New XCOM Trailer

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Having never played an X-COM game, this...seems really strange. I know people tend to get edgy when genres cross into shooters for no other apparent reason besides "shooters are more popular now," but Fallout3 convinced me that it could be done. At least this is a game preview that focuses more on gameplay for a change instead of trying to sell gamers some blockbuster movie.

Rohit

May 29, 2008
I know people tend to get edgy when genres cross into shooters for no other apparent reason besides "shooters are more popular now," but Fallout3 convinced me that it could be done.
Kinda different. Fallout 3 was more accepted because it at least attempted to retain the art and setting of the original games, despite changing the gameplay.

Having started playing X-Com, I don't really see anything special in that area. To me, the game's emphasis is purely strategy and tactical turn-based combat.

And sheesh, if shooters really have dominated gaming, why does it have to be rubbish like BioShock and Fallout 3? That's the worst about all of this.

[NBK]Rattman

Goo God
Feb 22, 2005
nbkillas.com
I never played Xcom and probably would have hated it based on it being a turned based game....So I'm looking at it from a point of view of just looking like a different cool setting and idea

Vaginal Epiphany

Jun 11, 2010
Having never played an X-COM game, this...seems really strange. I know people tend to get edgy when genres cross into shooters for no other apparent reason besides "shooters are more popular now," but Fallout3 convinced me that it could be done. At least this is a game preview that focuses more on gameplay for a change instead of trying to sell gamers some blockbuster movie.

I can't imagine a shooter that would approach the level of depth the original X-Com had. Having played all official X-Com titles, I have a feeling that this is going to be a giant failure. Fallout 3 convinced me that it's only to be expected.

[NBK]Rattman;2444306 said:
I never played Xcom and probably would have hated it based on it being a turned based game....
That's what I thought at first, but the original X-Com game is well worth trying out. It takes time to get used to (and it's difficult as hell), but the gameplay is more than rewarding.

Last edited:

Rohit

May 29, 2008
I'd say that it's games like Fallout3 and Bioshock that are the odd men out in a genre that's been taken over by the realistic war-theme shooters, but meh.
That's why they're popular.

It doesn't matter that Fallout 3's writing, environments, and shooting are terrible, because you can walk around a post-apocalyptic wasteland and blow people's heads apart in slow motion. With a teddy bear.

It doesn't matter that BioShock's enemy variety, minigames, and shooting are crap, because YOU CAN CHOOSE TO KILL OR SAVE THE LITTLE GIRLS. Art, man.

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
The big difference between BioShock and Fallout 3 is that I found the latter really fun gameplay-wise. <3 FO3 and that even when I loved the second one. BioShock instead, I should have rented that.

Unknown Target

Jan 22, 2008
You know what's funny/sad though? Because it's a shooter, it's probably gonna sell millions. All everyone's complaining will be for naught, because they're targeting this to a wider audience and aren't really concerned with what people who played the old games think.
The trailer looks nice, cinematic, and action packed. That's all most people care about. Still, TURN DOWN THE ****ING BLOOM. God I'm tired of that over-bloomed UE3 look.

Last edited:

tomcat ha

Feb 2, 2002
Visit site
I'd say that it's games like Fallout3 and Bioshock that are the odd men out in a genre that's been taken over by the realistic war-theme shooters, but meh.

realistic war-theme shooters? What are you talking about the only realism in games that has gone up is gfx related. Games havent gotten more realistic on average since CoD discovered "aiming down the sights" and even then that wasnt that usefull. Realistic tactical games are not really doing well at all, there is just arma, the new RO and ground branch if that ever gets released. Gone are the days of rainbow six and ghost recon and many more.

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
Ah ... so it's aliens that are invading the USA again, like when they tried and failed in the 50's ;)

// ---
Fallout managed to make the jump because it still was about exploring a strange post-apocalyptic setting.
If this Xcom game manages to capture the core elements of the previous games ('real' aliens, research, strategy) then it will be a good Xcom game instead of just another fps (which appears to be the direction it is heading into).

realistic war-theme shooters? What are you talking about the only realism in games that has gone up is gfx related. Games havent gotten more realistic on average since CoD discovered "aiming down the sights" and even then that wasnt that usefull. Realistic tactical games are not really doing well at all, there is just arma, the new RO and ground branch if that ever gets released. Gone are the days of rainbow six and ghost recon and many more.

Perhaps I should have used quotations over "realistic" to imply the genre, not that they are anywhere near realisitc. I didn't mean to imply that this is what I thought they really were. More like, games like CoD and that stuff is what I mean, although I'd extend this to games like GoW...where they may not be FPS but the same aspects of this "realistic" combat crop up. Basically it's a gimmick, and it includes anything where the environments replicate thirdworld urban settings or snapshots from warzones to the finest detail...but you can still duck under a wall and wait for your wounds to heal.

I miss Rainbow Six too.

[NBK]Rattman

Goo God
Feb 22, 2005
nbkillas.com
I can't imagine a shooter that would approach the level of depth the original X-Com had. Having played all official X-Com titles, I have a feeling that this is going to be a giant failure. Fallout 3 convinced me that it's only to be expected.

That's what I thought at first, but the original X-Com game is well worth trying out. It takes time to get used to (and it's difficult as hell), but the gameplay is more than rewarding.

NO I would hate it...I have no doubt...I don't like very many genres of games...I love shooters and action though