How do you solve this?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Twisted Metal

Anfractuous Aluminum
Jul 28, 2001
Long Island, NY
You're joking right? There's no argument there, there are simple rules to follow.

Yet not even TI calculators can agree on the answer. It's really a problem of implied vs explicit multiplication and how you interpret each. Some calculators/texts place higher precedence on implied multiplication. So for example, a problem like 10/5x would be solved by multiplying 5 * x first. Problem is that other calculators/texts don't go by that rule. Who is right? Bottom line is that the equation is a mess and should be written in a more clear, concise manner.

Twisted Metal

Anfractuous Aluminum
Jul 28, 2001
Long Island, NY
You'd be surprised how many people forget parts in the order of operations.

It's not taught right to be honest. Teachers don't emphasize enough that multiplication is equal to division, and addition is equal to subtraction. Nowhere in the "PEMDAS" phrase is it implied that they're equal. A lot of people just read it from left to right and assume that it's in prioritized order. And it is, but you kinda gotta picture it this way:

Code:
PEMA
  DS

or maybe just group with parentheses:

Code:
PE(MD)(AS)

KaL976

*nubcake*
Nov 28, 2003
Cardiff | UK
Visit site
Im fuckin terrible at math. Is this shit hard for anyone else?

Judy had a number of raisins. After eating one, she gave half the remainder to her sister. After eating another raisin, she gave a third of what was left to her brother. Judy now had only six raisins left. How many raisins did she start with?

You need to shoot everyone that answered this thread in the head.

drakon

Introverted™
Jan 20, 2008
eureka! that's it!
Bite Me you're a genius!

the reason black people score low in math tests isn't because they're bad at math.
it's because the examples used in traditional word problems are racist. they don't address the conditions that are relevant to black society.

classic word problems included scenarios like "train A leaves the West station heading due East at 3:05 traveling 74 KPH, while train B leaves the East station heading due West at 3:15 traveling 68 KPH..." when in reality, we know black people can't afford to ride the train, let alone make it to places on time.

we must scrap this irrelevant bullshit and rework the word problem to reflect an environment and culture that black people can identify with. there's no reason the black man can't be good with numbers. we've just been unfair to his sensibilities.
I hereby nominate this thread to be instantly archived in the "classics" due to sheer awesomeness present in this 'ere post :lol:

Seriously, Jacks, you made me weep and laugh at the same time... I salute you!

drakon

Introverted™
Jan 20, 2008
Now try solving 48 / 2(9+3).

One of the most controversial expressions on the internet. The cause of more arguments than airplanes on a conveyor belt.

I'm not sure how the others got 288, but I only 2. When I did algebra, I was told that you always calculate what's in the brackets first, and then work your way outside.

So:

1. (9+3) = 12
2. 2(12) = 24
3. 48 / 24 = 2

But what the frock do I know? :gonk:

Staward

Lauda tuus animus
Jan 31, 2008
-23° 58' 3.15" -46° 20' 32.07"
Hey guys, check that out:

F = square root of F(YOU + X) / UCK

F² = F(YOU + X) / UCK

F²UCK = F(YOU + X)

F²UCK = FYOU + FX

F²UCK - FYOU = FX :)F)

X = F UCK - YOU

I learned that in school. Seriously.

BITE_ME

Bye-Bye
Jun 9, 2004
Not here any more
I'm not sure how the others got 288, but I only 2. When I did algebra, I was told that you always calculate what's in the brackets first, and then work your way outside.

So:

1. (9+3) = 12
2. 2(12) = 24
3. 48 / 24 = 2

But what the frock do I know? :gonk:

We had the same math teachers too :D

toniglandyl

internal data fragmentation : 62203480%
Jan 20, 2006
diceedge.blogspot.com