ladder sights on m203?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

G36

Loose Cannon
Oct 19, 2003
www.homestarrunner.com
In a thread similar to this somebody said that ACOGs can't be used when the M203 ladder sight is attached. Even though there's a mutie with 2.9 to counter ACOG 'nading it's still pretty cool that they cancel each other :D

keihaswarrior

Jan 7, 2003
Seattle
keihaswarrior.home.icq
I don't see the point about countering "acog nading". Acogs make it harder to use the m203 not easier. With the acog, the limited FOV means you usually can't see your target when you aim.

I can see some balance gripe about having a nade laucher and a scope being too powerful, but I have more success with the scope removed anyway, so I don't really see the point. ... anyway.

Overall, it would be very nice to have an actual way of rang finding to shoot grenades rather than just shooting them "by feel" everytime.

Gnam

Feb 13, 2002
Yes, please.
OK, I tried the sight adjustments, and now I get it. Thanks for the tip, Yurch.

I have this idea that there should be an extra sight adjustment with the ladder flipped down. In other words, it would basically aim like a regular gun. I don't know if this would be realistic (is there even a rear sight other than the ladder?) but it would help with sub-100m shooting. Since 40mm GLs are also used with non-lethal rounds for crowd control, and there are line-of-sight rounds like buckshot, I would guess there must be some method for shooting at closer ranges without the ladder blocking your target.

Gnam

Feb 13, 2002
Yes, please.
Sorry for the double post, but I just thought of something... Doesn't the M16A2 require that rectangular handgaurd with the big ventholes in the sides to attach an M203? Or is that just on the M16A1? It seems to me the M203 handgaurd should be modeled as well.

ecale3

Sniper - May be harmful to your health.
Jul 13, 2001
Maryland Bitch.
www.ecale25.netfirms.com
i only wanted to have the coders make a weapons replacement mutator, so no A4 at this time.

Is the A4 even being distributed yet? I did some looking around but couldn't find any info concerning this.

gal-z

May 20, 2003
Ramat-Hasharon, Israel
Visit site
Tomorrow I'm gonna get an M4A1 flattop along with a trijicon agoc 4X and an aquila litton 4X and a bipod instead of my M16A1 and take the 2-week sharpshooting course ;)
As for m203 in-game, there should really be a "change ammo" key, and have the "weapon mode" key to toggle the sights, or instead add a "toggle sights" button. Of course, you can do both ;)
For those who don't want to get used to something new, the AK for example can have both "attachment" and "switch ammo" keys to switch between drums and regular mags etc.

And yeah, having the 50-250m sight for the m203 would definately be cool. Don't forget that the flash hider blocks your view when u aim at 250 meters though ;)

spm1138

Irony Is
Aug 10, 2001
Visit site
That PDF says the maximum effective range for the leaf (flip-up) sight is 250m.

Presumably any more than that and you need to go to the quadrant sight.

I think we're only discussing adding the leaf sight.

Last edited:

[UMC]Boron

UMC's Official Drunkard
Oct 10, 2002
Minnesota, USA
Visit site
maybe this has been mentioned before somewhere else, but in regards to the 203 and the m16...if someone were to model, please for the love of all that is holy, fix the handguards for the rifle. Its the standard m16 handguards with a 203 then just attatched to the bottom of the rifle. This has bugged me for the longest time and I had kinda hoped it wouldve been fixed for 2.9, but whatever

Logan6

TC Vet
Dec 23, 2003
Yeah, stuff like that bugs me too. I was just posting in True Combats forum how some of their weapons looked a little off ( like the black enamel on the M4 :nag: ) Hmm, must have been an Armalite model :lol:

Have fired off a couple of practice rounds from an M203 on the Fort Hood firing range and believe me, that sucker can go 400 yards!

Bushwack

Avenged Sevenfold...
Jul 21, 2003
Ohio, NE
Visit site
they work more or less out to 400 yards, its not like some automobiles, where they over-imply speed by making the speedo read 140 when your POS lil 4cylinder is only capable of 80+ MPH :D
Accuracy with a grenade is measured in roundabouts not centimeters or inches, in the case of the 203/hk69/ag36, its in yards, give or take a few, you can drop the projectiles pretty close to where you want them, with practice and proper instruction. And some guys ive seen are totally uncanny with the 40mm as far as guestimating and Kentucky windage.{IRL, not ingame}

Last edited:

Logan6

TC Vet
Dec 23, 2003
Well, putting in over-under gear on the M16/M203 model sure would make it look better. And for the M203 please put in the quadrant sight. Also, a new red smoke signal grenade for the M203 would be nice (Yurch?) so you can fire one or two off to get your range fixed. Then when you get the correct range, you can bombard the enemy with a ****load of HE :)

gal-z

May 20, 2003
Ramat-Hasharon, Israel
Visit site
Maybe we can add a lazer range finder for inf :p
Anyway the leaf sights max effective range is 200m with M16A1/2/3/4 and 250m with car15/M4/M4A1. This is because the flash hider is blocking your view when aiming at 250m. As for range>250m with the leaf sight, the scale simply doesn't go that far - 250m is max. The quardant sight can reach 400m though.
As for sharpshooting with a short barrel rifle, experience has shown that it's more effective than using the longer, heavier, bulkier M16A2. You're not expected to hit targets above 300m in real battle anyways, and the difference between M4A1 and M16A2 is insignificant in those ranges.
Actually, in Israel, every soldier that is expected to actually fire his weapon gets either a CAR-15 or an M4A1. M16A1s and scoped M16A2s are currently only used during basic training and courses, while galil types are only used by armor/artillery/etc, and even some of them use CAR-15s instead since they do some (simple) infantry tasks too (guarding in roadblocks and alike).
You should remember that sharpshooters aren't snipers - they're supposed to assault with the rest of the squad, which sometimes includes CQB, though it's also more comfortable to use carbine weapons even in open grounds.