Minigun vs Linkgun

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

The_Head

JB Mapper
Jul 3, 2004
UK
www.unrealized-potential.com
I just want the Unreal 1 mini design back-Differenciates itself from all other minigun designs.
This would be nice.
Wish they made the UT3 one like it, rather than looking like a minigun.

lol, I actually am fine with the stinger and link guns as they are tbh.
I was just going with the spirit of the thread and proposing an alternative that might work. I demand an explanation! :B
At least some sort of argument to support your two letter answer.
It would suck! It would be stealing the flakcannons main roll of owning anything at short range, there is no need to have something that does more damage than a flak at short range. Plus the slow reload would be boring :p

Fuzz

Enigma
Jan 19, 2008
Universe
The Stinger Minigun alt-fire is quite good, but it's a lot like the Link Gun fire.

The Shock Rifle fire is also very much like the Enforcer fire and the Sniper Rifle fire.

I still miss the Ripper. It's not Unreal if there ain't no weapon like the Razor Jack in it.

Either way, all in all, the game offers a variety of different weapons and I like it the way it is.

Bishop F Gantry

Aug 18, 2004
This would be nice.
Wish they made the UT3 one like it, rather than looking like a minigun.

It would suck! It would be stealing the flakcannons main roll of owning anything at short range, there is no need to have something that does more damage than a flak at short range. Plus the slow reload would be boring :p

UT3 Stinger is ugly as sin, same goes for the Link gun, wherever did they come up with the concept of those guns...?

link guns for repairing vehicles and primary fire is for suppressing a corridor, a shame you cant link up anymore, Stinger primary is to nail hoverboarders and flag carriers while alt fire is to soften up campers...

atleast to me

Lethargy

Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra
Feb 24, 2006
from the perspective of dm:

the hitscan modes (link alt and stinger primary) are very different, link alt has lockdown and limited range while stinger has spread and no lockdown. Useful in entirely different situations.

The projectiles on both weapons are generally not worth using, so I don't really care that they are similar. The weapons are differentiated enough by their hitscan firemodes that it doesn't matter.

Miko

Miko No Pants
Jul 2, 2004
Flopping in bed
Didn't the UC2 stinger have some overheating mechanism which improved the gun? Why not just keep that in? (I never actually played UC2, so if there were any glaring flaws with that mechanic feel free to tell me.)

The UC2 stinger increased fireing rate and damage as the gun temperature increased and changed the color of the shots from blue to more of a pink in hitscan primary fire but as the gun overheated the ammo cost per shot also went up. The stinger was one of the harder weapons to reflect but it was nasty to get hit by if it was reflected multiple times.

xMurphyx

Jun 2, 2008
liandri.darkbb.com
Miko is right.

In my opinion the UC2 stinger is the coolest mini-gun/stinger weapon in any Unreal game up to now. When I read it's going to overheat if you use it for too long I thought to myself, please don't. Not in an Unreal game. Then I read on and learned that it only gets better the more it over-heats. How badass is that? When in other games you have to let your weapon cool down when it overheats, in UC2 that's the point where you start to rock with it. :D Just the concept has badass written all over it.

The homing shards were cool too. Good enough to squeeze in a bit of damage into an unsuspecting target with auto-aim but crappy enough so someone who saw them coming could evade them. Not to mention reject them. If you had no target selected they followed your crosshairs which enabled some mean manouvers too.

I think Epic simply were afraid of putting homing shards in the pc version because everyone would be screaming "consolization".
Come one, you know you would!
So instead they went with the "skilly" version and made them pin-point accurate straight firing. A bit boring if you ask me, but still miles ahead of the lame miniguns in UT99 and UT200x.

Why they didn't keep the overheating is beyond me.

The Unreal 1 stinger was cool too but I think it's altfire is now the domain of the flak cannon and it should stay that way.

To differenciate the weapons in UT3 further I think it would be cool if the stinger shards locked on to people slightly and followed your crosshairs. Following crosshairs as alt-fire and locking on to people as prim-fire plus alt-fire. That way it wouldn't overlap with the link-gun alt-fire.

Someone posted they are different enough and that they are used for different purposes already:
Yes, they ARE different. As different as an uzi and a kalashnikov in most other games, but that's not different enough for Unreal, imo.

The link primary and the stinger primary overlap a bit too but the link-gun already has this unique function that it can be used to link with other people's link-guns and to heal friendly vehicles, so I think that's alright.

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
Well if there wasnt auto locking if they always followed the crosshairs even if youre aiming in the wrong direction... I see that working and still being "skilly" :)

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
I think what he means is that linking is too difficult to pull off since you basically have to stand still next to each other, at which point you're both so vulnerable you might as well not bother.

Doing long-distance chains a la UT2004 was the only good thing about the gun. D:

Defeat

GET EM WITH THE BACKSMACK WOOOOO
Apr 2, 2005
Illinois
www.google.com
I think what he means is that linking is too difficult to pull off since you basically have to stand still next to each other, at which point you're both so vulnerable you might as well not bother.

Doing long-distance chains a la UT2004 was the only good thing about the gun. D:

Indeed :[

Lethargy

Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra
Feb 24, 2006
With the increased effectiveness of rockets, it does seem like a nerfing change, but I haven't really gotten a chance to play with it much yet.

keeping that close to someone while actually moving around and avoiding fire is impossible.

ne_skaju

lost and found
Jan 21, 2008
Izvarino
Bad thing about minigun, unique though, is that primary fire very easy to use and very hard to avoid. So possible fixind would be:

bad anti-armor characteristics: if enemy has some armor, make much less damage to it;
decrease damage at long distances; limit firing range;
affect shards by gravity.

Enforcer would still damage armor normally, so that would add diversity to tactics:

if you see enemy with armor, use enforcer against him and then stinger to finish. Also that would make armor much more valuable (even helmet)

For link gun primary fire: increased damage to armor, maybe?

Bishop F Gantry

Aug 18, 2004
Are we playing different games? I can still link up in ut3. It just works differently now.

Have you tried linking up with someone moving or while enemies are shooting back?

If you mean by "works diffrently" as in impractical on the verge of useless. id reckon your correct...

UT3 link gun is pretty much fudged up, it just became a generic weapon again, why throw away a good nische for the weapon like linking up by making that useless. theres no other gun that had such a teamwork oriented theme going for it...

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
Have you tried linking up with someone moving or while enemies are shooting back?

If you mean by "works diffrently" as in impractical on the verge of useless. id reckon your correct...

UT3 link gun is pretty much fudged up, it just became a generic weapon again, why throw away a good nische for the weapon like linking up by making that useless. theres no other gun that had such a teamwork oriented theme going for it...
Because the irony here is, in 2k4, hardly anyone linked up. Now it's automatic, but a drastically shortened range.