Epic commitment to UT3

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
"Exclusive" means sweet f-all these days, look at gears, mass effect, halo (okay not the best eg) but you get the picture.

Crotale

_________________________ _______________
Jan 20, 2008
Anywhere But Here
Funny thing about consoles. Have any of you PC purists ever played UC2? Considering the fact that UC2 is a console game, UT2004 has nothing on it as far as speed, agility and complexity.

FuLLBLeeD

fart
Jan 23, 2008
Kansas
awwsmack.org
And how do you know this? They are going to be on the 360 in the summer, plenty of time for them to put them on the PC. THEY DEVELOPED THOSE MAPS ON THE PC IN THE FIRST PLACE.

This is almost as bad as when they talked about UE4. Everyone jumps to conclusions about the consoles.

If they do put the maps on PC, it will be a step in the right direction.

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
Funny thing about consoles. Have any of you PC purists ever played UC2? Considering the fact that UC2 is a console game, UT2004 has nothing on it as far as speed, agility and complexity.

Yeah actually I have to agree, I did enjoy UC2 alot but the whole live thing turned me off trying the multiplayer. I heard it was alittle unbalanced for online play anyways. Its wierd, UC2 brought alot of unreal feeling for me and kept me going through to UT3, as far as the series is concerned I would love to see a UC3 game because UC2 did that so well. It was kinda like stripping all the T outta UT2004 and making a sequel, UC1 was alittle too much T I rekon UT3 is a better step in the T direction I think even if the single player doesnt have much in there :cool:

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
Remember that things take much longer to develop with UE3.
Que? Sure, there's more visual detail to bother with, but code is code no matter its application. And in the case of UT3, it's the same object-oriented UScript and C++ they've been using since the beginning. And by beginning I mean Unreal. If they had even one guy dedicated to patching issues out of UT3 we wouldn't be in this position. It's been five months and there are silly things still broken that could have been fixed without much effort. There's literally zero excuses for it except that they don't have any exclusive UT3 guys anymore -- they're all working on something more important (GoW2).

You know, there was one onslaught map for UT2004 which was released a few months after the game was released (It was a Onslought map that took place on buildings in the sky, like BR-Skyline. I think it was ONS-Icarus, you could get it from the community tab). Did anyone complain? Some things don't make the final cut. The upcoming DM-KBarge has been in development since last summer.
Icarus was not an Epic map. It was Plutonic's. They put it on the community tab because, well, he was a part of the community, and at the time they wanted to use that space for good maps not unlike Cliffy's Ownage site. It's a shame they deserted it so quickly.

You get a lot of your facts wrong. :(

And the reason the mouse feels weird is because it was designed for a gamepad.
[citation needed] Yeah, there are a lot of INI variables for it, but they should have had separate builds for consoles and PC. Are you claiming we're playing a console build of the engine? :eek:

News weapons in CoD4? Do you know what they are? So long as its not new snipers I will be happy. Those all pretty much suck. The Barrett is the only semi-auto one that can one-shot an enemy with shot to the gut and is therefore the only useful one. D:

Last edited:

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Icarus was not an Epic map. It was Plutonic's. They put it on the community tab because, well, he was a part of the community, and at the time they wanted to use that space for good maps not unlike Cliffy's Ownage site. It's a shame they deserted it so quickly.

You get a lot of your facts wrong. :(

Actually... Plutonic was contracted for work on UT2004 and Icarus was in development during that time, though not completed until after the game was released.

http://www.beyondunreal.com/view_story.php?id=5157
http://plutonic.planetunreal.gamespy.com/icarus.shtm

This map started as a concept generated while I was working on UT2004 as a contract level designer, but I didn't get a chance to seriously work on it until February this year. So, why not release it as soon as possible after the launch of UT2004?

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
I saw that. Coming up with a concept and doing nothing with it does not qualify as working on it during his contract. It instead puts it back as a fan map not unlike things Hourences has done.

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
The TF2 beta ran flawlessly. And lots of updates it a good thing. If Epic was even half as good as Valve we wouldn't be having this conversation

Gah why are we still talking about TF2 and Valve, Valve is not Epic so they have sweet **** all to do with Epic's commitment to UT3. Unless ofcoarse you think otherwise?

If the discussion would stay on topic for a change would you have anything to say?

Epic is updating the game so stop acting like they arnt doing anything at all, sure online player counts might suck but theres only 100 Epic employee's so they cant do much there can they? :lol:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
UC2 is quite possibly the most awesome game ever released for Xbox.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
I saw that. Coming up with a concept and doing nothing with it does not qualify as working on it during his contract. It instead puts it back as a fan map not unlike things Hourences has done.
Oh, well you know there is this:
CliffyB, Lee Perry and the guys at Epic (for their tireless testing and advice) - thank you gentlemen.
It's not an official product of Epic Games, but it was concepted while under contract and it was tested by Epic Games guys.

Anyhow, there are other official/unofficial similar projects like ONS-Aridoom and ONS-Ascendancy http://www.beyondunreal.com/view_story.php?id=5319 and AS-Confexia http://www.beyondunreal.com/view_story.php?id=6176

Grobut

Комиссар Гробут
Oct 27, 2004
Soviet Denmark
You really want someone to answer that?

You are welcome to try, but i doubt you can change my mind that they are comparable games.

Epic is committed to UT3. The game's only on patch 2, people. What would you rather have, a fixed UI, or fixed gameplay bugs? I'll take the gameplay bugs every time, and if you don't think fixing gameplay bugs is higher on the priority than fixing some small UI issues - a place where you spend relatively little time compared to in the game itself - then perhaps you should get your heads checked.

Yes and no, obviously exploits and bugs like the invisible barrier come first, no argument there, but it is important to remember that "UI fixes" does not just include things about the UI that are ugly or annoying, but things that are directly related to gameplay.
Obviously it is most apparent in offline play, since online all this grunt work is usually done by the server host, but alot of thease missing features really do hinder your playing enjoyment, and that does make them important, they affect you ingame, and not just when browsing around in the UI.

But, the 2kx series was wholly based on a console game: Unreal Championship... Why are they not considered as being consolized, when, considering their origin, they're the most consolized of the series? (Besides the console-exclusive titles.)
UT2003, for all intents and purposes, was a console port, and 2k4 was jsut 2k3 with extra content...
All aspects of expanded mobility stem directly from the console games, thus, removing them invariably makes the game closer to the PC version.

The origince is never as important as the end product, it is absolutely true that UT2003 started as an Xbox game, but the end product that ended up shipping for the PC was not horribly consolized in my opinion, they "turned it around" durring development.
UT2003 had many faults, but to me atleast, feeling like a console game was not one of them, sure there where some things where you could tell that was probably intended for the console, but it worked out very well on the PC, it didn't feel all that ported or compromised, they did a good job on the port.

Ports can work, they can be done well, games like CoD4 are testiment to that, and there have been other good ports in the past, for instance i used to play alot of Need For Speed 4 back in the day, that was also a port, but it was done well, and the end product felt at home on the PC, they even added a bunch of content to it that PC players wanted and where used to having, and thus, it felt like a PC game despite its roots.
The real problem is that all too often thease days, we dont see good ports, they more often than not just port them, they dont change them in any substantial way to make them feel at home on a different platform, they dont go the extra mile to make the game have the options and features that are expected on that platform.

Yeah and that's the thing i dont understand about this cross platform release, in interviews Epic dev's often talk about how they wanted UT to get out there and reach a wider audience when asked about UT3 beeing cross platform, but UT allready had an excellent console incarnation in the UC series, so i really dont get that.

The only good reason i could see for making an UT cross platform like this is if there was going to be cross platform play aswell (though that too would be a problem with certain kinds of TC mods), then it would make perfect sense, but since none of them can play with the other anyway, it seems a poor choice, and i really think people would have been happier with sepperate UT and UC titles instead, which has worked so well in the past.

siRtobey

Jan 31, 2008
What Epic's done wrong? Well, actually, not much, except releasing the game to early (and buggy). I guess, I'm not the first one writing this, but I'm a 100% sure, that it was that, what broke UT3's back. It's not dead, but it's crippled.

I think, it would hav had a better life, if Epic released it in February or March, but with less Bugs. There was no question, that UT2004 could have lived longer for a few months...

Anyway, what I like, is, that Epic hasn't given up yet (how could they?) and still is developing Patches, although veeeeeery slow (too slow ;-( )

BTW I didn't mention the things Epic could've done BETTER, that list would be a "litte" longer :S

Last edited:

Crotale

_________________________ _______________
Jan 20, 2008
Anywhere But Here
Yeah and that's the thing i dont understand about this cross platform release, in interviews Epic dev's often talk about how they wanted UT to get out there and reach a wider audience when asked about UT3 beeing cross platform, but UT allready had an excellent console incarnation in the UC series, so i really dont get that.

The only good reason i could see for making an UT cross platform like this is if there was going to be cross platform play aswell (though that too would be a problem with certain kinds of TC mods), then it would make perfect sense, but since none of them can play with the other anyway, it seems a poor choice, and i really think people would have been happier with sepperate UT and UC titles instead, which has worked so well in the past.
UC2 sold very few copies. It was too hard for most players, regardless of whether you were a PCer or console player. Epic simply wanted to go a more standardized route with a cross-platform build. To say that they should have only gone cross-platform build if they were going for cross-platform play is unwarranted; plenty of games are cross-platform yet cannot play together.

If you want to say that UT3 was noobified to an extent, I would buy that rather than saying it was consolified. The game, on all platforms, was made so that the average joe gamer can enjoy playing the game, unlike UC2 and the UT200X games.

siRtobey

Jan 31, 2008
[...]
If you want to say that UT3 was noobified to an extent, I would buy that rather than saying it was consolified. The game, on all platforms, was made so that the average joe gamer can enjoy playing the game, unlike UC2 and the UT200X games.

Agreed. But that doesn't make the gameplay worse. I may not be able to comment that, I startet with UT3 as my first UT Game, but I know many players, who think, it's more like the first UT, and like it better than UT2kX. I only know 2kX players (playing since 2kX) who liked the semi-old gameplay better.

So, maybe not all of you like the gameplay, and it may be "consolified", but the only gameplay-weakness preventing players of playing UT3 are probably the respawn locations in TDM (HORROR, I hate TDM because of those -.-).
Otherwise, explain me why 2k4 was played by so many "old" UT gamers, although they like ut99 better...

Anyway, I still think, the problem why UT3 is dead (let's face it, I don't like the fact anymore than you) was the release date and the number of bugs in the demo and release version. Not to forget: It sucked (and in some point still does) for leagues. The Spec-mode is really bad, server-admin stuff sucks etc.

One could overlook Bugs and the gameplay not liked by everyone, but to succed in leagues, good esports options are elemental:rolleyes:

But who plays real esport shooters on console? No one, so Epic didn't care ;)
Funny how Epic's promise to release PC version first could carry the game into its grave...

Draco73

Oct 11, 2005
www.silentdragons.com
You guys should listen to DP. Fixing the gameplay bugs IS more important than the UI.

i would have to respectfully disagree "to a point" on this one. yes major bugs, major problems should have the number 1 priority on fixing, and as soon as possible. but everyone must look at the big picture here, and not look at your own personal picture just because you have learned to ignore the UI.

Just me personally, I know of quite a few people who stopped playing UT3 mainly because of the UI. I have yet to run into a person who has stopped playing UT3 because of some major game play bug, but personally i know quite a few who stopped because of the UI, and if i know a few people personally, think about how many thousands of people that is total that i do not know, that i am quite sure are in the same boat as them, and stopped playing ut3 mainly because of the UI.

yes, i know most people who play ut3 have learned to "accept" or "ignore" the UI, but you have to look at it from the stance of most people, and you just got or are installing the game. If "Joe" goes out, buys the game, installs it, fires it up the first thing he is going to run into is the POS UI. In most peoples minds they are going to go something along the lines of "WTF is this? this game sucks" so instantly right off the bat, before they even get to see the game play of the game its self, they already have a bad stigma towards the game, they already have it set in there mind that the game sucks because of the first impression they got. First impressions means a hell of a lot, just as if you were going out to get a job, you were the absolute best person in the world for the position, but you made a terrible first impression, you would have a very hard time getting the job. its that simple, that cut and dry, first impressions matter.

Then if you get over the first impression fact, person plays the game, and has a fun time doing so, if he then goes to the options tab to customize his game and finds out, he can do almost nothing, and has almost no control over anything within the GUI. well depending upon how "important" his personal settings are to him, this could easy send him packing as well. and lets assume "joe" has gotten over this too, decided to waste an hour or 2 of his day and edit his ini's to his liking because well he liked and enjoyed the game. then he still has to get over the fact of crappy in game browser, crappy server browser, crappy spec system, absolutely terrible add server to Fav options, no ability to demo rec, no custom X-hairs, i mean the list goes on and on, and unless you are a true "UTer" at heart, any number of things, or combination of a number of things can turn gamers away from this game. it quickly turns into a "laundry list of problems" dealing with ONLY the UI. its really not that hard to see or understand.

I mean just look at this own site if you need more proof, what was it, 1 or 2 weeks ago a poll was ran on the front page asking if you would play ut3 more if the GUI was better, and something like 60% said they would play ut3 more if the UI was better. 60! freaking percent! I mean seriously guys, how much proof do you need that the UI is a major issues, and currently it is turning more people away from the game than any "game play related bug" is by far. This is why so many people keep harping on the UI issues, because its not just a "UI" its causing a lot of overall problems.

and yes i know the UI is not the only problem, the main issue with the state of this game was it being released at a terrible time, hard competition, and it being released in well its "beta" state. but as of right now, i am saying that the UI is the biggest issue with UT, and it IS turning people away from this game on a regular basis.

i would also like to state that, so many people "bringing up the UI problems" is simply because we all like this game, we want this game to succeed, and we do not want it to fail because of a ridiculously stupid reason of the UI being sup par to put it nicely.

Last edited:

N1ghtmare

Sweet Dreams
Jul 17, 2005
Where least expected
If someone does not play a game because they can't spend 5 minuets in the UI then they missed the point of a video game.

But yes, people probably do get turned off by not having features. (Well I don't, I don't see the fun in removing everything from your screen and having little green dots as cross hairs) but for not, Epic is fixing in game problems, so you will have to be patient until some of the UI gets fixed.

Oh, and your poll thing is off

Poll Results:
Yes, but it would have to be a whole new design.: 37%
No, the UI doesn't keep me from playing.: 28%
Yes, I just need more options and settings!: 21%
No, the UI is the least of the game's problems.: 13%
No, they couldn't change the UI enough.: 1%