Left 4 Dead

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Skold

Sexy!
Aug 10, 2000
Not sure since Steam isn't counting it correctly, but I have the achievement (got it quite a while ago, actually), so I have killed over 53,000 infected.

i can attest to plying a few games with Hal where he gets credits for my kills. Since he is never on TS he would not know this. It's more like 40,000, unless there are more poor souls that he cannot hear from and he stole their kills as well.

SlayerDragon

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLADIES
Feb 3, 2003
i can attest to plying a few games with Hal where he gets credits for my kills. Since he is never on TS he would not know this. It's more like 40,000, unless there are more poor souls that he cannot hear from and he stole their kills as well.

:mad::mad::mad::mad: POACH

ilkman

Mar 1, 2001
East coast
So.... Left 4 dead 2?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7A78z_NIq2U

Thoughts?

Setting it in day time is one thing but at least now i get to wield an axe.
Suprised it's not an expansion/patch though.

Since it's only been a year and all they're really adding is new content, I don't see why they felt the need to make a whole new game.

I can understand wanting to make money, so just make this an expansion and charge $20-$30 for it or something.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Since it's only been a year and all they're really adding is new content, I don't see why they felt the need to make a whole new game.

I can understand wanting to make money, so just make this an expansion and charge $20-$30 for it or something.

http://www.shacknews.com/featuredarticle.x?id=1138

They talk a bit about that here:

Chet Faliszek: In Team Fortress you can do one map, and it's a standalone map and it tells its internal story and you're good. In Left 4 Dead, when we started talking about new characters, all of a sudden we were talking about maps, then all of a sudden we were talking about campaign, and then director 2.0, hey, we're in the swamps.

And now we have to have new creatures in the game, we actually have dynamic pathing--we have all this stuff, and these aren't just incremental changes. These are big, technical changes. And to get that, and to hit our big mantra--making sure that the best way to play it is the funnest way to play it.

So, being Left 4 Dead 2, we have five campaigns, they're all going to have Versus and Survival mode out of the gate, as well as the regular co-op, and an all-new game mode. Not talking about that game mode yet, but it's going to be there. We also have the new Infected, like you can play the Charger right now in Versus. We have another one coming out a little later, and then another after that. We've got the melee weapons involved, we've got the chainsaw--we've got the frying pan.

Doug Lombardi: We didn't start off saying, "Hey, let's make a sequel for next year." We started off saying, "There's a bunch of really cool ideas. Let's put 'em all up on a whiteboard and figure out what's the best way to put these together and get them out there." And that's really fundamentally how Valve thinks about stuff. It's not like, "Oh, we need a product in this quarter," or whatever. We're not publicly traded; we don't have any of those weird pressures.

shoptroll

Jan 21, 2004

True, but it's not a good sign when even Gabe Newell thought it was a bad idea. Kudos to Chet for making the rounds with a lot of the medium game blogs like Ars Technica and RPS to make their case.

I'm still not totally sold on this but I honestly think it'll come down to the final feature set. Chances are people are just going to wait until the first sale where the price hits $30-35 and the whole "make it a $30 expansion" argument is thrown out.

ilkman

Mar 1, 2001
East coast
Yeah, if this is a full price $50 game I'll probably just wait for a sale.

Or maybe they'll take notice of customers feelings on the issue and just price it at $30 to start with. The absolute most I think I'd pay for it, right now, is $40.

Well, that was one of the best games I've ever played.

1hr 9min.
No Mercy - Expert
Melee with health packs only (if you are incapped, you can shoot)
Tanks got the molotiv only treatment while we ran.

Restarted 4 times only.

Funkblast, Zero, CaptToilet. I salute you sirs. That was ****ing awesome!

I actually got a headache from laughing so much. A female zombie got stuck in the door way (by the gas station) she died and fell over it. Torso hanging over it. A male zombie jumped onto the door way and started to bang on it. If you've ever seen anything as funny as a zombie humping another zombie forcefully in game, let me know. I about crapped my pants.

Last edited:

funkblast

I posted in the RO-me thread
and all I got was
a pink username!
Aug 4, 2001
California
Visit site
Well, that was one of the best games I've ever played.

1hr 9min.
No Mercy - Expert
Melee with health packs only (if you are incapped, you can shoot)
Tanks got the molotiv only treatment while we ran.

Restarted 4 times only.

Funkblast, Zero, CaptToilet. I salute you sirs. That was ****ing awesome!

Yeah. We be ballin.

Flak

I am Gamer, hear me Pwn. RAWR
May 26, 2004
It is a huge blast to smack a zombie in the face with a frying pan. Whacking them with an ax is quite enjoyable too. ;)