I just purchased UT3

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Sijik

Snagged an item.
Aug 27, 2004
All Hallows Sunset
It's FUN to hate things!!

Anyway, botmatches have gotten a bit better over time, and once you learn your way around the .ini files there's a lot of customization you can do pretty easily.
The patches fix a lot, I'd recommend tracking 1.2 down.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
The Problem with the UT series is, every game looks better but plays worse.

First Unreal Online: Hard to frag, the way it should be, a skill game.

UT 99, still pretty good, but slightly dumbed down. Everyone can easily achieve frags.

UT 2003 better graphics, but the gameplay doesnt feel right, same goes for UT 3.
WTH? You serious?

Unreal was hard to get kills because the netcode was crap,. not because the weapons weren't powerful enough. Even then, it wasn't as hard as you are making it sound.

UT was simply the culmination of Unreal multiplayer. The only change really made were for balance and nothing else.

UT2003 and UT3 don't have similar gameplay at all. UT3 isn't quite the same as UT, but it's about 90% there where UT2003/2004 were only about 5% there.

Renegade Retard

Defender of the newbie
Dec 18, 2002
TX
Visit site
threadcrapxh6.jpg

eblade

Jan 29, 2006
imo, the whole series has strived to be a quake clone, and has never really achieved that .. then they bolted a whole bunch of features (alt-firing, dodging, multi-jump, etc) and alternate game modes on top of that to try to differentiate it, without ever really getting the "quake clone" thing down.

Raynor.Z

Ad Nocendum Potentes Sumus
Feb 1, 2006
imo, the whole series has strived to be a quake clone, and has never really achieved that .. then they bolted a whole bunch of features (alt-firing, dodging, multi-jump, etc) and alternate game modes on top of that to try to differentiate it, without ever really getting the "quake clone" thing down.

And it became something much better and intense than quack series.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
UT has never really felt like Quake at all. The only similarity is that they are the same genre.

IronMan(Erie)

May 31, 2005
Erie, Pa
I like UT3 and don't feel as if I paid too much for it. I had $40 in Gift Cards for Best Buy and a 10% off coupon and ended up paying a whopping $8.67 (USD).
I play offline and enjoy a few rounds but I still prefer UT and UT2004. But UT3 has alot of potential and I like the weapons. I would like to see more maps made in a UT/UT2004 style instead of the UT3 style. Brighten this game up and add some color I believe would help. I disable the Bloom since I strongly dislike that effect. I have another UT3 engined game, MOH:Airborne, and it plays very nice. The UT3 engine is a good engine.

I also play the Quake games and don't think Unreal is a clone at all. Quake was always more demonic and evil feeling than UT in my opinion. I like both franchises equally since I find them both entertaining and definitely worth playing. ;)

Fuzzle

spam noob
Jan 29, 2006
Norway

wat. "bolted on"? "Then" they bolted on?
You formulate it as if they first made an unreal game that failed horribly, so they made another one with alt-fire. Alt-fire has been in unreal from the very beginning.
Almost every single fps these days has followed suit with alt-fire.

UT99 came to be because people were playing the sh* out of unreal1 deathmatch, not because they were playing a lot of quake.

.. I just took the troll bait, didn't I?

Bishop F Gantry

Aug 18, 2004

Imo Quake and Unreal tried to be a multiplayer game only thats the only similarity between the two, and therein lays their demise by overspecializing in multiplayer Id and Epic drove away most of the singleplayerbase leaving at most a small minority of hardcore multiplayer gamers left.

SciFi FPS arent a dead franchise and they can be highly succesful aswell as long as they are done properly, Upstarters like Valve and Bungie could swoop down on the SciFi FPS genre and swoop of the playerbase with games like Half-life and Halo.

While technically not an upstarter Bungie hadnt produced a FPS since Marathon if my memory dosent fail me...

Hedge-o-Matic

Dec 29, 2000
Visit site
I really liked UT3. It had its flaws, and still does, but they were mostly in the shoddy finishing touches that make a product feel polished. Core gameplay is mucho fun.

However, though I don't usually consider the surrounding circumstances when I rate a game's merits, I admit I was severely turned off of UT3 by Epic themselves. Their launch and treatment of the community were and continue to be so heavy-handed that I began to have negative associations with UT3. They were so defensive about it, and tried to hard to silence the flood of legitimate criticisms, that it very much gave the impression of a damage game from the days of the disastrous "beta demo". "Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain!" doesn't work very well, it seems. Seeing the high quotient of forum scrubbing and message control on Epic's official boards was the last piece of it, for me.

So, though the gameplay is good, Epic has nobody but themselves to blame for the awful reception Ut3 received. Many mediocre games have very strong communities, and the major factor seems to be the parent company's culture, and relation to their fans. Epic seems to feel that it can treat its fanbase however it pleases, and that it can survive by engine sales alone.

I loved UT3, but have not really played for three months now. Since I played every other UT game non-stop for nine years, and UT3 is easily their equal, I have to figure that there's something else that turned me away from it. So don't judge the gameplay by the awful online presence, or the negative vibe on these boards. Epic has shaken off a large portion of their loyal UT fanbase in these past six months, and is likely hoping for a new community based on UT3, who doesn't remember the company they used to be. Good luck to them with that, and if you like UT3 enough to stick around, you could get in on the new ground floor of the community, since the game itself is loads of fun.

Last edited:

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
WTH? You serious?

Unreal was hard to get kills because the netcode was crap,. not because the weapons weren't powerful enough. Even then, it wasn't as hard as you are making it sound.

UT was simply the culmination of Unreal multiplayer. The only change really made were for balance and nothing else.

UT2003 and UT3 don't have similar gameplay at all. UT3 isn't quite the same as UT, but it's about 90% there where UT2003/2004 were only about 5% there.
The netcode was crap only at beginning, later with patches they fixed it at Unreal and since 2.20 there were same sounds as later in UT nad gameplay was changed much (some things better some worse though imo, like dp is less powerfull and stinger i think and powershield didnt have anymore draining power on it, so it was just a shieldbelt with more hitpoint unlike original one), too bad almost all ppl flew to UT later.
Anyway I purchased UT3 too, I am running it on laptop and it's a lot more heavier than demo indeed (Epic pls make it run smoother lol like the demo was) and even after applying patch in fact I run to some bugs due to lag like altfire sound of link gun getting stuck etc or music fades away.

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Unreal's netcode was never as good as it needed to be. UT's netcode was completely changed (and one core reason it was not an expansion pack like originally planned).

d3tox

Face down in a pool of his own vomit.
Apr 8, 2008
While technically not an upstarter Bungie hadnt produced a FPS since Marathon if my memory dosent fail me...

Never played the original, but Marathon 2 rocked! IIRC, these were mac only werent they?

Zaccix

Truth, by Banksy
Nov 10, 1999
London, UK
UT3 is a fun game. Sure, it's not a particularly groundbreaking game, and Midway was completely useless at marketing the PC version (and the PS3 version, come to think of it). Also, as Hedge-o-Matic said, Epic hasn't done itself any favours by trying to control the community over on the official forums. Still, if taken for what it is, UT3 is great for a quick 30 minute frag session every now and then, and the PC version is cheap enough that it can be bought on impulse.

I do have to wonder about the motives of people who clearly try to steer others away from UT3. What do they gain from it? Is it some sort of weird pride in knowing that they "saved" someone from a game they think is bad? Are they just looking for attention? Really, what's the point?