Elder Scrolls: Skyrim [DARGONS EDITION]

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
I have to agree with Kantham here when it comes to all the bickering about screenshots and hype nonsense. I suppose I'm just older now, but the last time I seriously cared about a game's graphics was perhaps ten years ago. I think I'm just happy that games look so good now and at least look like how they felt in my head when I was playing 8-bit adventures in the 80s.

Skyrim may not use the most technically advanced engine out there, okay fine? Oh surely, there's as much to criticize about Skyrim as any other game. But what Skyrim and the previous Bethesda RPGs offer is not beauty or even immersion, but freedom. You can flaunt screenshots from some shooter released in 2007 (that nobody plays anymore) all you want but the reality is that you can't touch everything seen in that screenshot like you can in Elder Scrolls. Skyrim, The Capital & Mojave Wasteland felt more real to me than any single level made by Epic since as far back as...well, Unreal.

I understand if anyone doesn't like these games. I get that. These games only work right if you allow yourself to be creative with them (and yes, you have to be a bit of an apologist when it comes to the occassional bug too). The NPCs are much better now than they were, but when I slay a Dragon in front of a bunch of Whiterun guards and absorb its flaming soul for anyone to see miles around in a cold evening, it is hillarious when one of the guardsmen sheathes his sword and starts complaining about how he doesn't see any action at his post. :lol:

Last edited:

Juggalo Kyle

Sup brah.
Mar 23, 2005
Northern Cali
Just some photos I took while wandering out.

[SCREENSHOT]http://i.imgur.com/ihrXY.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]
[SCREENSHOT]http://i.imgur.com/qqn81.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]

Wulff

Bola Gun fun anyone?
May 25, 2004
Netherlands
Mining for ore is backbreaking work.

[screenshot]http://forums.beyondunreal.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=102225&stc=1&d=1322339261[/screenshot]

Attachments

• 2011-11-26_00001.jpg
    2011-11-26_00001.jpg
    563.1 KB · Views: 112

Thrash123

Obey Leash Laws
Jul 19, 1999
Nowhere to be found.
www.classicwfl.com
Skyrim has some of the best bugs.

So, I decided to get married in Skyrim. I got the amulet of Mara, proposed, and waited for my ceremony to start in the temple at Riften. The ceremony starts, and then, all of a sudden, everybody is like "Get OUT!", and my wife professes her disappointment in me.

I look down, and... There's Lydia. Dead, at my feet.

She had died quite a few levels back in a dungeon (my bad). Did some research, turns out if your companion dies and you go to get married, their body appears at the temple right at the point of the ceremony.

So, I disposed of the body in the basement of the church (after taking some gear she had :p), apologized to everybody, and got married.

My wife walks out right when I say "I do". Maybe she's going off to the kitchen, who knows. Anyway, I hunt ALL OVER trying to find her - where I met her, my place, the temple, etc... I eventually used the console to transport myself to her, and she was a bit of the way outside of Riften fighting a Sabertooth. I kill it, tell her to get to my house in Markarth, and go on my merry way. I fast travel home, she's not there. Waiting, waiting, waiting... Eventually she showed up.

*sigh*.

Arnox

UT99/2004 Mod Crazy
Mar 26, 2009
Beyond
WTH is with all these essential NPC's? What happened to the times when if you killed someone important, the game would tell you "The thread of prophecy has been severed. Load a save game or persist in the doomed world you have created." or something to that effect? Seriously, they need to reimplement the old system and take this crap out. It's kinda ruining some of the immersion for me.

DarkED

The Great Oppression
Mar 19, 2006
Right behind you.
www.nodanites.com
I may seem stupid for not knowing this, but I didn't really keep up with Skyrim development. I was aware that the Creation Engine, Skyrim's engine, was a totally new engine written in-house by Bethesda. Is this "new" Creation Engine just another update (or branch) of Gamebryo? I only ask because there is a staggering amount of similarities between Skyrim and all of the previous games than ran on Gamebryo. For example, the character movement is pretty much the same minus sprint, some of the glitches and bugs are very similar, and a lot of console commands are all exactly the same. Is anyone else getting that feeling of Deja Vu when playing Skyrim, or did Bethesda simply try to make Skyrim as similar as possible to Oblivion and so on?

Wow the Thieves Guild is bad. I did not enjoy the quests at all.
Nocturnal this, Nocturnal that. Fuck off Karliah.

Yep.

But the Nightingale Armor is totally worth it. It's only second to Dragonscale in terms of armor ratings, comes with really sweet enchantments that Dragonscale doesn't have, and easily trumps Thieves Guild Armor when it comes to stealth characters.
WTH is with all these essential NPC's? What happened to the times when if you killed someone important, the game would tell you "The thread of prophecy has been severed. Load a save game or persist in the doomed world you have created." or something to that effect? Seriously, they need to reimplement the old system and take this crap out. It's kinda ruining some of the immersion for me.

Yeah, when was the last time we had that system? Morrowind? I don't recall being able to kill main quest NPC's in Oblivion.

Last edited:

Arnox

UT99/2004 Mod Crazy
Mar 26, 2009
Beyond
Yeah, when was the last time we had that system? Morrowind? I don't recall being able to kill main quest NPC's in Oblivion.
I never played Oblivon so I wouldn't know. Either way, Morrowind's system was much better.

NRG

Master Console Hater
Dec 31, 2005
I may seem stupid for not knowing this, but I didn't really keep up with Skyrim development. I was aware that the Creation Engine, Skyrim's engine, was a totally new engine written in-house by Bethesda. Is this "new" Creation Engine just another update (or branch) of Gamebryo? I only ask because there is a staggering amount of similarities between Skyrim and all of the previous games than ran on Gamebryo. For example, the character movement is pretty much the same minus sprint, some of the glitches and bugs are very similar, and a lot of console commands are all exactly the same. Is anyone else getting that feeling of Deja Vu when playing Skyrim, or did Bethesda simply try to make Skyrim as similar as possible to Oblivion and so on?
They originally said it was gamebryo with some heavy changes. Then their story went to "a completely new engine." It's pretty clear it's a nicely overhauled version of gamebryo and they just call it completely new.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Yeah. Gamebryo is no longer developed so it makes no sense for them to keep calling it Gamebryo.

Vaskadar

It's time I look back from outer space
Feb 12, 2008
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Game Brio.
ed_train.jpg

Wulff

Bola Gun fun anyone?
May 25, 2004
Netherlands
Also, the engine seems more stable than in Fallout 3/New Vegas, less crashprone, actually, I've yet to crash. *knocks on wood*

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
My question is: if I pick something up off of a table, does it make everything else hover an inch above?