Epic Announces MSU Phase 3 Winners

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Slyrr77

Apr 25, 2004
Cool - do you also know when/how we are expected to pay TAXES on the aforementioned prize monies..........?

UnrealGrrl

Enemy flag carrier is Her!
Jun 16, 2000
www.unrealgrrl.com
well itd go along with whatever tax you usually file if any... dont know what category that goes under, but i am sure there is one.

pretty much what AM said, they sent a form to fill out and i got the check within a week or 2 by fedex. congrats! :)

G3K

cooking up a nice warm vat of pwnage
Jul 28, 2004
g3k.livejournal.com
RedOrchestra? Talk about a mod that combines the worst parts of Call of Duty and Counter-Strike.

Although they got JailBreak right for sure. Air Buccaneers is fun fun fun but TKs get old and most people just don't have the patience for it. And Alien Swarm? Cool, but I quit playing it halfway through the first part because I got pissed at my teammates... kept dying when my shotgun blasts went awry...

Bazzi

Wearing pink
Apr 22, 2001
Germany
www.bazzinet.info
Just a sidenote: Look at the Authornames of some of the winners.

Clone Bandits for example did not deserve #3 with one map and a few vehicles and generally a gametype near ONS while Domain is 5th with professional maps etc.

KillBillyBarn is a piss small map with 2 StaticMeshes and got best level with original content...yeah. Something's wrong there.

G

GayGuest

Frag Ops on the 4th spot is rediculous. It should atleast be 2nd or 3rd.
Do the judges even play these games there is not a game out there more addictive then Frag Ops.

Selerox

COR AD COR LOQVITVR
Nov 12, 1999
TheUKofGBandNI
selerox.deviantart.com
Originality!

GayGuest said:
Frag Ops on the 4th spot is rediculous. It should atleast be 2nd or 3rd.
Do the judges even play these games there is not a game out there more addictive then Frag Ops.

However good Frag.Ops might be, it's also one of the least original mods out there. Counter-Strike did it. Tactical-Ops did it. A bunch of other half-arsed copies also did it. Frag.Ops brings nothing new to the mix, and just tries to cash in on the success by doing something that other mods have been doing for years (and doing much better imo).

As for CTF-CBP-Decadence, it might look good, but it's gameplay is truly awful. Pistola on the other hand, is a great CTF and deserves an MSU win (it's the 2nd best CBP map after CTF-CBP-Betrayal imo).

Last edited:

SquirrelZero

Apr 5, 2003
frag-ops.fragwhored.com
Selerox said:
However good Frag.Ops might be, it's also one of the least original mods out there. Counter-Strike did it. Tactical-Ops did it. A bunch of other half-arsed copies also did it. Frag.Ops brings nothing new to the mix, and just tries to cash in on the success by doing something that other mods have been doing for years (and doing much better imo).

As for CTF-CBP-Decadence, it might look good, but it's gameplay is truly awful. Pistola on the other hand, is a great CTF and deserves an MSU win (it's the 2nd best CBP map after CTF-CBP-Betrayal imo).
You may act like you know everything, but you sure as hell don't. First FO isn't a CT mod, second it takes place in the near future (not even the same time period as those two), third the experience and features are completely different. So no, neither of those games "did it" nor did any of the other "half-arsed" copies. We invented an original setting, instead of relying on the tried-and-true. While we do use round-based gameplay and a cash/menu system for selecting weaponry, nothing else between us is even close. Really that's the same as calling every multiplayer game with deathmatch, instant respawns, and mapper-placed weaponry a clone of Doom.

I think i know what the issue is here --- you probably don't even play the game. It probably isn't even your style. If you have in the past, you obviously didn't play it long enough to form an accurate opinion. If you don't like the style, that's up to you, but don't discourage others from it who might. "Good" is subjective. Our community would probably wholly agree that if FO was anything like those other two mods, they'd just play them instead.

My $0.02.

Last edited:

Selerox

COR AD COR LOQVITVR
Nov 12, 1999
TheUKofGBandNI
selerox.deviantart.com
The point still stands.

SquirrelZero said:
If you don't like the style, that's up to you, but don't discourage others from it who might. "Good" is subjective.

I actually quite liked FO, and it's not a bad mod at all, my point was that in some respects it's not as original as some others out there (and accusation that could be squarely leveled at Red Orchestra as well). I wasn't bashing the mod itself, I was just commenting that it wasn't placed as high because it's not as original as some of the other mods.

Major-Lee-High

Im a ranter, ignore me!
Jun 27, 2000
The Dark Tower
www.modcentral.us
Dude, SquirrelZero, you can deny it and ban people from your forums or whatever for saying so, but just because you change a few little things doesnt mean you have some original game, at its core FO is pretty much a tacops clone, which was a cs clone that changed a few things to try to make it more original, now you do the same, even using a similar name... (clones break down over time...). There are tons of Team Fortress mods out there, that make new themes etc, but they are still Team Fortress mods... The money system is basically the same thing as the class based system is to TF, a game with a money system is already on the path of CS clone, add in realism guns, good vs bad guys (doesnt matter what you ****ing call them) and a bomb/defusal kit and your already at clone and oh hey lets add in the boring ass round based gameplay thats played out too, real original addition there... Adding some new stuff doesnt make it a new game.

Even so, its true that it is the same old crap from 100 mods, and it is unoriginal thus far. Plus you guys were late once again entering, and you even tried to say that you cant predict certain things and **** happens or whatever on atari but thats bull****, seeing as how almost the EXACT same scripted sequence of events from phase 2's FO release happened at phase 3, right down to the crappy release that needed a patch....

Im not saying games need to be original, RO isnt, neither is Troopers, pretty much nothing nowadays is and to say something is or will be is a big joke. They are just parts from other games/movies/books/reallife whatever welded together, i wouldnt even have a problem with FO but since before the first release ive seen alot of you guys being pretty dumb acting like you have some badass original mod, saw many threads closed on your forums or deleted for petty crap that just made it look like you guys felt all powerfull cause you have some leet game, and constant denial of the fact that at its core your mod isnt anything but a TO wannabe.... Ive played FO a good deal, its not that great or original, its still just another roundbased realism game with a money system, which it doesnt matter what you say is still gonna get tossed in with TO and CS, so stop ****ing acting like you guys have the most original mod around and trying to deny that its heavily based off of TO and CS, cause its obvious as unf being a tf clone with minor changes....

Last phase there wernt many mods, this time however there were plenty to take the prizes... Imo fO didnt deserve 4th this time, it was late and had a good deal more bugs than other mods who made the deadline. Neo Tokyo was good but didnt have much there at all, i dunno about clone bandits, Atlantis was great fun, i never found a bug, it had a fun gametype that was easy to play, the guns worked good, maps were as good as other mods were. It definatly deserved to be ahead of FO and Domain.... Shattered oasis is pretty cool too, i dunno how well the version they entered was though, and i cant really get into playing it like i have with the others (even fagoops).

It is appernt that the judging was kinda ****ed up though, i didnt play all the levels but i did play reconstruct and barn, barn didnt deserve to win... im sure most the entrants deserved it more...

RO and Troopers were good choices though, RO is kinda retarded but at least its done very well, troopers suprised the **** outta me, pretty fun on a few maps.

Atlantis deserved 3rd or 4th imo though, if they even entered.

Last edited:

S-Dot

Jun 11, 2001
Germany
www.s-dot.de
cangrats to all winners \o/

Looking at the maps I think both winners are a good choice. Pistola is a great CTF map. It plays great looks nice and it is very well done. Some people complain about KillBillyBarn. Imo this map deserves to win as it is very original and funny and invents a style I haven't seen before. It may not contain a lot of content compared to other maps but everything in the map is great and funny.

SquirrelZero

Apr 5, 2003
frag-ops.fragwhored.com
Major-Lee-High said:
Dude, SquirrelZero, you can deny it and ban people from your forums or whatever for saying so, but just because you change a few little things doesnt mean you have some original game, at its core FO is pretty much a tacops clone, which was a cs clone that changed a few things to try to make it more original, now you do the same, even using a similar name... (clones break down over time...). There are tons of Team Fortress mods out there, that make new themes etc, but they are still Team Fortress mods... The money system is basically the same thing as the class based system is to TF, a game with a money system is already on the path of CS clone, add in realism guns, good vs bad guys (doesnt matter what you ****ing call them) and a bomb/defusal kit and your already at clone and oh hey lets add in the boring ass round based gameplay thats played out too, real original addition there... Adding some new stuff doesnt make it a new game.

Even so, its true that it is the same old crap from 100 mods, and it is unoriginal thus far. Plus you guys were late once again entering, and you even tried to say that you cant predict certain things and **** happens or whatever on atari but thats bull****, seeing as how almost the EXACT same scripted sequence of events from phase 2's FO release happened at phase 3, right down to the crappy release that needed a patch....

Im not saying games need to be original, RO isnt, neither is Troopers, pretty much nothing nowadays is and to say something is or will be is a big joke. They are just parts from other games/movies/books/reallife whatever welded together, i wouldnt even have a problem with FO but since before the first release ive seen alot of you guys being pretty dumb acting like you have some badass original mod, saw many threads closed on your forums or deleted for petty crap that just made it look like you guys felt all powerfull cause you have some leet game, and constant denial of the fact that at its core your mod isnt anything but a TO wannabe.... Ive played FO a good deal, its not that great or original, its still just another roundbased realism game with a money system, which it doesnt matter what you say is still gonna get tossed in with TO and CS, so stop ****ing acting like you guys have the most original mod around and trying to deny that its heavily based off of TO and CS, cause its obvious as unf being a tf clone with minor changes....

Last phase there wernt many mods, this time however there were plenty to take the prizes... Imo fO didnt deserve 4th this time, it was late and had a good deal more bugs than other mods who made the deadline. Neo Tokyo was good but didnt have much there at all, i dunno about clone bandits, Atlantis was great fun, i never found a bug, it had a fun gametype that was easy to play, the guns worked good, maps were as good as other mods were. It definatly deserved to be ahead of FO and Domain.... Shattered oasis is pretty cool too, i dunno how well the version they entered was though, and i cant really get into playing it like i have with the others (even fagoops).

It is appernt that the judging was kinda ****ed up though, i didnt play all the levels but i did play reconstruct and barn, barn didnt deserve to win... im sure most the entrants deserved it more...

RO and Troopers were good choices though, RO is kinda retarded but at least its done very well, troopers suprised the **** outta me, pretty fun on a few maps.

Atlantis deserved 3rd or 4th imo though, if they even entered.
Whine whine whine. You spent just as much time posting the same rant in the Atari forums, you should have just copied and pasted it. Our entry wasn't late. We entered into the contest the hour before it closed, which, the last time i checked, is still within the rules. Our entry date and time stamp will prove it. You can gladly contact Epic Games if you'd like this information verified. I never claimed we were the most original game, but we're not a clone. Also, please produce any specific evidence of these so-called "small changes" outside of what i already said we shared between these games. A bomb defusal (by the way, our bombs aren't planted as in CS or TO, they're pre-set) is a laughable excuse to call us a clone, since you have to defuse bombs in UT Assault too as well as hundreds of other games. Our forums also have a policy of non-deletion, all closed threads are moved to a publically-viewable forum with their shadow topic in the original, because if people start flaming each other, threads get closed. We don't remove any criticism of our game either, we welcome it, we even have a forum for it.

I'm not sure where your hatred comes from, but your maturity level is starting to prove that it's not worth my time. We worked hard for our spot in the MSU, and we've built the entire game based on what the community has wanted as a whole. I have no regrets about anything up to this moment as far as Frag.Ops, and i guarantee you we'll be back in Phase 4 to piss you off again. Good day.

F

Frosty22

SquirrelZero said:
bitch bitch bitchQUOTE]

just shutup, Frag .ops is a horrible mod, it plays like garbage, unoriginal, uninspiring, it runs horrible, and looks worse, the only saving grace is that atleast not an exact tac ops clone. Its a disgrace to originality everywhere.

SquirrelZero

Apr 5, 2003
frag-ops.fragwhored.com
Frosty22 said:
SquirrelZero said:
bitch bitch bitchQUOTE]

just shutup, Frag .ops is a horrible mod, it plays like garbage, unoriginal, uninspiring, it runs horrible, and looks worse, the only saving grace is that atleast not an exact tac ops clone. Its a disgrace to originality everywhere.
I've been misquoted! :lol:

You're just as mature as the other guy above, and you can't even get your facts straight either. Just another hater.

Ulukai

May 2, 2000
Yeah, the real reason Frag Ops didn't win is because it's an anagram of Frog Sap, and that's just stupid. Also, I don't like it.

Teddie

DisMember
Bazzi said:
KillBillyBarn is a piss small map with 2 StaticMeshes and got best level with original content...yeah. Something's wrong there.

There's more than 2 custom static meshes in there. I think I only used a couple of the retail meshes. The rest I built in Lightwave. -- but I'm pretty surprised at the contest results as well.

I forgot all about the contest tbh. I thought someone was pulling my leg yesterday.

Congrats to the winners.

Shrimp

Seafood splatter
Jan 13, 2003
Deep in South Africa
shrimpworks.za.net
*sigh*

It's kind of sad to see these mods, maps etc. fighting about who won what and how this should have been first and the other is crap and what a joke the whole thing is...

Geez, I thought modding was about making a fun add-on or some other content. If anyone's making stuff purely to win prizes in MSUC I suggest you give up now. I feel a mod should be created out of passion, not for fame, fortune and recognition - those are supposed to be a bonus. A work of passion almost always turns out way better than something you feel is a job or just something you feel you have to do to get objective X, and the passion you pour into a project will show in the end result.

Anyway, don't want to stirr anything up, just my thoughts.

Slyrr77

Apr 25, 2004
Flaming back and forth about who won isn't going to accomplish anything, and only detracts from the spirit of a thread that was begun to announce the winners, not for frustrated modders to vent about why they think their work got skunked.

For my part, I could easily start whining about how Magdelena got 3rd in the model category when he took the top spot in phase1 already. I could say that it 'isn't fair' for a 1st place winner to get yet another prize and bump my entry to 4th place when I haven't won anything yet. I could whine that EON should be ineligible since it's still a work in progress that can't be played, only viewed, when the contest specifically says it must be "UT2004 ready" to even be submitted. I could say that my models deserve 1st place because I think they're better than the others. I could fume that I think the Junkyard Mech deserves more than honorable mention since I worked so hard on it. I could snivel that my voice pack entries sounded better than the other entries and should have won something.

But that would just be petty grousing and quibbling over trifles. I'm glad that I won anything at all, and I'm honored that I even got honorable mention in some categories as well. It's a sign that my work is competitive and that I, a lone enthusiast with no 'formal' training, one computer and a lot of imagination, am nipping hard at the heels of giants who have paid professionals, educations and equipment under their belts.

I've said before and feel the need to say again, this is EPIC's contest. They founded and funded it out of their own coffers with their own generosity. It is their contest to judge as they see fit, and they are free to follow whatever protocol they want to judge it.

In the end, those of us who walk away with no prize money (or not as much as they hoped) have lost nothing through participating, nor have we been 'robbed' by those who scored higher. Even participation has probably honed your skills and made you more competitive - I know it has for me. Just seeing what I was up against forced me to work harder and hone my skills further than I had thought, and perhaps one of the greatest achievements I ever got from the contest was the fact that Skullbox, the winner of phase1 model category, and winner of 3rd place in phase3, saw my latest entry and proclaimed that it was 'excellent'.

I could just as easily have won nothing at all out of all this. I was frustrated in phase2 when the Junkyard Mech didn't even get honorable mention. But I used it as impetus to try even harder with my next entry.

So please don't turn this thread into a flame war between modders who thought they got skunked. That's not what this contest was about, and again, by participating you have lost nothing and perhaps gained more than you know........

Slyrr