Do you like the new-look BU?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

What do you think of the new BU design?

• Awful!

Votes: 24 13.6%
  • Bad

Votes: 36 20.5%
  • OK

Votes: 38 21.6%
  • Good

Votes: 38 21.6%
  • Great!

Votes: 40 22.7%

• Total voters

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
anyone like some of these skins?

Liquid Metal (relative width, brushed metal)

Funky Menu (seperated POTD Plain colors)

Two Left Bars (right sidebar moved to the left)

Fixed Metal (fixed width, brushed metal)

Last edited by a moderator:

Birelli

meh...
Oct 14, 2001
Syracuse, NY
Do you guys keep stats on what resolutions people are using? I was under the impression a good quarter to a third of the internet is still running under 800*600, but I suppose BU could easily have a much different spread considering it's mostly gamers with better comps. I'm using Opera 8 and it's displaying fine.

I really don't like this design much though, it looks similar to all the bog-standard "I'm using a site design engine because I'm too crap/lazy to make my own" websites. The old design had character and style. I suppose with some work this new design could manage "good", I voted for "bad" as it stands though. It's just rather bland, and I haven't noticed any real functional improvements yet.

Nemephosis

Earning my Infrequent Flier miles
Aug 10, 2000
DeeperShade said:
Oh and Neme. Get a better res mate. With computer's we try to evolve our systems. You're still in 1996 :D :p

I enjoy not having eyestrain.

TriDane

Sep 18, 2004
www.galleryof3d.com
Sorry the old design was original, and easy on the eyes. The new design, like Birelli says just make it look likes its running a crappy template system.

Sure I'll get used to over time but whats wrong with if it aint broke.....

p.s This actually made me come out of lurking mode to post.

Starry Might

bFemale=True
I don't mind the new look. :) (I voted "Good" on the poll.)

The only thing I don't like is the fact that I have to scroll horizontally to see the whole page now. I, like Nemephosis, use 800X600 as my resolution...

*DODGES INCOMING ROCKETS FROM THE 1024X768+ CROWD*

Sir_Brizz said:
Good stuff. :)

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Sir_Brizz said:
*image*
*image*
*image*
*image*

No
No
No
And
No

It's almost a simple color and it's boring, i don't think that skins will really change my opinion on the new look. It need to be changed to the older one or a new one again IMO.

MrMaddog

Flak Monkey
Jul 13, 2002
Parts Unknown
TO be honest, I really miss the old style of the site cause the way it is now is too spartan in comparison...

...but, at least now it's easier to read the headlines and I can see the links in the sidebar much better than before. So I do give it many points on that aspect.

BTW, any chance of having a choice of "real" skins besides a choice between Xan & Malcom in the background while everything else looks the same?

Majik

blargh
Jun 24, 2004
Denmark
Sir_Brizz said:
Liquid Metal (relative width, brushed metal)

I'd be happy if there was a skin with relative width, but I don't like the embossed boxes and the colours are a bit boring to look at in that particular skin.

UnrealGrrl

Enemy flag carrier is Her!
Jun 16, 2000
www.unrealgrrl.com
its pretty good looking but i dont think it screams "you are on BU!" and the old layout/look did. it was different and like someone said above, didnt look like every other fan and clan site out there...

this design is good but somehow the other had more originality and BU feel to it...

but hey you could be on a 800x600 green monochrome monitor and id still stop by ;)

ps. im at 1920x1200 and it looks fine until i scroll the mouse wheel to enlarge the fonts and they spill over the sides of the menu boxes

Last edited:

elmuerte

Master of Science
Jan 25, 2000
the Netherlands
elmuerte.com
you've got to get over the nostalgia of the old site.

Personally, the new design isn't that bad (except for the link color, the background image, and html+css code), it looks much cleaner. And I like clean sites.

Those screenshots Brizz posted are of a somewhat redone layout of the current dtyle by me and PJMODOS. PJMODOS redid the current design to be more flexible (as a proof of concept). I finished it some more and made a few exmaple skins to show off the more flexible code for the same look. Specially the "metal" skin was a quicky, took me a few minutes to find an acceptable metal texture on google.
You can take a look for yourself to see the "fixed" code (e.g. XHTML1.0 and CSS2.0 correct):
http://unreal.student.utwente.nl/beyondunreal/

I haven't bothered to create a skin that mimics the old design, but it should be possible (to some extend).

Last edited:

EXE-973

Aug 25, 2003
Visit site
El_Muerte_[TDS] said:
you've got to get over the nostalgia of the old site.

We are giving our opinions. We don't have to get over anything. Remember, it's your visitors that make Beyond Unreal great.

elmuerte

Master of Science
Jan 25, 2000
the Netherlands
elmuerte.com
executer99 said:
We are giving our opinions. We don't have to get over anything. Remember, it's your visitors that make Beyond Unreal great.

I'm not telling you what to do, it's more of an statement in general. It'll take some time to get used to the new thing (although the transition of PU -> BU was easier).

Tetris L

Smartass
Feb 15, 2000
Germany
cleaned.beyondunreal.com
someguy_99 said:
I have to be competely honest, I clicked the link under favorites, and I made a face of disgust when I saw it.
Exactly the same here. :(

The old design was unique and distinct. You didn't have to look at the BU logo to know that you are on BU.

The new design looks like any other website that you can find at any corner. Frankly it looks like some HTML newb built his first webiste from a prefab construction kit. It has NOTHING special at all. It is dull ... dull ... dull.

Sorry for sounding so negative, but I really despise the new look.
sour.gif

Last edited:

8-4-7-2

Mar 6, 2000
Germany
Tetris L said:
The new design looks like any other website that you can find at any corner. Frankly it looks like some HTML newb built his first webiste from a prefab construction kit. It has NOTHING special at all. It is dull ... dull ... dull.
Yeah. People say it's clean and nice. Which is true. But while that might make it easy to navigate, it also makes it less unique.
It's a very straightforward layout that's used by countless other sites as well

Personally I don't think the old design was cluttered or hard to use

dub

Feb 12, 2002
For all of you still yearning the old look and are getting sweatty dreams of it... FileWorks still sports the old skin... kinda usefull when comparing :lol:

Last edited:

Selerox

COR AD COR LOQVITVR
Nov 12, 1999
TheUKofGBandNI
selerox.deviantart.com
Boring, generic, amatuer ****

|dub| said:
For all of you still yearning the old look and are getting sweatty dreams of it... FileWorks still sports the old skin... kinda usefull when comparing :lol:

Just reinforces the fact that the new BU is a giant step backwards. Scrap it and switch back to the old site.

The. Design. Sucks.