Mechs?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
I was thinking, there is going to be a total of 18 vehicles, 9 Axon and 9 Necris. And out of all of those, there is bound to be some new incarnations... maybe mechs? I think it would be a welcome addition. and could potentially offer up some fun moments. discuss..

T

Tournament0

My guess is that they will probably add new characters, or it might get boring. :hmm:
I don't understand why they have taken out lots of characters, they would have looked good on the Unreal Engine 3.
They will probably add new characters, or release it in some other form.

Tournament0 said:
My guess is that they will probably add new characters, or it might get boring. :hmm:
I don't understand why they have taken out lots of characters, they would have looked good on the Unreal Engine 3.
They will probably add new characters, or release it in some other form.

????

this has absolutely nothing to do with the topic. :con:

and how could they be copywrited? they are in tons of games.

*sigh*

Selerox

COR AD COR LOQVITVR
Nov 12, 1999
TheUKofGBandNI
selerox.deviantart.com
BIG DEF!

edhe said:
Copyright? :)

Well, the term "mech" might be a BattleTech thing, but the concept of bipedal tanks (with/without arms) isn't really a new or unusual thing. BattleTech has them, Star Wars has them (ATST), WH40K has dreadnoughts and also had mech-style combat robots back in the day (you could even stretch it to Titans as well), and there are loads of other examples.

As for UT200x mechs, I remember the Systemic mod which was pretty fun, but the mechs were slow as hell (balancing thing, because it was them vs players on foot). I think there was a mod Shai'tan worked on that had mechs, but I dunno what happened to that.

Having mechs would be very fun, but they'd need to be balanced against infantry and vehicles, which would take some work. You can't make them too slow or they'd be cannon fodder and you can't make them too nimble or they'd be too powerful (and a bigtime infantry stomper). Same goes for firepower, go for anti-infantry or anti-vehicle or both? You could have both (using primary and secondary fire maybe) but that might make it too powerful again.

How about making mech suits that have dual miniguns but are light enough to move around a little slower than infantry? It could also be very open and unshielded so that the pilot could be easily enough be killed and it could also be susceptible to being run over by a manta.

The_Head

JB Mapper
Jul 3, 2004
UK
www.unrealized-potential.com
I would love to see Mechs in this game. Especially if they looked half as cool as the Mechs in the Matrix *drools*
Balancing them ingame would be tricky though. You could perhaps give them limited Ammo unlike normal vehicles but no ammo pickups so you could only use them for a certain period of time. Or give them a short 'battery' life and have to recharge them with Linkgun maybe?
Or perhaps just keep them seperate from other vehicles like with the space fighters in AS-Mothership

JonAzz

UA Mapper
Aug 1, 2003
North of Philadelphia
they need he mechs from matrix, those would be soooooooooo cool! and to think those arent that powerful, they're slow and the cockpit is open. but the firepower on em is awsome! :D

shadow_dragon

is ironing his panties!
Mechs are hard because mostly you need variety to balance them. Heavy/slow mechs, light/weak mechs, medium/average hitting mechs, etc.
However the environment of UT already has a bunch of balanced vehicles so how can a mech fit in. If it's fast + powerfull it'll have all the advantages of your normal fps mode but with more shield. If it's slow + powerful it'll be like playing a slow human that has powerfull weapons but can't even keep up with tanks? So it'd be useless.

I'd say go with the powerfull hard hitting frame, immensely slow movement but can be transported by the other vehicles. Say the Orca or a bomber ship that can airlift it and drop it into a battle zone. The drop and pickup procedure would ofcourse make both vehicles vulnerable to balance the added mobility of the heavy hitting mech and while it's carrying the mech the ship flies slower + not as high. This way the mech is never likely to be the first one in a battle zone but niether will it take him days to get anywhere.

I'm not sure but that's the first concept for a mech that i could see working well + being balanced? Could be wrong though, wild speculation is never reliable after all.

shadow_dragon said:
Mechs are hard because mostly you need variety to balance them. Heavy/slow mechs, light/weak mechs, medium/average hitting mechs, etc.
However the environment of UT already has a bunch of balanced vehicles so how can a mech fit in. If it's fast + powerfull it'll have all the advantages of your normal fps mode but with more shield. If it's slow + powerful it'll be like playing a slow human that has powerfull weapons but can't even keep up with tanks? So it'd be useless.

I'd say go with the powerfull hard hitting frame, immensely slow movement but can be transported by the other vehicles. Say the Orca or a bomber ship that can airlift it and drop it into a battle zone. The drop and pickup procedure would ofcourse make both vehicles vulnerable to balance the added mobility of the heavy hitting mech and while it's carrying the mech the ship flies slower + not as high. This way the mech is never likely to be the first one in a battle zone but niether will it take him days to get anywhere.

I'm not sure but that's the first concept for a mech that i could see working well + being balanced? Could be wrong though, wild speculation is never reliable after all.

I actually really like this idea. It would be either good for defense, or as you said, drop this bad boy in the middle of a huge fire-fight and let it goto town.

NiteX

Unreal Junky
Feb 11, 2004
La
Mechs in UT is a bad idea. They wouldn't really fit in ONS or CON at all. Unless there is a MechWarrior map.

Enji

Shooter
Apr 12, 2005
well maybe if they ere like Walkers from Star Wars (the biped model), it was reasonable quick, could fire a powerful beam, but not automatic pace, and you could give it the hp of a Manta so its not worthless, yet doesn't pwn everything on the map. Or even perhaps it would be more of an antivehicle weapon and not so effective against infantry.

The_Head

JB Mapper
Jul 3, 2004
UK
www.unrealized-potential.com
Enji said:
well maybe if they ere like Walkers from Star Wars (the biped model), it was reasonable quick, could fire a powerful beam, but not automatic pace, and you could give it the hp of a Manta so its not worthless, yet doesn't pwn everything on the map. Or even perhaps it would be more of an antivehicle weapon and not so effective against infantry.

Sounds good.

I still reckon something similar looks and size to the Mechs on the Matrix. But will lasers like the turrets. Around about 400 life. Then you have a good anti vehicle vehicle to compete with Hellbenders and Scorpions.
Personally If its not possible to balance alongside other vehicles replace the other vehicles. A Mech is far cooler than a damn scorpion.....

carmatic

Jan 31, 2004
hm i thought that the ons turrents looked abit like mechs... maybe if you gave them proper legs and they'd start walking around, it'd be perfect

but , like, on infantry, they are small and their animations dont matter... and on vehicles, they are simple to model using physics code... but for mechs, youd be seeing their feet clip through terrain most of the time, or hanging in mid air.... i hope the physics is up for this, not just for calculating dead ragdolls, but a fully living player controlled one...

Enji

Shooter
Apr 12, 2005
I would still think mechs would be better suited as an antivehiclar weapon especially the Goliath and the Leviathan, because its just so hard to take out those two with just Avrails or Raptors