Epic commitment to UT3

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
And it had "tons of issues" as well :)
But none of them were debilitating and the demo was actually tons of fun. I wasn't going to buy UT2004 since I'd just gotten into UT2003, but then I played Torlan in the demo... Then I got the full release and things were even better and there was lots more great stuff.

You know, the opposite of what happened with UT3. D:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
No, because everyone was whining about how nothing got fixed in the UT2004 retail release as well. And then it got patched, and patched some more, and then people stopped whining about it.

The only difference between then and now is that the percentage of whiners has increased tenfold.

Plus UT2004 didn't use Gamespy and the server browser had the advantage of building off of UT2003.

DGUnreal

Level Designer
May 22, 2006
Do a little research, and you will find that this has been studied many times by the gaming industry, and the findings have allways been the same, for any given game, only around 10% of its players will ever set foot on forums.

That means the vast, vast majority of gamers do not frequent forums.

Links please. Or google keywords please.
All I can find is studies regarding racism, violence, etc. in current games. :)

I'm sure the admins here can probably give us a short total of this forum's total unique hits/visits in a month, which would be a relative indicator of how many people hit the site. Most gamers checking stuff out won't become members.

Forums and WoM combined are going to be a large percentage of the exposure that people get to new titles, otherwise services such as XBL and PSN and the related websites and forums et al would not be as popular as they are.

I think that a lot of the people attempting to bring up various arguments here need to stop and think about what they say before they post, as they are not thinking things through and are simply posting conjecture.

Some of the argument against UT3 sales is that it was released by Epic in an "unfinished" or buggy state... well, without going onto forums the gamers wouldn't know this would they? So by this reasoning it's sales should have been as good as CoD/Cry/etc. then because 99% of the gamers never go to forums, so anyone going into the stores to buy a game is going to think the UT3 game is in the same state as the others on the shelf... The TV ads, Walmart, etc. are not going to be putting up posters stating that some forums are saying UT3 is unfinished...

Not invalid ...

Invalid because you are comparing a game with 5 years of maturity (2003-2008) that was built onto a more mature engine (UE2/2.5), to one that is just out for 6 months on a new engine (UE3).

Fanboyism and UI aside, I'd like to know what can be done to get the player counts over 400. I mean, thats just pathetic, I can't even find a freaking game.

I don't care if I'm beating a dead horse, I'm pissed UT is dead and want something done about it.

As a realist, I think that only a good patch3, some MSUC content and some time will improve the online state a bit. Right now there is a percentage of people put off by the forums/bugs/issues, a percentage waiting for the [hopefully] few fixes to the game and UI, and those waiting for more content.

Part of the issue with community content is that a lot of the better UT2004 mappers went on to work at studios, so no flaming meant to the community but 95% of the maps released are really sub-quality (for UT3). Personally I would only consider running about 5 or 6 of the community maps on my LAN. MSUC and the mappack groups (CBP etc.) should help this some.

I don't think UT3 will ever have the large online success that its predecessors had simply because the market is now more console-oriented and more divided onto other games. A lot of people are just playing other games now.

What will keep UT3 going to a large degree is the clans and mods that are released and those people who go in that direction onto those servers.

Regardless of how large the server player counts are, UT3 will survive just fine because it is one of the most mod'able and supported systems available.

It's just illogical. I've never, ever set foot on a game's forum before purchase and I'm what you might call a "hardcore" gamer. Why should anyone else's opinion dictate what I do?

What I do is I let the demo of a potential purchase tell me what I should buy. Or the full ver... ahem! Yeah, just the demo. If the demo sucks, I don't buy. Simple as that. Except in the case of UT3, with which I mistakingly veered from that path because I once had faith in Epic.

Just because you don't do that doesn't mean the rest of the gaming community doesn't do it. If 99% of the gamers didn't go to forums as you mention, then who are all of the people on all of the game sites? I'm not talking just forums.epicgames.com but all game related sites and their subforums, which includes publishers, hosting sites, etc.

I go to forums prior to purchasing games not to see if other people like it or not, but to see what issues people are having. The TV ads and web site screenshots don't tell us everything about the game, if you want to know what issues people are running into, the forums are the place to go. Whenever I go to a game developer's or publisher's website to check out a game I'm interested in buying, I always click on the forums area and have a look for a few minutes.
My game purchases are based close to 50:50 on WoM and forums.

With almost all demos I play local only (eg. Instant Action), so I never had any issues with the UT200x or UT3 demos. I almost never try online with the demos because the "demo" servers are usually useless.

And myself and probably most other gamers who try the beta and/or walk into stores and pick up a box don't download a "trial" copy of the game over BitTorrent first to try it out... ;)
I'm sure that places you into the minority on that one.

Last edited:

Grobut

Комиссар Гробут
Oct 27, 2004
Soviet Denmark
Not just a "game's forum". I'm talking about the discussion about games that takes place on general gaming sites like Slashdot, ShackNews, etc. I find it hard to believe that only 1 in 10 people that purchase a high-end online-centric game have never discussed it nor seen it discussed in a forum of any kind. What about people that use forums and discuss a game with those that don't?

That's different, lots of people read reviews and articles, and by extension the "comments" section that often acompany them, but i seriously doubt thouse where counted, as i recall it was focused on the official forums run by the dev's/publishers of games.

Links please. Or google keywords please.
All I can find is studies regarding racism, violence, etc. in current games. :)

Dude, i read this stuff years ago! there's no way i can remember where or the URL to it :lol:

DGUnreal

Level Designer
May 22, 2006
Dude, i read this stuff years ago! there's no way i can remember where or the URL to it :lol:

If it was a study done years ago then I agree that it may have been valid at that time.
However, now that so much of the world is on broadband, and the online and internet experience is so widespread, I would certainly doubt that the older studies still hold water. :)
And with online gaming (vs the old single player only a la Leisure Suit Larry) it would be even more likely that people who purchase online games will also go to the various sites and forums, not only for patches and extra downloadable content, but also to get wallpapers and ringtones and to check out the forums.

Grobut

Комиссар Гробут
Oct 27, 2004
Soviet Denmark
If it was a study done years ago then I agree that it may have been valid at that time.
However, now that so much of the world is on broadband, and the online and internet experience is so widespread, I would certainly doubt that the older studies still hold water. :)
And with online gaming (vs the old single player only a la Leisure Suit Larry) it would be even more likely that people who purchase online games will also go to the various sites and forums, not only for patches and extra downloadable content, but also to get wallpapers and ringtones and to check out the forums.

No it still seems to hold water, not long ago i had a talk with one of the Red Orchestra devs, and he was very supriced how few people has joined their forum compared to the sales the game has done, it was around 10%, and RO has practically zero offline play.
Besides, i read this stuff about 1½ or 2 years ago, not 5 or 10 years ago, not all that much has changed in that time.

Also, visiting sites for patches and other downloads is not the same as going to the forums, thouse two should not be confused.

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
The only difference between then and now is that the percentage of whiners has increased tenfold.
Because the problems increased tenfold. Or, you could argue the potential market for the game increase tenfold, but since the game sucks a fat one, so did the amount of disappointed customers.

I never had any real complaints about UT2004 when it came out. I don't have any real complaints about CoD4, HL2, SupCom, the Orange Box, or any game I've gotten recently. I had plenty about UT3. If you can honestly say UT2004 had as many problems as UT3, demo and otherwise, then I feel sorry for you. It must be great to flip-flop your positions so easily whenever it's convenient for you. You should vote for McCain.

But whatever. This is about as pointless as talking about religion. It's fanboys vs. everyone else in this thread and neither side will ever prove the other wrong. Hooray.

The bottom line is no one plays this game and no one will ever play it, so all of this is a waste of time.

/me goes off to play a good game and beckons Fullbleed to join.

Last edited:

DGUnreal

Level Designer
May 22, 2006
Also, visiting sites for patches and other downloads is not the same as going to the forums, thouse two should not be confused.

You are talking "joined" forum members though. I'm not, I'm talking totals.
And forum visits and lurkers vs contributing members shouldn't be confused.
I will bet that publisher game forums get way more than 10x the number of unique visits from non-subscribing people vs members.

... so all of this is a waste of time.

I've been saying that these types of threads are a waste since the beginning... ;)

What will happen is those people who don't like UT3 will slowly go away over the next six months, leaving those of us who like to play it (including non-fanboys like myself) to continue mapping and gaming on it.

Last edited:

Molgan

T-minus whenever
Feb 13, 2008
Sweden
www.apskaft.com
Invalid because you are comparing a game with 5 years of maturity (2003-2008) that was built onto a more mature engine (UE2/2.5), to one that is just out for 6 months on a new engine (UE3).

Valid, because people will compare sequels to its predecessors and don't gives a rat's arse about things like that. If a dev is making a sequel they better make sure it's better then the last one before they try to sell it.

I've been saying that these types of threads are a waste since the beginning... ;)

What will happen is those people who don't like UT3 will slowly go away over the next six months, leaving those of us who like to play it (including non-fanboys like myself) to continue mapping and gaming on it.
So you think it's better to let the franchise die in silence then try to put some pressure on Epic to fix it?