Minigun vs Linkgun

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
Because the irony here is, in 2k4, hardly anyone linked up. Now it's automatic, but a drastically shortened range.

It's a little ironic, but could be more typical of "we haven't figured out how to make use of it yet."

I mean, how long before people just started effectively using the chain?

The thing is people rarely ever stay that close for long.

...but you gain the advantage of always focusing on the target, and not alternating between your teammate and the target.

The best way I found to link in 2kx is to surround the target and cross link, because even the beam linking the two teammates did damage, so you had to orient yourselves around the target, and you could potentially do 3x damage with 2 guys. The trick was don't aim for each other, because the lock will do that for you, get on either side, and simply both aim for the enemy, and wait for accidental links. Worked really well. Even if you didn't get the link, you had twice the chance of lockdown, so the guy couldn't move.

I imagine, it's similar to that now, accept, instead of surrounding him, you gotta group up a bit. Move naturally, don't sweat the link, but stay in the same vicinity, and if the link happens, you melt them all that much faster. If it doesn't, you still have 2 guys locking him down, and 2 link guns doing damage.

Just a thought, I'm getting anxious to grab my roommate, and go try to run a train, see how effective it is.

TheIronKnuckle

What the hell is this "ballin" thing?
OK, here's another idea. Make a hybrid between the 2k4 link method and the ut3 link method.

To initiate a link one must fire the beam at a team mate, just like in ut2k4. The moment the beam connects no further monitoring is required, just like UT3. (UT3 has it so that you just stand there, no need to worry about where the link is or anything. This works fine in my book).
The two players remain linked, and BOTH players retain the ability to fire, just like in UT3.

So essentially, the way you would link would be copy-pasted from ut2004. But everything else would be copy-pasted from UT3. (IE the fact that both players can still fire and the fact that no one needs to keep an eye on the actual link.)

An addition to this would be that the further the players are from each other, the less the link actually powers them up. So, if you are standing right next to a team-mate and you link up, the damage multiplyer would bring on 2 times the normal amount of pain from both guns. If you do some simple maths: The players are both linked up, standing right next to each other and firing at the same enemy. Seeing as both of the weapons are doing X2 damage to the same target the resulting damage dealt to the enemy would come in at four times the normal amount of damage.

So thats great and all, but lets say that the two players are standing a fair distance away from each other when they link up. Because they are standing a fair distance from each other the damage multiplyer won't be as good. Lets say that each gun receives a damage increase of 1.2 times the normal amount of damage dealt. This is still a nice advantage, but no where near the advantage the guns would get if the players were standing right next to each other.

In short, the damage bonus is determined by how close a player is standing to another player while linking. This would seriously encourage team work. In fact, it would encourage more teamwork then the ut2004 link or the UT3 link.
The automatic link could be broken by collision with BSP, or soemone switching to another weapon.

WaitForTheRain

Feb 26, 2008
UK
^ How would that method work in terms of ammo though, because in UT2004 you used up your ammo twice as fast, and it would seem a bit odd having two players using up all their ammo so quickly. The idea in 2004 was that you could do more damage because the person linking to you would give you their ammo when you fired wasn't it?

Evill_Bob

Cheese Hopping Rocket Spammer
Dec 19, 2005
In your computer, duh.
I want all miniguns and duel wielding UT2k4 link guns. :lol:

But seriously, the UT3's primary fire for the Stinger is the best in my opinion. Secondary should be that of UC2's leaving the Link Gun to take back the role the Stinger took from it (I smell a mod here:p). And while I don't think the Link Guns new look is ugly it does look more like a shock rifle but then again they already got a decent Shock Rifle (not my favorite again but hey... I never liked the Shock Rifle). I loved the UT2k3 look, the UT2k4 look was pretty cool but it did look like it needed duel wielded, and the UT99 Link Gun... well... looked pretty awesome. So if anything they should have went with UT99 or UT2k3 look.

As far as the Minigun I see it as a completely different weapon and should be treated as such. The Minigun for UT99 was the best yet. As much as I loved UT2k4 over UT99 I have to admit that the Minigun was much better back then.

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
You didn't spend twice YOUR ammo linking, you spent your ammo and the linkers ammo, and only when the linkee was shooting, if I recall correctly. Establishing a link cost nothing.

TheIronKnuckle

^ How would that method work in terms of ammo though, because in UT2004 you used up your ammo twice as fast, and it would seem a bit odd having two players using up all their ammo so quickly. The idea in 2004 was that you could do more damage because the person linking to you would give you their ammo when you fired wasn't it?
I think i found the answer
You didn't spend twice YOUR ammo linking, you spent your ammo and the linkers ammo, and only when the linkee was shooting, if I recall correctly. Establishing a link cost nothing.

Last edited:

Gnam

Feb 13, 2002
Yes, please.
i was thinking that. I say just make the stingers alt fire shotgun style just like in unreal and how the flak cannon does it. However make it a hitscan shotgun. Make the reload time REALLY long and make it stronger then the flak cannon.
Essentially you don't want to miss with this gun because it takes too long to reload, but it will be worth it because it is the strongest gun in the game. You would also be discouraged from using it from too far away: despite being a hitcan fire mode, it has an incredible spread, and it's highly unlikely that you would land every projectile on one enemy.
Agreed, this would be sort of a super shotgun configuration which could work quite well. Hitscan shotguns generally have a longer reload time than UT's projectile Flak, which makes sense since flak is harder to use (you have to lead) it needs a faster refire rate to compensate.

Shotgun fire mode? Flak Cannon anyone? ;)
There is some overlap between all firemodes. Bio, flak bombs, and grenades are all nearly identical except for what happens when they hit a surface. Link Primary and Sniper are almost the same except one activates shock combos and the other headshots. Rockets and flak bombs themselves are very similar except on arcs. Link projectiles, Stinger projectiles, and Ripper projectiles have always been very similar except for the ricochet and headshot of the ripper.

All in all nearly every type of attack has been repeated at least once besides the shotgun attack, I don't know what makes you think that the shotgun type should be exempt from duplication, particularly when it actually offers the least redundant option.

Stinger is fine as it is (except the primary fire spinup makes it more spammy and less effective at its intended purpose of a finishing weapon).

Yeah, but without the spinup, it would be too easy to use, particularly as a finishing weapon. As it is, there is a nice balance between finishing options and if you want the easiest one (minigun) you need a second to wind up. Otherwise just use the enforcer, shock primary, or some high-volume projectile attack. Were the windup not there, people would be crying "n00b weapon" just as people do with the Q3 machinegun, even in CPMA where it's nerfed. The windup is also really not that long compared to weapons like the Q2 chaingun. It still gets at least as many bullets out during the windup as the enforcer alt fire without the huge accuracy and delay penalties.

The projectiles on both weapons are generally not worth using, so I don't really care that they are similar. The weapons are differentiated enough by their hitscan firemodes that it doesn't matter.
Sounds like someone doesn't know how to lead.

The homing shards were cool too. Good enough to squeeze in a bit of damage into an unsuspecting target with auto-aim but crappy enough so someone who saw them coming could evade them. Not to mention reject them. If you had no target selected they followed your crosshairs which enabled some mean manouvers too.

I think Epic simply were afraid of putting homing shards in the pc version because everyone would be screaming "consolization".
Come one, you know you would!
So instead they went with the "skilly" version and made them pin-point accurate straight firing. A bit boring if you ask me, but still miles ahead of the lame miniguns in UT99 and UT200x.

Why they didn't keep the overheating is beyond me.

Personally I thought the homing alt fire was really lame. Someone spilled Halo in my UT! Design wise, weapon in competitive FPS should always have power in proportion to the skill it takes to use them, and homing minimizes the skill ti takes to use a weapon, which means it either has to be so weak that it's useless, or it will be overpowered and promote skilllessness. You can balance it, but is it really worth it just for the novelty of a homing weapon? Not really imo.

To differenciate the weapons in UT3 further I think it would be cool if the stinger shards locked on to people slightly and followed your crosshairs. Following crosshairs as alt-fire and locking on to people as prim-fire plus alt-fire. That way it wouldn't overlap with the link-gun alt-fire.

This isn't a bad idea, as it's essentially just achieving the same purpose as increasing the contact area of the projectile (shock cores and link projectiles generally are physically larger and catch people more easily than, say, bullets or beams) which makes the weapon more effective at area denial and supression.

Someone posted they are different enough and that they are used for different purposes already:
Yes, they ARE different. As different as an uzi and a kalashnikov in most other games, but that's not different enough for Unreal, imo.

I strongly agree. There at least be a stronger difference in the speed/damage ratios if nothing else. Right now the link primary is like 20% faster and 20% weaker than the stinger alt, and it should be at least 50-100%.

No replies from the OP... heh

Yeah sorry about that, I meant to reply sooner but got sidetracked. I actually started a reply 1-2 days after the OP, wrote a few paragraphs, got interrupted and saved it in a text file, then accidentally deleted it later. Then I didn't really feel like coming back to the thread and rewriting everything so I procrastinated my return.

In any case, I agree that there are minor differences and uses to each of the present modes, I just think they could be stronger. Since I generally like the projectile attacks better than hitscan, I don't really mind having 2 different places to get a projectile weapon it's kind of nice actually. I do think a more unique combination of modes could be attained though.

As far as a version of the Linkgun with 2 different projectile modes, perhaps the solution is to replace the Linkgun with a variant of the Ripper. In addition or instead of varying merely in speed/damage ratio, you could vary in effects; headshot and ricochet vs splash damage, etc. Since the UT1 Ripper primary was too spammy and cheap before, the rate of fire could be slowed to something more comparable to the UC2 ripper or even the UT1 ripper alt. In exchange, the ripper alt could be sped up and weakened so it is closer in rate of fire and use to the UT3 Stinger alt..it could still have a bit of splash damage but far less (think Quake 4 Nail Gun). This would serve the dual purpose of making the ripper alt less redundant with the Rocket Launcher as it was before, AND help it serve the same purpose of the Link/Stinger projectile weapon it would be replacing.

As for the Link alt shaft, I've just never cared for it too much. Yes it's spreadless and only works at close range so it takes some skill and has a niche use, I guess I just don't care for it because it's too simple and direct. Also the *Link* idea was a good one in theory, but I don't think it works in practice and it's always seemed like some silly novelty Epic uses to say "look what we thought up" and justify a weapon that otherwise seemed limited in use to the average gamer. I also don't play many team games, so I used it even less. Sometimes I even revert to calling it the Pulse Gun cause I don't consider the link to be a very significant factor in its design.

Lastly the overheating thing on the UC2 stinger...honestly I didn't even notice it was there till it was pointed out. Then again I didn't use the Stinger that much since you could only have 2 weapons per match...choosing a full-auto hitscan weapon as half of your whole arsenal always seemed a bit cowardly to me and also unless you had Udamage it wasn't that useful since other weapons generally did more damage faster. If it had the UT3 Stinger Alt I would have used it and liked it a lot more (I actually like using the UT3 Stinger a lot, I just don't like how it makes me question the purpose of picking up the Link Gun, in other words I like it too much) and I also think it would have fit a lot better in UC2 that way.

In conclusion, the current Link Gun isn't terrible, but I would like it better if primary had, say, twice the travel speed of the Stinger alt, and half the damage, instead of the current minor 20%-30% difference in speed and damage. This would also work out better since the shaft's limited range means the projectile is the Link's long range mode, whereas normally projectiles are specialized for close range, so faster projectiles would certainly help it.

Last edited:

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
Now it sounds more like just your preference.

I much prefer projectile attacks as well, they feel more rewarding and more skillful. I like UT3's implementation of most weapons though, because is seems the balance is better to that same ideology. Like, how they decreased the damage of the shaft. It's not as devastating as before, but still retains it's useful lock-down feature, and it's limited range in exchange for it's immaculate accuracy. Effective, but not over powered.

The beauty of it is that since it doesn't do crazy damage, you actually need to hit someone with it quite a bit to kill, making the frag more satisfying. To do that though, you really need to try and learn when to use it, as well as how (which is easy to do on paper, and only slightly harder to implement live). Then it becomes satisfying, and you don't end up using the same 2 guns all day. So many kills I get with rockets and shock, I love the opportunity to use it just to diversify my kills a bit.

TheIronKnuckle

Ahh i forgot about the fact that the link is useless in non-team games! rofl. A damage increase by default should be introduced in those cases.

I like the idea of combining the ripper with the link gun! What if the link beam stayed the same but Instead of green balls of energy for primary fire, it could be green, razor-sharp disks of energy. They would bounce around just like the rippers disks. But they would be plasma disks to keep the weapon consistant: You can't get a razor-sharp plate of steel out of a batery!

Gnam

Feb 13, 2002
Yes, please.
I actually started to grow a liking to the Link alt. It's lame as a main attack, but if you soft the enemy with 2-3 primary bolts and then they jump around the corner before they receive the killing blow, the beam is the perfect way to finish the job. So yeah, they've grown on me and now I think they have just enough of a difference for me to not mind them so much.

I still would have liked to see a few more classic Unreal weapons though, like a rebalanced Ripper (it was done quite well in UC2) and the Grenade Launcher from UC2 (that thing was perfect). Obviously, weapons like this do run risk of redundancy, but I think the diversity of weapons is really what makes UT what it is, I think they're worthwhile to have. Map-design-wise, just don't flood maps with all the weapons if they don't all fit. Sub out a linkgun for a ripper once in a while, or a biorifle for a grenade launcher. Since so many maps already have 2 biorifles, replacing one with a GL would do just fine.