Mark Rein On The Pervasiveness of UT3 Piracy

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
It's sad that the loyalty both ways is so rare. If the player/purchaser loyalty is to be returned in proportion from the game developers, I'm betting there won't be any PC games in another 3-5 years at best.

Chase down them all mighty dolla's boys! Even the ones that don't exist!

If someone's trying to pirate a game it's because they have no intention of buying it. Never did, never will. Process that feeling, quit making excuses and work on anti-cheat mechanisms that don't punish people for actually buying the game. and quit outsourcing all anti cheat responsibilities. It's obviously not working, so stop doing it.

Also, try to remember that us gamers actually do have brains. We've been noticing a trend you see.

Creativity and innovation took a back seat to buzz words and dollars a while ago. Try going back to actually impressing us, instead of upselling us. Maybe if the feeling of being a living cash farm weren't so strong, the number of disloyal hackers would go back down to some tolerable levels eh?

I mean seriously, you can only throw so much into a game engine that is purposely meant to make us buy more hardware before we realize that a game is just a tech demo, and a digital shady salesman. When is the last time a game came out that was built on a dependable, proven engine, that actually showed some innovation and brains were used in it's development?

I know, I know, it is a pain in the arse to develop for the Pc market. It's almost gotten to the point where if you're not playing the game on the same hardware it was developed on, it just won't run.

Hmm, now that I think of it.. maybe there's too many hardware developers?

/sigh

Alhanalem

Teammember on UT3JB Bangaa Bishop
Feb 21, 2002
Ivalice
Why should someone "pirate" a game, if it doesn't run on his/her PC?
Because people will often pirate games that appear to have steep requirements because tehy don't know if it will run on their computer- They want to try it, but they dont want to spend $50, install it, find out it doesnt work at all, and then not be able to return it because they opened the box.

Mad Max RW

Road Warrior
Nov 13, 2003
www.duckandcover.net
It's sad that the loyalty both ways is so rare. If the player/purchaser loyalty is to be returned in proportion from the game developers, I'm betting there won't be any PC games in another 3-5 years at best.

People have been saying that for years. As long as computers exist there will be games on them. As long as fancy super expensive graphics cards exist there will be huge developer houses signing multi million dollar exclusive deals. Nothing has changed and we'll continue this cycle of purging pc developers getting too big for their britches.

If anything, there's more PC games now and in the future than ever in the past. It's so easy to make stuff as long as it isn't cutting edge. Leave that to Epic and id software to screw up. Smaller indie devs have always been the backbone of PC gaming. In recent years those are the ones I put the most time in.

SuperDre

May 6, 2002
Helmond.nl
www.superteam.tk
Because people will often pirate games that appear to have steep requirements because tehy don't know if it will run on their computer- They want to try it, but they dont want to spend $50, install it, find out it doesnt work at all, and then not be able to return it because they opened the box.

For most PC games that is ofcourse utter bull, since there are enough demo's of the games to test if your rig is good enough.. Excuses, excuses, that's all they are...

Jonathan

Mar 19, 2006
You can't pirate games on the PS3, only the 360 and Wii. Who knows what the future will change, though.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Funny how you idiots keep churning out ridiculous commentary about nothing. Mark only responded to a question in an interview. He never stated in the interview that Epic lost billions of dollars due to pirating; the author of the article speculated the loss. I find it all rather amusing how some of you take every opportunity to bash UT3 and Epic. Actually, there is nothing amusing about you guys at all. You're pathetic.

I was going to agree with you until you got to this:

Hal? How could you post such a title for this thread? Didn't you realize what kind of garbage you would attract?

What's wrong with the title of this thread? It accurately portrays Mark's comments... perhaps more accurately than the original article. We post the news but aren't responsible for the content of the commentary that follows.

RoadKillGrill

Got Lead?
Dec 11, 2004
rahkogen.net
That seems very far fetched on piracy, just for fun I looked for copies of UT3 on ***** there are two copies on demonoid totaling 199 dls. Whats funny is that the demo trackers on ***** tracked 17000 dls. ***** had more but still was rather low number on pirating since ***** doent post dls ill base on seeder/leacher count ~790.

Lets compare to cod4, On ****there are 11 trackers totaling 5895 dls. TPB, just one tracker for that has more people than all the ut3 ones combined at 681 seeders and 946 leachers. The quick total i get is ~4356 active seeders/leachers.

One UT2004 tracker on ***** shows 53078 dls and has more seeders and leachers now than the UT3 torrents.:lol:

Overall UT3 doesn't even look like a successful pirated game either.

Last edited by a moderator:

os][ris

May 10, 2006
Solving piracy really isn't that hard. I just think there hasn't been enough thought put into it.

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
cannibals?

pirates2.jpg

«BuA»Lurker_71

Thë Möñkëÿ Kïñg
Dec 15, 2002
Wha?
Funny how you idiots keep churning out ridiculous commentary about nothing. Mark only responded to a question in an interview. He never stated in the interview that Epic lost billions of dollars due to pirating; the author of the article speculated the loss. I find it all rather amusing how some of you take every opportunity to bash UT3 and Epic. Actually, there is nothing amusing about you guys at all. You're pathetic.

Hal? How could you post such a title for this thread? Didn't you realize what kind of garbage you would attract?

Just some questions for the idiots:

Ahh... proof that the ugliness of hate breeds on both sides.
Damn shame that you still don't get the point of posting such hate is moot, because hate breeds hate, and the point gets lost in translation.
There is fault on both sides here, what gets done to fix the issues should be what matters, not who's right and who's wrong.

RoadKillGrill

Got Lead?
Dec 11, 2004
rahkogen.net
os][ris;2125761 said:
Solving piracy really isn't that hard. I just think there hasn't been enough thought put into it.

O believe me there's been allot of thought put into anti piracy, however the solution is nearly impossible without allot of aggravation of the consumers. The only two solutions that have any potential I see is online distributions (steam) and USB encrypted key fobs, neither solution is foolproof.

How about you post your solutions to this issue, it "really isn't that hard".

On a related note http://utforums.epicgames.com/showpost.php?p=25370107&postcount=4
Mark Rein said:
Actually I have no idea where the 40 million number came from. I certainly don't recall saying it.

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I would use Stem for every game if it would make them shut the freak up about piracy.

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
The only two solutions that have any potential I see is online distributions (steam) and USB encrypted key fobs, neither solution is foolproof.

Wow, usb keys hey! Thats actually a rather clever idea, thatd give people somewhere to store their patches and mods for easy access :)

UnrealGrrl

Enemy flag carrier is Her!
Jun 16, 2000
www.unrealgrrl.com
LMFAO at anyone who thinks for even ONE second that 40 million ATTEMPTS = 40 million customers, its the same bs logic that the recording inductry tries to push over on the mindless masses and govt officials... yes i bet UT3 got pirated alot, so does every other game that has a popular following. but those attempts i would be willing to bet were not from 40 million different ip addresses :)

Alhanalem

Teammember on UT3JB Bangaa Bishop
Feb 21, 2002
Ivalice
I think one of the big problems for epic is they cater to what is probably the most likely sector of gamers to pirate. I mean seriously, how much piracy do people talk about for games like jewel quest or 5000 GAMES MEGA PACK! or the like? Those games are cheaper and the audience is really old or really young people or the type of people who spend most of their time with flash games and chat rooms, people less likely to know how or attempt to pirate.

Crotale

_________________________ _______________
Jan 20, 2008
Anywhere But Here
I was going to agree with you until you got to this:

What's wrong with the title of this thread? It accurately portrays Mark's comments... perhaps more accurately than the original article. We post the news but aren't responsible for the content of the commentary that follows.
I didn't mean that YOU were a pathetic idiot. But, still, the thread title could have been a bit less ostentatious, in my opinion, or maybe a bit less direct. Oh well, you're probably going to say that either way, the bashers will find a reason to bash. And you would be 100% correct.

Ahh... proof that the ugliness of hate breeds on both sides.
Damn shame that you still don't get the point of posting such hate is moot, because hate breeds hate, and the point gets lost in translation.
There is fault on both sides here, what gets done to fix the issues should be what matters, not who's right and who's wrong.
Yes, it's true, I'm now part of the problem. And I do get the point, but I do have the right to speak my mind just as long as I don't get overly personal about it (against another poster of course). At this point, I'm not alone in that a very sizable numbero f members here and on other UT3 fansites are sick and tired of all the UT3/Epic hate. Does one side have the right to speak up but the other should keep it zipped just to show they are better than the former group? Either way it goes, nothing positive gets accomplished.

One would hope that if Mark did in fact make the statement that he has the facts to back it up. The most likely event was that he got asked the question in passing at the conference.

I think one of the big problems for epic is they cater to what is probably the most likely sector of gamers to pirate. I mean seriously, how much piracy do people talk about for games like jewel quest or 5000 GAMES MEGA PACK! or the like? Those games are cheaper and the audience is really old or really young people or the type of people who spend most of their time with flash games and chat rooms, people less likely to know how or attempt to pirate.
While you are probably correct in your assertion, the same goes for most current big name games, which indicates that piracy can be and is a problem for developers/publishers, but is not the bane of the games' existence.

Apathy

The original
Apr 16, 2004
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
If there's a way to pirate past the gamespy login crap then someone pm me a link, I will buy the game, I'm just not going to deal with the gamespy login garbage being strapped permanently to being forced to use some stupid email addy for a name to play with online (ie BF2).

HudsonC

Jan 30, 2008
"In a recent discussion with TG Daily, Mark Rein declared that there were an astounding 40 million attempts at illegitimate access to Unreal Tournament 3 servers using pirated keys."

To me this seems to say that at least some piracy was thwarted. Is some other algorithim I'm not aware of that says that if we get so many illegal keys attempts that it equals # of pirate versions