CompetitiveONS - New Gametype

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Nunchuk_Skillz

May 18, 2005
Tenkken, some of the reasons why I no longer play ONS are exactly the kinds of things that it looks like they're trying to fix with this mod. I played ONS until we ran up against the limitations of the mod from a competitive standpoint and at that point I really just lost interest in it.

Of course, there are other problems that this mod doesn't fix, so this isn't the kind of thing that would bring me back to ONS (I'm not sure anything could at this point), but I really think ONS has been crying out for some kind of competitive mod that fixes some very basic problems in the game type for at least a year now.

I'm not saying this mod is the one that should be used, but imo it's a good idea for someone to at least try.

Nereid

・ ω ・
Apr 15, 2003
Vancouver
Electrolyte said:
50 points for destroying the core? I think that's a little over the top. I think 5 is a better number.
I agree 50's a bit high, but 5 seems low. Maybe 25.

bharsell

Mar 8, 2005
Sofaking is in pure. He came up with the idea and b4k4 from [uMA] is doing the coding for the mutator. b4k4 is also the same guy who coded the Antidump mutator which fixed a significant exploit in Onslaught and vCTF.

Tenkken

Prizemoney
Oct 4, 2004
New York City
fro: your reasons for quitting ons are bs in my opinion. EVERY gametype has its problems, and its not like when you play ons you notice these miniscule problems every second. If you were once interested in ons, then you still should be. Otherwise, you're one of those players who hops to a fro (no pun intended) from gametypes.

But lets forget all that. b4k4 is my homie he's a gangster too

hyrulian

Rainbow Brite
May 20, 2001
Chula Vista, CA
hyru.ath.cx
Wormbo said:
It's "competitive" because the creator says so. :p
Hmm, in that case, I better get working on the "Competitive Ion Tank Spamfest" (CITS) and "Team Ion Tank Spamfest" (TITS) gametypes, and it will be competitive too, because I said so. :D :lol:

Nunchuk_Skillz

May 18, 2005
Tenkken said:
fro: your reasons for quitting ons are bs in my opinion. EVERY gametype has its problems, and its not like when you play ons you notice these miniscule problems every second. If you were once interested in ons, then you still should be. Otherwise, you're one of those players who hops to a fro (no pun intended) from gametypes.

What are you talking about? I've mainly been a CTF player for the last 5-6 years and the only other game type that I've played seriously was ONS, so I doubt anyone would call that hopping from game type to game type.

And who cares what your opinion is about why I stopped playing ONS? First, I doubt you really have a clue what exactly those reasons are/were, and second, just because I liked ONS once doesn't mean I have to like it forever. By that logic, the fact that I once liked Tic-Tac-Toe when I was a kid should mean that I still have to like it today. But guess what, once I ran up against the limits of the game (i.e. it's a tie every time), I moved on to something more fun & challenging. It was the same thing with ONS.

Also, what "miniscule" problems are you talking about with ONS? My problems with the game type are multiple and significant. The major issue I have is that with ONS when you get two high level teams facing each other the majority of the maps are decided in the first 2 minutes by just a couple of fights or even by dumb luck (i.e. someone falls off a manta) and then the rest of the map is a boring slog-fest with the primary going up, down, up, down, even though the outcome is no longer in doubt.

Imo that doesn't come close to providing for a true test of skill between the two teams, especially considering that the maps aren't symmetrical to start with *and* that the genius ONS community still insists on letting teams pick both the map and the color on that map (further encouraging teams to pick the most unbalanced maps possible - which is why Prime is picked so much).

And the remaining maps are just a 20 minute stand-off, with whichever team has the color advantage winning the great majority of the time (since the ONS community seems to think playing unbalanced maps in a competitive setting is actually a good thing, and even goes so far as to let teams pick both the map *and* the color on that map, further encouraging the exploitation of unbalanced maps).

Add to that the n00biness of Spider Mines, the fact that otherwise basically horrible players can become "good" at ONS by getting good in the tank, raptor, or manta (which takes *far* less skill than learning to play CTF or TDM well), and you end up with a game type that can be fun once in awhile because of the teamwork and coordination in involved, but that more often than not just ends up being irritating and lame - at least in a competitive setting - and that doesn't really provide a good test of which team is better or more skillful, just a test of who can exploit map advantages more.

Now, that's not to say that I didn't have some incredibly fun times playing matches vs. people like the original T5K, SCK, KoNA, etc., on maps like Dawn & Dria especially (though the end game in Dria is boring as hell). But in the end, ONS just falls short of being a good competitive game type and it's just not as fun or as challenging as CTF is to me.

Tenkken

Prizemoney
Oct 4, 2004
New York City
spidermines: I think you can dodge/destroy those.

Primeval: Both sides can win. Red may be closer to the middle node, but blue has a number of land masses that can be VERY useful. Not to mention, a good bender sniper can take prim easily on blue. So if you haven't played ONS in over a year, how do you know what is going on with the community? Any new mutators come out? If you watch an ONS match nowadays, you'll see things are QUITE different from what they used to be: "bitch bitch rant boohoo red always wins primeval".

Fro said:
and you end up with a game type that can be fun once in awhile because of the teamwork and coordination in involved, but that more often than not just ends up being irritating and lame - at least in a competitive setting - and that doesn't really provide a good test of which team is better or more skillful, just a test of who can exploit map advantages more.

All opinion there, and map advantages are just a piece in the puzzle. You can't win the match on exploits alone.

So you got screwed over by Sweettooth, and you hate ONS. waaah boo hoo rant spawnkilling

Nunchuk_Skillz

May 18, 2005
Man, you are seriously lost... I don't care about ST and never really did. Yea, he did his best to screw us over in GGL, but in the end it didn't make any difference. SCK won the tourney fair and square, and I have no complaints about that.

Also, keep in mind that I had initially wanted to quit ONS back before any of that even happened (around Aug/Sept of '04) because I was already tired of it at that point. I just stuck around through the end of GGL to keep from leaving my team hanging. So ST, or SCK, or anyone else had nothing to do with it.

And *of course* what I said about ONS was my opinion. Whose did you expect it to be? Should I have given someone else's opinion? Imo, it's a limited game type when it comes to a competitive setting and some of its core elements n00bify the game type. Plenty of others have felt the same way. You disagree? Okay, I don't have a problem with that. But why to you feel the need to come in here and go all 7th grade girl on me?

All I said before you started running your mouth was that I thought it was perfectly reasonable for someone to try to make a competitive mod for ONS to make it a better competitive game type. Then you got your panties in a bunch. Grow up, little boy.

Tenkken

Prizemoney
Oct 4, 2004
New York City
Oh, it just sounds like you're speaking for the whole ons community :rolleyes:

and my guesses at why you quit ons are also made jokingly. So you got tired of the gametype? Makes sense, I don't really see how you can get tired of a gametype when one plays it like a sport.

Also, your last two posts are contradicting what you accuse me of being in your previous post. "Who cares about your opinion?" "Grow up, little boy."; you're seriously getting too worked up about this. Next post you might aswell take it up a notch and call me a poopie pants mother****ingpenisass.

"Plenty of others have felt the same way."

Those who stayed with ons for more than a couple of months didn't.

We might aswell shut up and stop arguing. PM me if you feel like insulting me more.

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
Tenkken said:
I don't really see how you can get tired of a gametype when one plays it like a sport.
Well, I used to play baseball and I got tired of it and quit after several years of involvement, and that's a real sport. :p

Nunchuk_Skillz

May 18, 2005
lol, I never claimed to be speaking for anyone but myself. You're the one that came in here making assumptions about who I was speaking for and why I think, do, or say something (when you don't know me in the slightest).

Oh, and 1 quick question: since no one can get tired of ONS as a gametype, why are there only about 10 clans on the ladder who have stuck with it for any length of time? Were all the others abducted by aliens, or is it possible that maybe they just got tired of the mod?

When we played on PG back in the day, there were something like 40-50 clans playing then, and there were 2 ladders at the time + multiple tournaments going on (3 major tournies in the first 9 months that ONS was out). Now you have 1 ladder, no real tournies, and about 15 clans total that are active at all. Seems like at least a few people might have gotten tired of it, no?

Meanwhile something like TAM has taken off and been incredibly successful, and it mostly consists of players that originally came from the ONS community. Yea, there are a couple of teams that were middle tier TDM teams, and even 1-2 that played mostly CTF (like ugodz when they played), but for the most part, those are guys who got into 2k4 by playing ONS and who are now competitively playing a game type that's *not* ONS.

HuggyBear

manta claus
Feb 23, 2004
Turns2Ashes said:
Well, I used to play baseball and I got tired of it and quit after several years of involvement, and that's a real sport. :p

All that physical activity and socializing with humans, what a drag! :lol:

Tenkken

Prizemoney
Oct 4, 2004
New York City
lets take into consideration that the 20 best teams of that original 50 broke up after a while, and then joined the surviving clans, so you see teams like PuMA with players from uMA, KoNA, and Pure; not to mention other teams with players from Ahriman Corps, Violent Persuasion, and Factor VIII.

T2A: Then you're not a true, dedicated baseball player, eh?

Nunchuk_Skillz

May 18, 2005
Like I said, you have about 10 teams left that have played the game for awhile (made up of the people from teams that have quit or folded) and you have a ladder with minimal activity. And you haven't provided any explanation as to why that's the case.

Yet when I suggest that at least for me it was because the mod is limited and has some things about it that leave it lacking from a competitive standpoint, you get up in arms about it and want to accuse me of some kind of personal bias towards a mod that I did a hell of a lot to promote (I'm the one that started the first ONS community site when it became clear that ProU would never accept ONS, and I'm the one that really lead the movement that got ONS to replace TDM for the GGL tourney in the first place). Yea, I closed the site after awhile, but the community was well established at that point and it was just a matter of someone else throwing up some forums.

Maybe instead of just getting pissed at me and accusing me of a bunch of bs, you should take a look at the game and think a little bit(?)

bharsell

Mar 8, 2005
I also blame Fro for everything that is wrong with Onslaught.

The biggest problem with Onslaught and it took me a while to realize this since its the first game I've really played competitivey are the maps. Torlan, Crossfire, Severance, Redplanet, and Artic are horrible for competition. Essentially those maps are over in less than 3 minutes then you're either spawnraping the other team or getting spawnraped while trying to get your primary back. No midgame and no chance at comeback. Primeval could be good if red and blue were balanced, Dria isn't bad but isnt' good either. Only Dawn and Frostbite are viable competition retail maps. I think a lot of Ons guys don't realize this as its their first time playing competitively, whereas a lot of the TDM/CTF guys come from UT99 and UT03 and picked up that right away. This mutator won't fix those problems, but is a step in the right direction to hopefully improving Ons (scoring as it is now is also bad, but the maps are much, much worse). At least the community now knows what makes Ons good (Dawn and Frost) and what makes it bad (all other retail maps) and is in a position to make changes from the beginning to hopefully make it a viable competitive gametype when Epic screws it up again.

Last edited:

bharsell

Mar 8, 2005
Nereid said:
ONS replaced TDM for the GGL? :confused::confused::confused:

Yep, in spring/summer 2004. That was right before uMA became active and we were one week late in joining the ladder and couldn't participate in the money tourney in fall 2004.