CTF-Rollercoaster

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Astyanax

GotoState('Coding');
Originally posted by TheRealFluffy
I love riding rollercoasters, maybe a whole circuit, with a mountain lift (going slow up), and then, becoming faster and faster, (going down), making a Sonic speed, and then making a corkscrew..... slowing a bit down, dissapearing in that mouth (it's a pity that the skin is blurry then)... Here and there a turn... Maybe a map for people who never drove a rollercoaster, whiiiiiiiiihaaa!!!

That's exactly what I'm after with this map! :D:tup:

Originally posted by TheRealFluffy
Good job on the looping, I don't get the point of interpolation points, (it seems so much work! I'm a lazy ass...)

Making the brush for the looping was most of the work. The interpolation path was done in 10 minutes. OK, I had to experiment with interpolation points in testmaps a lot to figure out how they work, but once that's done, setting up a new path is very easy! :)

I've done some tests with bends of 90 degrees using 2 velocity zones and it works great! After a lot of testing and fine-tuning of speeds for the ZoneVelocities, I've now managed to keep players in the center of the tunnel all the time!

If anyone has has any ideas on how to increase the rollercoaster feeling, please most post 'em here! :)

[CD]Icedude

Hurf da Durf
Dec 13, 2001
#batcountry
fraghouse.beyondunreal.com
I had an idea, mabye a way to make the inside rollercoaster car appear on the HUD, so it looks like yor in the coaster. no, thats stupid.

but mabe you could attach the fighter decoration to a rotating mover to make it fly through the centre of two loops??

Or maybe put a bird1 actor in and change the mesh to, say, maybe a flying car, to fly around the map?

or maybe a secret room with the old "touch the rare power up and drop a titan set to throw flak shells (can be done!) behind the person" trick, but that would be halfway between the flags

Luggage

wins.
Apr 25, 2001
Germany
www.planetunreal.com
*lol* he's sparkling with ideas!

Well, I think the thing with the cars wouldn't work out, because you're supposed to be walking around in some other areas of the map (->Relay station) ...aren't you, Astyanax?

Astyanax

GotoState('Coding');
Originally posted by Luggage
*lol* he's sparkling with ideas!

Well, I think the thing with the cars wouldn't work out, because you're supposed to be walking around in some other areas of the map (->Relay station) ...aren't you, Astyanax?

I appreciate any ideas, but Lugg is right on this one; there are going to be only 3 small areas in which you have to press some keys to move. ;)

However I think it's a good idea to have something flying through the looping too (not inside it, but through the ==O== ). I wasn't thinking of a flying car, but of the players themselves! :D

Like, the looping could be on top of some hill; from one side a player would be pushed out of a tunnel, getting propelled through the looping (not going upside-down inside it, that's a different route) and on the other side of the hill that player would fall into the titan's mouth (see previous page). There are some pillars supporting the looping in the way of this, but that can easily be fixed.

What d'ya think? :D

Astyanax

GotoState('Coding');
Well, I meant the part with a route leading *through* the loop. What about the canyon then? *duck* I haven't got around to it yet...

That thing about going through the looping from the side was maybe a bit vage... :rolleyes:

OK, imagine a saddle on a horse. The middle of the saddle is, seen from behind the horse, the lowest point. However, seen from the side of the horse, it is the highest point. Such a "saddle point" works in landscapes as well. The looping could be on a saddle point, like a hill with on both sides mountains. There'd be a tunnel coming out of a mountain, going into a looping, and disappearing into another mountain again.

At both sides of the looping the land will go downhill. At one side, at the foot of the hill, there could be a tunnel coming out of the ground (not vertically, but like 60deg sloped) and ending there. At the other side, at the foot of the hill, there could be the huge titan with his mouth wide open.

A player going through the tunnel that comes out of the ground, would be 'spewed' out at high velocity, he would 'fly' through the side of the looping (maybe he'd see someone riding the looping at the same time :D), and on the other side he would fall into the mouth of the titan which is at the foot of the hill. Inside the titan would then be the red base (see some previous post).

The tunnel that 'spews' out players through the side of the looping would originate from the 'relay station', some place where all tunnels come together, where you have to walk to your next tunnel to one of the bases, and where most of the fighting will be :D.

As for the canyon, that will just be part of one of the 12 routes going from and to the bases and the relay station. It would be boring to have only underground tunnels, so I want to put other cool things in there too, like the looping, falling into a titan's mouth, a high-speed trip through a canyon, glass tunnels inside big caves with lava or underwater with fish at the outside, you name it. Just cool sceneries to look at at high speed. :cool:

/me hopes the explanation wasn't very vage this time...

Astyanax

GotoState('Coding');
update...

Well I've done a lot of editing these x-mas holidays. You now get kicked out of one tunnel, you fly 'through' the looping, fall into the titan's mouth and splash down in his gastric juice! :D

It was lots of fun trying to get the right KickVelocity for the kicker at the end of the tunnel! The first value I tried didn't even get me halfway, so I tried a much higher KickVelocity, but then I flew so fast that I shouted "I CAN SEE MY HOUSE FROM HEEEEEeeere!" :lol: I'm gonna make this route the shortest one, because it's the most dangerous route; it's easy to get out of course and fall down into the lava. :eek:

I've made a floor plan for the 'relay station' and started working on it. I've looked at the original Skaarj levels and also at CTF-SkaarjOutpost and CTF-AlienS to see how to make those twisted Skaarj architecture. I think I got the hang of it and the relay station is gonna look very cool! :tup:

I've attached 3 pics:
pic 1: fly through the looping and be titan food! :D
pic 2: standing next to a tunnel entrance in the 'relay station'. ph34r the typically Skaarj green energy conduct at the ceiling! :cool:
pic 3: this needs more twisted architecture and lights, but it looks cool already! :tup:

Astyanax

GotoState('Coding');
hmmmm.... the pics didn't look that dark in paint shop pro. :hmm: Try turning up the brightness of your screen to get a better view...

I'm gonna work a bit more on the 'relay station' and post the map here this evening. I need some advise on the outdoor part with the looping; it looks a bit... 'wrong', just not natural. Maybe someone good with outdoor terrain can have a look at it and tell me what's wrong/correct the problem (this was supposed to be an open map to which everyone is allowed to add something :) ).

Hey Lugg, how's your canyon coming? ;)

Last edited:

Luggage

wins.
Apr 25, 2001
Germany
www.planetunreal.com
Uh, um...

Sorry, I'm still busy, NeoCairo still isn't out -> I have to try and map ;)
But if you could sketch up that outdoor looping bit, along with appropriate lenght, width and height values of whatever you want, I could quickly make you a terrain in 3DSMax - That doesn't take long. And the canyon, well... It slipped my mind. Sorry.

Astyanax

GotoState('Coding');
Well here's the map, as promissed.

I need some opinions about the outdoor area. I couldn't make it any better, but it still doesn't feel right. :hmm: Also I'm not sure how to light outdoor terrain properly. Someone please help me out here?

The inside area doesn't 'do' much yet, but trust me, it's gonna be good! :D I placed a temporarely teleporter outside so you can get there and have a look. The only change I made to the looping is deleting it's supportive beams so you can fly through now. :)

Lugg -

Originally posted by Astyanax
The canyon should have a length of about 8192-12288 units, with a number of bends (cuts down the polycount too) and spots for the portals to stand. There should be a portal about every 1024-2048 units. That river looks nice too, but if you make any water in the canyon, it doesn't actually have to be water (just the sheet), because players shouldn't be able to escape from the pull of the portals anyway (I love invisible collision hulls ). Don't worry about the velocity zones either; I'll add them. Import a nice skybox if you want.

I've attached the portal brush (t3d) to this post. My idea was to decorate each portal with 8 flares on the inside of.... erhm... you what I mean . Be sure to have the Skaarj texture package loaded when you import it.

I think I'll use Meshmaker or something to convert the portal to mesh, because they're pretty high-poly and they're only decoration; you shouldn't be able to touch 'em anyway.

Astyanax

GotoState('Coding');
CTF-Ghey_Scrolling_Gradients

Oops, I had almost turned this map into CTF-Ghey_Scrolling_Gradients! :rolleyes: Those Skaarj green energy conducts look very cool, so I was using then a lot in the rollercoaster map. However at some point I realized that I was using those scrolling gradients a bit too much; well actually FAR too much! :eek: I suddenly saw that my map looked very ghey! So I've deleted a lot of them and made sure they don't have ghey colors... :)

The last attachment has been downloaded 3 times, so some people must have had a look at it. However nobody has posted his opinion :(:(:( (<-- 3 frowns: that means I'm very sad!). I really need some help with that looping terrain people!

Don't worry about the 'relay station' or the blue base, I'm still working on those myself (as of writing this: relay station = 50% finished, blue base = 99.9% finished, I'll post some pics tomorrow :) ).

I was thinking about helping you with your looping area terrain...

Yes please! Please tell me what's wrong with the terrain. Is it too cramped? How to light it properly? (I think it'll look better right away with a real skybox; the sunset was just a work-around.) Any help is appreciated!