. The vehicles and node-game (since its named differently from 2k4) are almost the same and its very good as I loved the way they worked in the last UT. More gameplay complexity is also very welcome. Otherwise, there are other nice things and others that can be gotten over :)

brdempsey69

Original UT Owns !!
Jun 19, 2003
Visit site
I hate to sound like blind praise, but I love UT3. But I like playing offline more than on, as is the case with most FPS games. I just cant stand listening to all the jerkwads who talk **** and spam annoying crap during the match.

No blind praise at all, there are a lot of things to like about UT3, and patch 2 was progress in the right direction. Since I've gotten patch 2 I've been playing everyday. Like yourself, I play LAN matches offline because I can administer my own server and play with people I know and don't have to deal with any jerkwads.

....except the Sniper Rifle is alot cooler and better than the LG. :)

Agree 100% with you and that's one of the things I like most about UT3, is that they got rid of the Lightning Gun and replaced it with a kickass Sniper Rifle that's far more useful and formidable than the LG ever was.

brdempsey69

Original UT Owns !!
Jun 19, 2003
Visit site
What in the Patch 1.2 has made you changed your mind?

Bot's aren't making me the primary target anymore, only if I'm first in their line of sight. Also, I can now hear bots taunting back and forth to one another when I'm spectating -- something that was never mentioned in the patch release, but was a welcome addition nonetheless, at least for me.

Also, web server admin is now possible.

Last night, I played CTF-Coret ( a map I seldom ever played in UT99, in spite in of its popularity and the number of hours I played UT99) in a 4 vs 4 match with bots and it was KICKASS fun. Also I found a couple of good custom CTF maps ( Safegaurd & TwistedFace).

So there is hope for the game, IF epic will fill in the missing pieces and fix what's broken.

Fuzz

Enigma
Jan 19, 2008
Universe
I feel so happy whenever I see this thread on top of the forum when I return here after being away for a while.

Argus

Spack Jazzrabbit
Feb 13, 2008
Scotland
I'm an old and jaded UT community member 8 years now and the thing I still just finally am tired of is the haters hanging on thinking that they're going to convince those of us enjoying and playing the game that we shouldn't play or like the game.

Sorry for those of you disappointed...we understand some of your criticisms...but ultimately we disagree with your final opinion. Sorry you think spending so much time photoshopping clever pictures of UT patches or sinking ships is going to convince someone that they don't really feel the way they really feel about this game (or anything else for that matter).

Really You've come up with several dozen ways to either "cleverly," obscenely, or beligerantly show us all what you think, but the time has past to let those of that would like to discuss the game constructively do so.

Sorry if you got banned for trolling at the official forums. It's a free country...it's not a free "forums" here or at Epic. Even if you weren't trolling, tough luck if you caught a mod after probably surfing through 3 dozen troll posts and ended up at yours. Hell, I've managed to be pretty rude there and even got away with calling Mark Rein some nasty names and he managed to close the thread himself without banning me.

Yes. I like the game. Yes I agree that it has some "issues" but almost none of "my" issues with the game extend to the gameplay itself...but ultimately with the .01% of the time I spend in the interface and outside the actual play time, it's not enough to keep me from the quality enjoyment I get from it. Somehow, I didn't manage to get hung up there on my way to judging the package as a whole.

That's my opinion, and I'm not trying to convince those of you not having fun or liking it that you SHOULD like or play the game. Sorry of you're a longstanding UT community member from UT99, too hanging on because of loyalty to the community...but if UT2003 didn't drive you away, it's a pretty hard to see how UT3 in any way shape or form compares to the hellish transition from UT99 to UT2Kx.
The post that I have quoted; win.

Especially that last comment. I preferred many of UT99's features to 2k3's. [There are only two things I liked better about UT2k3 than UT99. Ragdoll meshes and I preferred 2k3's robot characters.]

It's nice to know there ARE people out there who DO like this game as a whole.

A lot of you are complaining "TEH GAEMPLAY'S TOO SAMEY!!111OMGWTFBBQ" and sure, it may be a bit samey, and maybe there is a lack of mods and maps. But I'm sure it's definitely something modders for UT3 can get around. Isn't that what modders do? Make the game more fun for us? Give us a better gameplay experience than the vanilla package does? Sure, I haven't added any mods yet but I still find UT3 a very entertaining game.

I'm not trying to change anyone's minds here, but if you don't like it, and may be boycotting it.. You have no idea what you're missing.

Fuzz

Enigma
Jan 19, 2008
Universe
I really like the gameplay too. In fact I got no complaints at all. People not satisfied with how the game plays must be deliberately messing up the game just to get to dislike something openly at the forums.

Their disappointment is based in other things than the actual game.

One thing that gets old is the botmatches and even online play. It's not bad at all, it just repeat itself over and over. What I am longing for is pure single player adventure action, just as Unreal once was.

I would totally love it if some group decided to do a singleplayer campaign with missions that can be played in coop. The characters are already in the games, no conversations are needed. Enemies could be novice or average bots without respawn and they start hunting you as soon as they see you.

Still, there is nothing like playing a new good looking deathmatch map these days.

Jonathan

Mar 19, 2006
I'm just glad I have an UnrealEd that supports normal mapping and a bunch of other features. That's why I first didn't do much work in UnrealEd for UT2k4, as there was no bump mapping, etc. as it was an older game, so I was "forced" to <shudder> work with Hammer.
:D