Epic Announces MSU Phase 3 Winners

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

polito

May 28, 2004
magdalena IS a fricking bloody sick nightmare come true! the thought of having that thing hiding in my closet makes me wanna cry!!!!! so i'm really looking forward to your new work.
congrats to all the winners and thanks a lot :)

solaris - BlackCatGames

spineblaZe

VFX Extraordinaire
Apr 8, 2003
MN
Visit site
Slyrr77 said:
For my part, I could easily start whining about how Magdelena got 3rd in the model category when he took the top spot in phase1 already. I could say that it 'isn't fair' for a 1st place winner to get yet another prize and bump my entry to 4th place when I haven't won anything yet. I could whine that EON should be ineligible since it's still a work in progress that can't be played, only viewed, when the contest specifically says it must be "UT2004 ready" to even be submitted. I could say that my models deserve 1st place because I think they're better than the others. I could fume that I think the Junkyard Mech deserves more than honorable mention since I worked so hard on it. I could snivel that my voice pack entries sounded better than the other entries and should have won something.

I just saw the model winners.... Your post is true on all counts. WTF is up with the winners? In my opinion the Raptor is WAY better than MonstAr, but my opinion doesn't matter. ;)

And like you said, what the hell Eon doing there? And why was Magdalena able to enter twice? (Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the Magdalena model :D) Talk about getting screwed.

Also, Junkmech is a bitchin and very original model, it's a shame that it didn't get selected as a winner.

Anyways, congratulations on Deinonychus taking 4th place. :tup: Hope to see more of your work in the future. :)

Slyrr77

Apr 25, 2004
Actually, I mis-stated. It was the AUTHOR of Magdelena who won twice, not the Magdelena model itself. Effigy won in phase1, and Magdelena won in phase3. The skinning on both of those models is amazing...........

Bazzi

Wearing pink
Apr 22, 2001
Germany
www.bazzinet.info
Slyrr77 said:
<snip>
I've said before and feel the need to say again, this is EPIC's contest. They founded and funded it out of their own coffers with their own generosity. It is their contest to judge as they see fit, and they are free to follow whatever protocol they want to judge it.
</snap>
Slyrr

<harsh>Yes, it's Epic's contest and Epic's game. They shouldnt be too confused when they play their games alone in the future.</harsh>

:D

EXE-973

Aug 25, 2003
Visit site
Yeah, cause boycotting a company over a contest that they didn't have to have is just so mature lol. I don't see other companies even giving you the chance to win prizes for modding their games. Maybe they see something in the winners that you don't? Either way, it's just a bloody contest. Ok, so you worked hard on your entries, no one twisted your arm and made you enter. Hell, just having the talent to be able to enter and be on the entries list is an honor. Many of us don't have the spare time to learn to mod the game. Then you see bitching about who made what and who didn't, at least you or your fav. mod placed somewhere. Many of the mods didn't even get that. Did any of you have to pay to enter the contest or to play the entries? Bet you bitch less when you spend five bucks to win a free car.

Congrats to all that entered, at least you tried.

Deep Qantas

Apr 19, 2004
executer99 said:
I don't see other companies even giving you the chance to win prizes for modding their games.

That's no Zen! :D

Congratulations to all winners, except the Non-FPS one. Don't want to seem biased so I'll just skip that. :rolleyes:

R.Flagg {MoO}

Mar 12, 2001
www.home.earthlink.net
Slyrr77 said:
For my part, I could easily start whining about how......

I could say that it 'isn't fair'......

I haven't won anything yet. ...

I could whine that EON should be ineligible....

I could say that my models deserve 1st place because ....

I could fume .....

I could snivel ....

Um....you just did. :rolleyes:

ProjectX

Nicholas 'ProjectX' Udell - UnWheel Maps
Jan 9, 2004
Right behind you.
I gotta say that it should be shooter and non-shooter cause lets face it, all you gota do is make a great PS, and t improve your chances at winning the contest, move the camera somewhere. Other than that everybody who got even an honourable mention should be happy about it and just let things lie.

Slyrr77

Apr 25, 2004
Rflagg:

I've come out in favor of all the winners (including you I might add) and defended EPIC's right to select them.

If you choose to focus on negative elements, then you missed the point of the post entirely.

UnrealGrrl

Enemy flag carrier is Her!
Jun 16, 2000
www.unrealgrrl.com
Selerox said:
However good Frag.Ops might be, it's also one of the least original mods out there. Counter-Strike did it. Tactical-Ops did it. A bunch of other half-arsed copies also did it. Frag.Ops brings nothing new to the mix, and just tries to cash in on the success by doing something that other mods have been doing for years (and doing much better imo).

As for CTF-CBP-Decadence, it might look good, but it's gameplay is truly awful. Pistola on the other hand, is a great CTF and deserves an MSU win (it's the 2nd best CBP map after CTF-CBP-Betrayal imo).

same could be said of Red Orchestra but it keeps winning. I dont really like or play 'realistic' military type games. RO is nothing new but it feels polished and professional and is well done all around. so where some mods have won by being unique and good at the same time like air buccaneers, RO is winning by being professionally done even though its 'just another wargame' (as far as i can tell).

same with Troopers. its Starwars, nothing new there. but its very well done and has a professional feel like RO and so they didnt need to be as unique as another mod which might not be as polished...

its hard because personal taste plays a big factor in all categories, some more than others.

Non FPS imo would have been a tie for 3rd - Deathball and UNwheel

the maps were judged pretty well this time around i thought. KillBilly is fun and a good design for a smallish map and i'm sure thats how it won, a combo of fun and design. My taste would have had Drakonis #1, but thats where it gets personal...

Would have liked to see CTF-Botanic and another CTF map or 2 in there too.

Sounds, Alien Swarm definitely deserved #1, but i would have had AirBucks #2 (and me #3! ;) )

i like the Magdelena model better than the others that beat it but ive seen it played more. JohnnyMagnum and JunkyardMech shoulve been there too.

the only 1/2 sour note to me seemed in phase 3 some rules were bent for some entries and a couple submissions were judged favorably despite the fact they had little content, were not complete or didnt follow rules.
Slyrr77 said:
Flaming back and forth about who won isn't going to accomplish anything.
I could whine that EON should be ineligible since it's still a work in progress that can't be played, only viewed, when the contest specifically says it must be "UT2004 ready" to even be submitted.
(EDIT) too true (edit)

*** Overall the contest was alot of fun and got me to do more voice work than i have before. it was great to win prizes, be a finalist, contribute to winning mod teams and get honorables mentions too! Once again Epic proves no one supports modders like they do :tup:

Epic and the sponsors did a super job and and i really hope theres a MSU2006! :cool:

Last edited:

Selerox

COR AD COR LOQVITVR
Nov 12, 1999
TheUKofGBandNI
selerox.deviantart.com
Good and Bad...

UnrealGrrl said:
same could be said of Red Orchestra but it keeps winning. I dont really like or play 'realistic' military type games. RO is nothing new but it is well done, so where some mods have won by being unique and good at the same time like air buccaneers, RO is winning by being professionally done even though its 'just another wargame' (as far as i can tell).

I did actually mention that in my follow-up post :) RO is a very well made mod, theres no doubt about that.

UnrealGrrl said:
the only 1/2 sour note to me seemed in phase 3 some rules were bent for some entries and a couple submissions were judged favorably despite the fact they had little content, were not complete or didnt follow rules.

I'm less than impressed about EON in all of this as well. I don't like the idea of a commercial company trying to take a chunk of MSU at the expense of community modders.

Eyegore

=================
Sep 4, 2001
Hanover
Epic and the sponsors did a super job and and i really hope theres a MSU2006!

I agree - I was surprised that I was even a finalist - though I only entered the contest because 2 days before the deadline a wild hair climbed up my butt...

Anyway - I'll enter the next contest and strive to make a better thing for it - I just have fun mucking about with the tools and stuff.

It can be hard to lose, but I don't think in a contest like this that there are any losers at all, there is so much interesting crap submitted, the whole community wins.

UnrealGrrl

Enemy flag carrier is Her!
Jun 16, 2000
www.unrealgrrl.com
Selerox said:
I'm less than impressed about EON in all of this as well. I don't like the idea of a commercial company trying to take a chunk of MSU at the expense of community modders.

i dont care who enters, or how big the team is or how much $ they put into a project. i just want them to be held to the same rules as everyone else...
and i was just talking audio, but yeah, of course the same applies to all categories. a level playing field is only fair :)

Eyegore said:
... but I don't think in a contest like this that there are any losers at all, there is so much interesting crap submitted, the whole community wins.

thats the bottom line! theres ALOT of good stuff that came out of the MSU contest and alot of it is being used online now, which is great!
i was thrilled to jump in to FragBU this weekend and hear a couple of my voicepacks being used, now thats what i like to hear :cool: :tup:

Last edited: