How do you solve this?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Jacks:Revenge

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
eureka! that's it!
Bite Me you're a genius!

the reason black people score low in math tests isn't because they're bad at math.
it's because the examples used in traditional word problems are racist. they don't address the conditions that are relevant to black society.

classic word problems included scenarios like "train A leaves the West station heading due East at 3:05 traveling 74 KPH, while train B leaves the East station heading due West at 3:15 traveling 68 KPH..." when in reality, we know black people can't afford to ride the train, let alone make it to places on time.

we must scrap this irrelevant bullshit and rework the word problem to reflect an environment and culture that black people can identify with. there's no reason the black man can't be good with numbers. we've just been unfair to his sensibilities.

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
Im fuckin terrible at math. Is this shit hard for anyone else?

Judy had a number of raisins. After eating one, she gave half the remainder to her sister. After eating another raisin, she gave a third of what was left to her brother. Judy now had only six raisins left. How many raisins did she start with?

Do the reasoning in reverse and it should be easier to figure out.

NRG

Master Console Hater
Dec 31, 2005
You're joking right? There's no argument there, there are simple rules to follow.

The truly fucked up arguments come from 0.999 repeating = 1.0 :rolleyes:
You'd be surprised how many people forget parts in the order of operations.

-Jes-

Tastefully Barking
Jan 17, 2005
DM-HyperBlast
What most people do wrong when looking at math like OP's, is that they read it in the written order. They get confused and fail before they even calculate anything.

Darkdrium (first) posted the solvable order (beginning with known values) of calculating such a bit, which is in reverse.

Last edited:

kiff

That guy from Texas. Give me some Cash
Jan 19, 2008
Tx.
www.desert-conflict.org
What most people do wrong when looking at math like OP's, is that they read it in the written order. They get confused and fail before they even calculate anything.

Darkdrium (first) posted the solvable order (beginning with known values) of calculating such a bit, which is in reverse.
that's bad advice if you plan on taking college level math classes where typically it must be expressed in terms of a variable... if you know a little algebra it's easy. the majority of my time was spent just typing it...

-Jes-

Tastefully Barking
Jan 17, 2005
DM-HyperBlast
Thus why my post was not advice to OP, but an observation of everyday people rarely mastering basic algebra. I refer you to NRG's post.