COD: MW2 Thread

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Grobut

Комиссар Гробут
Oct 27, 2004
Soviet Denmark
Here's my predictions:

1) Nothing will get done, they seem to have their heart set on going this route and i belive they will do just that, come hell or high water.

2) PC sales will suffer, lots of people will still buy it mind you, but there will be an impact from this, conversly, Console sales and Piracy will probably get boosted (people are weak, we all know they suck at boycuts).

3) Some time after release, someone from IW or Activision will give an interview, stating that the low PC sales and all the piracy just proves that the PC is dead, and that they should focus more on consoles, compleately ignoring the fact that they themselves planted that seed, thus proving that they have learned nothing, or are just looking for an excuse to go console.

I'll bet 10 internets that this is how things will unfold.

Grobut

Комиссар Гробут
Oct 27, 2004
Soviet Denmark
They don't need an excuse to "go console".

Technically no, they own it and they can do what they want with it, but we've seen often before that companies prefer to make some weak excuse to go Console, they obviously don't want to cheese off the PC players too much, so they will usually present some kind of excuse, more often than not a weak one that ends up cheesing us off even more :lol:

DarQraven

Jan 20, 2008
Here's my predictions:

1) Nothing will get done, they seem to have their heart set on going this route and i belive they will do just that, come hell or high water.

2) PC sales will suffer, lots of people will still buy it mind you, but there will be an impact from this, conversly, Console sales and Piracy will probably get boosted (people are weak, we all know they suck at boycuts).

3) Some time after release, someone from IW or Activision will give an interview, stating that the low PC sales and all the piracy just proves that the PC is dead, and that they should focus more on consoles, compleately ignoring the fact that they themselves planted that seed, thus proving that they have learned nothing, or are just looking for an excuse to go console.

I'll bet 10 internets that this is how things will unfold.

Unfortunately, yes. This is exactly what will happen. This is also why I'm pissed. I don't care much for MW2, but seeing as it's probably the most high-profile game this year, whatever happens now will change the status quo.
Had this been, I dunno, Peggle 2, I wouldn't have bothered.

The next game I actually care for might go the same route.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Another good way to look at this is to remember when Left 4 Dead first came out and there weren't many servers so lobbies were switching to P2P hosting. Hello lag and sucky game experience.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
im 12 and what is that?

The reason it "works" on consoles is because consoles are so f**king numerous.

Spot on. It shouldn't be long before people go "F it" and completely drop the idea of playing multiplayer. Matchmaking is foremost for consoles, as they are numerous and really can't afford the budget to have dedicated servers.

Last edited:

SlayerDragon

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLADIES
Feb 3, 2003
While I agree with you, I will be sad to not have a "low gravity mod" server to play on. That **** was hilarious.

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
im 12 and what is that?

Spot on. It shouldn't be long before people go "F it" and completely drop the idea of playing multiplayer. Matchmaking is foremost for consoles, as they are numerous and really can't afford the budget to have dedicated servers.

It doesn't even work on consoles, half the time. Consider Battlefield 1943; that uses dedicated servers, and even then sometimes has latency issues. UT3 has dedicated servers for the Ps3 - and I'm sure a lot of games are now following suit.

Defeat

GET EM WITH THE BACKSMACK WOOOOO
Apr 2, 2005
Illinois
www.google.com
Personally I'm not worried about the whole modding thing. I never cared to play a custom map in CoD4 or wanted to play in a heavily modded server. I never cared about the pro mods either, I just played in pubs. My main concern is the dedicated server thing :c

I'm still waiting on more information about IWnet though. Kind of odd that such a big thing has been brought out into the open and STILL no good information about it has been released.

SlayerDragon

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLADIES
Feb 3, 2003
You would think they'd kick the f*cking doors in and be like "Here is our new service and this is why it is going to melt your god damn face off with its powers of awesome!" Instead they just casually let it slip and then watch the raging masses gnash and wail like some George Romero film.