Official BeyondUnreal Photography Thread

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

[GU]elmur_fud

I have balls of Depleted Uranium
Mar 15, 2005
Waco, Texas
mtbp.deviantart.com
Adorable kiddo. Hope you I had a good fathers day. I know I did.
I think I am getting getting a little better at this photography thing. (despite the cellphone camera). Getting a handle depth of field and macro. Still getting washout though :/
vurFkmC.jpg

_Lynx

Strategic Military Services
Staff member
Dec 5, 2003
Moscow, Russia
beyondunreal.com
I'm pretty sure even the best cellphone cameras don't have any options for aperture or shutter speed.
Aperturte's fixed on cellphones, except I guess that Samsung's Galaxy Camera, but the rest can be adjusted. Lumias had manual controls (ISO, WB, focus, exposure correction, shutter speed) for over two years, other are starting to follow suit. Heck, top Lumias can even shoot RAW.

This was shot on Lumia 1020 and processed in LR
AVt1sGZtFAE.jpg

[GU]elmur_fud

I have balls of Depleted Uranium
Mar 15, 2005
Waco, Texas
mtbp.deviantart.com
you need a real camera at some point.

I'm pretty sure even the best cellphone cameras don't have any options for aperture or shutter speed.

I do agree I need to get a real camera, but that can be cost prohibitive to a degree so It is on hiatus as most of my spare money goes to my medical bills atm.

So for the time being...
There are camera apps that give you way more control over an android phones camera. Fv-5 and OpenCamera.

gopostal

Jan 19, 2006
You have the best eye for framing a shot of anyone here, and that's by a huge margin. I'm envious that I can't see the world like that.

BillyBadAss

Strong Cock of The North
May 25, 1999
Tokyo, JP
flickr.com
You have the best eye for framing a shot of anyone here, and that's by a huge margin. I'm envious that I can't see the world like that.

Are you trying to talk me out of my panties, because that's how you talk me out of my panties.

Seriously, Thanks. It just takes practice that's all. Avoid centering your subject if you can and look at the stuff around you before taking the shot. The best thing I can suggest if you want to improve is to buy photobooks. Look at the pictures and figure out how you can recreate that shot yourself. Then go out and try and recreate some of those shots. Eventually you will move on into incorporating it into the creation of your own style.

Another thing that others don't really stress is post-processing. I see so many greatly composed shots that are just ugly as shit color wise. Light is harsh, colors are those that you get when shooting under ugly convention center florecent lighting. They are just shit all around and it ends up ruining the shot IMO. I want to link to some examples from Flickr, but the users can track where traffic is coming from, so better not do that.

Long story short; study the rule of 3rds. You don't always have to follow it, but it works most of the time.

Al

Reaper
Jun 21, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
So, I'm working at City Hall (directly behind the wall to the left) this week and I'm walking back from lunch and see this.

4vS9MBv.jpg

And here's one of a ceremonial courtroom that's used only for the swearing in of judges. The rest don't look this nice, believe me.

cZFRsVk.jpg

Hunter

BeyondUnreal Newsie
Aug 20, 2001
...Behind You...
www.unrealfans.com
Anyone tried lens for smart phones? I picked up a cheap set for my iPhone to give them ago and have been pretty impressed with the results (on my instagram). Going to try them out a little more and look at getting an olloclip possibly.

BillyBadAss

Strong Cock of The North
May 25, 1999
Tokyo, JP
flickr.com
I hadn't planned to go out and shoot the cherry blossoms this year as I felt you can only shoot them so many times before it's all the same. Then I remembered the Chidorigafuchi-Ryokudo spot. You can rent boats and go out and get close to the branches hanging out over the water and having recently really found an interest in the paintings of the Belle Époque era of Paris, I thought it might make for a neat photograph instead of a painting. I felt the scene lends itself very well to that sort of atmosphere you sense in the paintings from them. I'm pretty happy with it. It's one of my more self-satisfying photos I've taken in a while.

A Wednesday Afternoon At Chidorigafuchi-Ryokudo by Jason Combs, on Flickr