JB-Egypt

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

tarquin

design is flawed
Oct 11, 2000
UK
www.planetunreal.com
I'm not sure I've actually played this one before.
Good map, good layout :)

But there are parts of it that seem too dark for a daylight map, eg parts of the stairs up to the switch, and the little alcove beneath it too.
Also, when I spawned in the ammo area to the side of the switch, I had a torch thing right in front of me. When you spawn, you normally start running forward, and this thing blocked me.

PS. The borders on the cameras are great! Really nice touch!

4WD

globle
Sep 6, 2004
belgium
The_Head said:
Death Sequence is slow to add to the suspense. If you can manage to run out, avoiding the Warlords and get away you deserver to stay unkilled in front of the others ;)
once the doors opend, you can take the jumppad to evade... warlocks running behind you through the map .. until the fallback time elapses and kill you anyway ;)

Vatcilli zeitchef

Dead and back
May 16, 2005
Eindhoven, The Netherlands
And meanwhile the others are annoying themselves to death about the time it takes to continue..
I have been walking out there for about 25-30 seconds
(I don't know exactly how long) but imagine how other players will feel if that happens often (not to mention that player can kill the ppl on the winning team)
:D

Glad to see you got it to a final beta :)

Annother nitpicky thing is that one of the lightsources in red base has a mehs that looks like a blue light.. but changing that would need a custom tex wich is not worth it. and it is not too inportant ;)

The_Head

JB Mapper
Jul 3, 2004
UK
www.unrealized-potential.com
Ok, had a play around with the lighting, its a bit better now (I think) will have to do some comparisons.

I have sorted out those playerstart's positions

Would the camera borders be better going horizontally to create a widescreen image?

OK I'l set the jumppads to not work when the jail death sequence is on, of course you will be able to shield jump out, and that is worth trying to do, very tricky I imagine. Maybe I could spawn another warlord at the top? lol

I have dropped down the fallback time, didn't realise it was so long, left over from my previous attempt at a original death sequence.

I could adjust the lightsources quite easily really, just depends on how nicely photoshop acts.

G.Lector, am currently working on getting that trim on the stairs ;)
wish I got round to doing it before, it looks nice, I may also get rid of the "pit" down the gap between the platform and the stairs, might fill it in. or maybe extend the platform out in a curve.
ps managed to find that dodgeamp yet? :p

Once again: is everyone's framerate still ok?

The_Head

JB Mapper
Jul 3, 2004
UK
2 pics to show the trim on the switch platform
piccy0.jpg

Here is looking down from the top, the platform is now curved to follow the stairs. It also servers to make seeing people coming up the stairs tricky unless you stand right on the ege (making yourself vulnereable)

piccy1.jpg

Heres from the other side looking upon the platform.

tarquin

design is flawed
Oct 11, 2000
UK
www.planetunreal.com
Those two shots show what I mean about bits being too dark.

Vatcilli zeitchef said:
Looking great :)
Yeah the widescreen would be a good idea to add to the cams, I'd say do it ;)

I don't think the borders will look as good in widescreen.
Try it though, see what you think.

INIQUITOUS

Purple Monkey DishWasher
Mar 26, 2005
U.K
www.ini.hazelwhorley.com
ok i bug hunted and only found a few small things. Alot has changed since i alst played this map. Last time i played it there was water in the arena! its very nice and almost done!!

ok heres my bug report:

Ive never seen this before on the pano where it says "defending_Release_red" is that custom code? has it always been there? and why does ti say release red when i am on blue team :O

This is the only hiding place i could find, behind those big statues and you dont need the trans to get behind either.

You can still see up his skirt! lol

The skybox isnt aligned properly or something plus there are much nice ones available now :p *winks at hazel*

INI

Hazel.H

Jan 15, 2004
Looking good :) first time I played the map...

- The health vials in the arena are too close the the walls and between the pillars
- You put a redeemer on one side of the map and an ion painter on the other. This unbalances the map IMO as the ion painter can only be used in open areas and takes time to charge up whereas you can fire the redeemer anywhere. I think you should change them both to ion painters. Having the redeemer in the map as well seems a bit overpowered.

- The lighting in the map doesn't seem right... it's really dark in some areas where the sky is bright in comparison. You could add large radius & low brightness lights to make shadows with a slightly bluish tint. Most of the wall light meshes don't have coronas and have little or no lighting.

Another screenshot of the scoreboard text:

G.Lecter

Registered Tester
Dec 31, 2004
Spain
www.oscarcrego.com
INIQUITOUS said:
Ive never seen this before on the pano where it says "defending_Release_red" is that custom code? has it always been there? and why does it say release red when i am on blue team :O
I think that has something to do with the Release Switch tags, they must be left as default [RedReleaseSwitch/BlueReleaseSwitch], ZedMaestro reported that already, I think it's well explained somewhere in this thread... ;)

The trimming looks good btw... :tup:

[Edit:]I always forget saying it! The skybox does not work with my graphics card. \o/ In the wiew where INI reports misaligned skybox textures I only could see ugly greenbubbles. I though can see the terrain, and I like it. Could the terrain be kept and another skybox be added? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

The_Head

JB Mapper
Jul 3, 2004
UK
I have blocked off the area behind Anubis, and you can't see up his 'skirt' anymore, lol.
The joins you can see in the skybox should have been hidden by fog, all fixed now.
I have removed the health from the arena, It just leads to the arena matchs being dragged on.
Painters both sides now, could really do with it being random though between the 2, but its not possible without new coding.
I have played around with the lighting a bit more, just trying to not oversaturate some areas too much, Having the contrast between bright and dark makes it seem brighter than it really is outside imo, but since the common opinion of the darker areas is "zomg i cant see" I have made them brighter.

Not sure what is causing the problem with the disapearing textures, it happens with a lot of maps, have seen it in stock maps aswell.... Its odd.....
Anyone else having the textures in the skybox disapear.

The message appearing on the F1 screen is connected to the ObjectiveName of the Switchs. I have changed it to what is allegedly default, but I can't see any reason why it should be done, its not called for anywhere else in the map. I guess it is something deeper in the JB code.

Hazel, as for the lightblue trim such as around the tops of the rooms, Its not really worth putting lighting along it, I just put it there as it breaks up the edges and highlights them quite nicely, where it is used just outside of the jail exit in the 'tunnel' I will add some lighting around it, because it will actually be noticable there. I wish you could get different shapes of lights..... imagine how usefull it would be to have long thin lights that stretch between to points like a real tube light.....

That is all for now (i think)

Head

RevBillyG

Taking over the world.
Nov 10, 1999
Ok, I've been bad. I've only just tried this map this morning.:eek:

Excellent work. Seems a bit ammo-heavy maybe but I was only playing with 7 dumb bots.

Gets a :tup: from me.

G.Lecter

Registered Tester
Dec 31, 2004
Spain
www.oscarcrego.com
The_Head said:
I have changed it to what is allegedly default, but I can't see any reason why it should be done, its not called for anywhere else in the map. I guess it is something deeper in the JB code.
Don't forget modifying the AssaultPaths and any other NavigationPoint linked to the switches, just an advise... ;)

The_Head

JB Mapper
Jul 3, 2004
UK
The assault paths are linked to the objective tag not the Objective Name, the Objective name is solely used for appearing on the map to show where you are, he nice "defending red switch," no idea why with Ini it said defending red switch when he was on the blue team though, will have to look into that one.

The_Head

JB Mapper
Jul 3, 2004
UK
There is a finished version of this map on my harddrive waiting for an online beta test. I am likely to just do a final release for it tomorrow anyway though....
I can't see any dramatic problems occuring online, there hasn't been any in small scale online testing (ie 2-3 people) so I don't see why there would be anything wrong with it.

The_Head

JB Mapper
Jul 3, 2004
UK
IT'S DONE!!!!
Yeh zipped it all up and uploaded it.
For those who want to be given the link click on the following button:
CLICK ME!

Any people who don't like it easy, search around on my site for it ;)

Nalicity link to come.... when they show it on there website.