Getting Unreal Tournament Dreamcast Back Online

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

TeamXlink

Feb 6, 2011
Hello.

Unreal Tournament was released for the Sega Dreamcast, it featured 8 player online play. The master-list is still up but GameSpy removed all of the servers.

People have tried to get it online in the past, and one group DC Arena from:DC Arena

They got a server to show up in the master-list and the Dreamcast could see it but it couldn't connect. However he said something happened to the hard drive on his computer and he hasn't been successful in remaking the INI file.

I've been successful in making a new INI file and I've gotten my server to show up in the master list, however when the Dreamcast tries to connect it says Denied Connection.

Another person who has worked on getting it back online widely is LordNikon, owner of Online-Consoles.com This is the Dreamcast section Dreamcast OnlineConsoles

He has been successful with getting other games online as well.

According to him, the public Unreal Tournament releases are not compatible with the Dreamcast release.

Getting this game back online would help the Dreamcast community and bring us joy, in such a way that I can't describe it with words.

I'm asking the community for help.

Does anyone have any interest in helping the Dreamcast community with this?

Is there someone who has anything or information that could help us?

Thank you.

-TeamXlink

Last edited:

GF-REX

Jan 31, 2008
Kansas, USA
www.unrealrex.com
I don't have any idea how to fix the issues of getting denied, but I'd love being able to play UT on the DC again. The only reason I play UT on the PC is because of the DC one being offline.

I'm afraid the only way that I could help is through testing; I have a broadband-enabled Dreamcast along with a copy of UT. If you get any further, let me know and I'd be willing to test.

I do recall that the Dreamcast version was vastly different than the PC one, so getting the two to work together will be quite the task.

Last edited:

TeamXlink

Feb 6, 2011
I don't have any idea how to fix the issues of getting denied, but I'd love being able to play UT on the DC again. The only reason I play UT on the PC is because of the DC one being offline.

I'm afraid the only way that I could help is through testing; I have a broadband-enabled Dreamcast along with a copy of UT. If you get any further, let me know and I'd be willing to test.

I do recall that the Dreamcast version was vastly different than the PC one, so getting the two to work together will be quite the task.

Well, I have a few things I need to test which with your help would be great.

On your Dreamcast, make sure its connected online, go to the network, connect and go to the masterlist there should be a server, only one should be there but if there is multiple ones, go to the one that has TeamXlinks in the name, it runs DM_BARRICADE_DC as the map.

Try to connect and see whether or not the same message appears if it does, then do this:

Open up a practice match, settings don't matter.

Once you get in the game push the "t" button and then quickly press the "escape" then "space". If all goes well you should have a blank prompt.

Type in this:

open 68.41.163.53

And let me know what it does.

Thank you.

Arnox

UT99/2004 Mod Crazy
Mar 26, 2009
Beyond
facepalm.jpg
It is, the game looks like crap on the DC or so I here, not only that, I heard most of the exclusive maps in the DC version suck and it's missing the good ones. And then there's the superior control that the PC version has and then the editor. And THEN, you can't install custom mods on it.

Just the fact that you can get the same version with the editor and the ability to install custom things on it instantly makes the DC game obsolete.

Suck it DC version.

Last edited:

AWW SNACK

Feb 13, 2009
It is, the game looks like crap on the DC or so I here, not only that, I heard most of the exclusive maps in the DC version suck and it's missing the good ones. And then there's the superior control that the PC version has and then the editor. And THEN, you can't install custom mods on it.

Suck it DC version.

people...have different tastes and might not care about all of the things you listed?!?!?! :eek:

Raynor.Z

Ad Nocendum Potentes Sumus
Feb 1, 2006
I somewhat understand your console hate, but also try to understand that other people are trying to make something good here, because there are people who play it on Dreamcast and PS2 systems. Reviving DC online scene probably does not make your (and my) experience on PC any way worse.

Arnox

UT99/2004 Mod Crazy
Mar 26, 2009
Beyond
I somewhat understand your console hate, but also try to understand that other people are trying to make something good here, because there are people who play it on Dreamcast and PS2 systems. Reviving DC online scene probably does not make your (and my) experience on PC any way worse.
I'm not saying at all that this would make my PC experience any worse. I'm saying that it's a waste of time and effort. :p

Last edited:

Raynor.Z

Ad Nocendum Potentes Sumus
Feb 1, 2006
For you - maybe, but if there are people willing to invest their time and resources into this project then let them do it.

Arnox

UT99/2004 Mod Crazy
Mar 26, 2009
Beyond
It's all up to you guys of course, but I'm just trying to save you all the work.

AWW SNACK

Feb 13, 2009
It's all up to you guys of course, but I'm just trying to save you all the work.

You sound patonizing, which is what's irritating. I mean, is it really that hard to accept that some people may like "worse" versions of something?

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
"sees Arnox posts"
"ignore him altogether"

Never had a DC, but still, good luck. Great games need to be played.

GF-REX

Jan 31, 2008
Kansas, USA
www.unrealrex.com
Well, I have a few things I need to test which with your help would be great.

On your Dreamcast, make sure its connected online, go to the network, connect and go to the masterlist there should be a server, only one should be there but if there is multiple ones, go to the one that has TeamXlinks in the name, it runs DM_BARRICADE_DC as the map.

Try to connect and see whether or not the same message appears if it does, then do this:

Open up a practice match, settings don't matter.

Once you get in the game push the "t" button and then quickly press the "escape" then "space". If all goes well you should have a blank prompt.

Type in this:

open 68.41.163.53

And let me know what it does.

Thank you.

Alright. It'll have to wait until this weekend, though. My Dreamcast is at home and I won't be back until Friday. When I get back, I'll be sure to load up UT and give it a try.

Is the map that the server running the one ripped from the Dreamcast cd? If so, then I'd assume that the map is fine. The real issue likely stems from mismatches caused by the other UT files.

Arnox, stay out of this. Some people prefer playing on a console, like me. I also enjoyed the DC-exclusive maps.

gopostal

Jan 19, 2006
Rex if you need help with this, let me know. I don't have a DC but I like the idea of the challenge.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000

Just the fact that you can get the same version with the editor and the ability to install custom things on it instantly makes the DC game obsolete.

Suck it DC version.
If you haven't played the Dreamcast version, why are you even bothering to post here? The extra maps on the DC version were fine, and the game looks fine. You can also play the game with a keyboard and mouse on the Dreamcast.

So, again, why do you care?

AWW SNACK

Feb 13, 2009
If you haven't played the Dreamcast version, why are you even bothering to post here? The extra maps on the DC version were fine, and the game looks fine. You can also play the game with a keyboard and mouse on the Dreamcast.

So, again, why do you care?

Being really opinionated and patronizing makes people do bad things.