COD: MW2 Thread

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

dub

Feb 12, 2002
I got my pre-order canceled finally. All it took was a few emails to get my "case" elevated in whatever system they're using.

@SlayerDragon: It's not just about mods. I don't care about mods and I agree with you about CoD4's "promod" being a joke played by self-righteous asshats.

But being unable to play custom maps or mods when I get the urge is dumb. More dumber is the fact that I can't choose where I play or who I play with and then everyone's connected to each other rather than through a stable server. One bad ping could f**k the game up for everyone.

I remember playing Rogue Spear online back in my 56k days and it was a nightmare. No dedicated servers meant there was a ton of pointless waiting to get a game going, and then everyone had to wait until everyone's sh*t-ass computer had loaded the map. It took ages and the connections were terrible -- like, "wait two seconds until I see the grenade I just threw" terrible.

Obviously things will have improved somewhat since then but the system is still a bad and useless idea when dedicated servers work so well.

Yup. My biggest concern is for the quality of the connection.
I mean they do have all that new server migration malarkey but that's like causing a problem just so you can use the remedy.

FuLLBLeeD

fart
Jan 23, 2008
Kansas
awwsmack.org
A glimmer of hope. fourtwozero tweeted this:

fourzerotwo: Definitely made a big wave, and the response will not be ignored. I'll ensure everyone at IW sees the petitions and responses to it

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
What t2a said in his last post is kinda bad now that I think about it. I was watching my cousin play the 360 version of CoD 4 over the weekend. His ping was perfect, but he was getting massive lag spikes. I didn't think much of it till I saw one of the players had an atrocious ping. This is the only thing I worry about. I could care less about matchmaking since you can still play with your friends, unless I am missing something. I will still be buying it and will reserve judgement then, but the idea of having one person **** up the entire match because their ping is terrible is really bad.

SlayerDragon

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLADIES
Feb 3, 2003
This has nothing to do with making every game into duckhunt.

Yet they still do it.

I got my pre-order canceled finally. All it took was a few emails to get my "case" elevated in whatever system they're using.

@SlayerDragon: It's not just about mods. I don't care about mods and I agree with you about CoD4's "promod" being a joke played by self-righteous asshats.

I'm not arguing that this is ok since there will be no mods or whatever, I think this is a terrible idea, but was it even confirmed to be the only way to join online games? I've only read that they confirmed that this will be in effect but not that it would be the only way to play.

DarQraven

Jan 20, 2008
Yet they still do it.

Still do what? Honestly, you're not making sense.
I just explained how they're not making it into duckhunt.
CoD4 vanilla with improved spawn system, better weapon balance and restrictions on lame perks =/= duck hunt
I'm not a huge fan of CoD4 competitively myself, but your arguments against it are just nonsensical.

Regardless of whether you agree with the mod's purpose or not, there is a large portion of the userbase out there that wants to play with it. No dedicated servers denies them the ability. As such, your first post about this is nothing more than childish uncalled-for stab at these players.

Last edited:

FuLLBLeeD

fart
Jan 23, 2008
Kansas
awwsmack.org
Yet they still do it.

I'm not arguing that this is ok since there will be no mods or whatever, I think this is a terrible idea, but was it even confirmed to be the only way to join online games? I've only read that they confirmed that this will be in effect but not that it would be the only way to play.

Yes it was confirmed that MW2 for the PC won't use dedicated servers. Like, at all.

SlayerDragon

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLADIES
Feb 3, 2003
Still do what? Honestly, you're not making sense.
I just explained how they're not making it into duckhunt.
CoD4 vanilla with improved spawn system, better weapon balance and restrictions on lame perks =/= duck hunt
I'm not a huge fan of CoD4 competitively myself, but your arguments against it are just nonsensical.

Regardless of whether you agree with the mod's purpose or not, there is a large portion of the userbase out there that wants to play with it. No dedicated servers denies them the ability. As such, your first post about this is nothing more than childish uncalled-for stab at these players.

No you just explained exactly what steps were taken to turn it into "lol get an m4 and shoot through the walls and get kills while camping" That's CoD4 "competitive" gaming. It's so popular for the same reason instagib was popular - you get kills, it makes you feel like a pro without having to learn weapon skills.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I fail to see the comparison between StarCraft II and this. Perhaps we are referring to the no lan thing, but I still think they are completely different things. Besides I'm pretty sure that they said that the lan latency would still be possible making the whole point mute, but I could be wrong. Couldn't seem to find the story again after searching...
Because both systems require you to log in to their central system before you can play online, both systems promise "enhanced features" over standard multiplayer systems, and both systems take serving games out of the hands of gamers (arguably Starcraft already had this due to using Battle.net before, but you at least had some control over who was hosting and whatnot).

Unlike Starcraft where the experience you have is already fairly controlled, this seems to be, at this point, removing ALL control from the people who play the game. Infinity Ward will have final say on how people play MW2 in every aspect. Even if custom map support is there somehow, they will control which maps will be played and which maps will not. They will control what gametypes are available. They will control every aspect of playing the multiplayer portion of the game.

I was pretty enthusiastic about this game coming out. After seeing the last trailer, it seemed as if IW was doing lots of good things to the gameplay. But after seeing this, I have nearly lost all interest in the game. L4D2 will be out along with several other blockbuster games so I won't NEED MW2.

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
Honestly, while I enjoyed MW's multiplayer (it's quite fun), I never got my panties in a twist about it. When I moved to Win 7 and punkbuster wouldn't support it, it didn't really bother me at all, too many other good games. I'm getting MW2 for the SP, because that was what really impressed me with the first (and the COD games, really).

I know I'm aberrant as a gamer, but the multiplayer part of a game is only a bonus if its good. I don't really care that much about it for MW2, Bioshock 2, Uncharted 2, Halo ODST, etc. If it's good, I'll definitely end up playing it, but when the SP is so well done, why should the garnish be such a major area of contention? I mean, really.

~Jason

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Multiplayer is where most people will spend most of their time, that's why.

The single player will be at max 15 hours of your life. But many people will spend 30 hours and even more on the multiplayer.

I had the same thing as you, I put Win 7 on and didn't really miss CoD4 MP while I couldn't play it. But that doesn't mean that it shouldn't have been done well or right (although it's arguable if using PunkBuster is doing it "right").

shoptroll

Jan 21, 2004
Because both systems require you to log in to their central system before you can play online, both systems promise "enhanced features" over standard multiplayer systems, and both systems take serving games out of the hands of gamers (arguably Starcraft already had this due to using Battle.net before, but you at least had some control over who was hosting and whatnot).

Huh. For some reason I thought Blizzard hosted the matches on their bnet servers. That's how Diablo II worked as far as I know. So technically it was all dedicated servers just somewhat centrally hosted (I believe Bnet has nodes all around the country) with a huge IRC/lobby system grafted on top.

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
They say you can set up "private matches" through IWNet but that's still through IWNet and it's still a bunch of people connecting to each other rather than through a stable dedicated server.

And what if you like big matches? Listen server webs will very likely mean only a certain number of people can play together because individual connections can only handle so many things going at once. A dedicated server, on the other hand, can handle tons of connections -- that's why they exist! -- and it does the work of translating what all those incoming connections means for the game state. Then it pushes the result to the clients.

On your end that's one stable connection. No big deal. With IWNet you will have to connect to everyone. Odds are that means no more matches above 8v8. Ever.

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
Huh. For some reason I thought Blizzard hosted the matches on their bnet servers. That's how Diablo II worked as far as I know. So technically it was all dedicated servers just somewhat centrally hosted (I believe Bnet has nodes all around the country) with a huge IRC/lobby system grafted on top.

Uhhh no. The creator of the game simply becomes the host. I don't see how this "takes away serving games out of the hands of gamers". StarCraft II multiplayer will run exactly the same way that every other RTS multiplayer works. The only thing that has changed is that you still have to be connected to Battle.net in order to play a LAN game.

Dedicated servers in an RTS simply aren't feasible. A first person shooter server can run forever simply starting a new round after each match. This isn't the case in a RTS. You play one round and then set out to find a new set of opponents. Hence why they are almost always client to client with a system like Battle.net to connect you together.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Uhhh no. The creator of the game simply becomes the host. I don't see how this "takes away serving games out of the hands of gamers". StarCraft II multiplayer will run exactly the same way that every other RTS multiplayer works. The only thing that has changed is that you still have to be connected to Battle.net in order to play a LAN game.

Dedicated servers in an RTS simply aren't feasible. A first person shooter server can run forever simply starting a new round after each match. This isn't the case in a RTS. You play one round and then set out to find a new set of opponents. Hence why they are almost always client to client with a system like Battle.net to connect you together.
They are completely feasible, just nobody bothers with them.

You could easily set a server system up for an RTS just like Left 4 Dead does it, where the servers are campaign/map agnostic and you just join into one and it sets the game up like you tell it to.

The thing is, I don't care much about how they are changing Battle.net, but you seriously can't argue that this is bringing a Battle.net system from RTSes and Diablo over to FPSes where it hasn't been and, frankly, doesn't really belong.

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net

Not really. They're peer to peer, because you rarely get more than four players playing together, so it makes more sense, rather than requiring an extra dedicated (and costly) machine to be the middleman. Most players won't spend more than around an hour or two in a given server in an FPS. A lot of RTS games tend to last about an hour or two. The whole needing to find a new client thing is a bit moot, you could just as easily use dedicated servers.

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
Yeah I think ambershee makes a good point. You really just don't need the extra power provided by a dedicated server in an RTS like you do in a FPS.

I don't really thing this has anything to do with control or battle.net or anything of the sort. Infinity Ward just wants to get away with being lazy by giving the PC version the same sort of community features that you'd put on the xbox. I think the problem goes a bit deeper than that though. Fact of the matter is an FPS is better on a dedicated server, and this system that console games have been using is simply unacceptable.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Yeah I think ambershee makes a good point. You really just don't need the extra power provided by a dedicated server in an RTS like you do in a FPS.

I don't really thing this has anything to do with control or battle.net or anything of the sort. Infinity Ward just wants to get away with being lazy by giving the PC version the same sort of community features that you'd put on the xbox. I think the problem goes a bit deeper than that though. Fact of the matter is an FPS is better on a dedicated server, and this system that console games have been using is simply unacceptable.
I don't think it's laziness at all. If it was laziness, they'd use GFWL and just drop in the 360 system they have already developed.

I don't see how this could be construed as anything other than control. They don't NEED to do this, the system in CoD4 works fine the way it is. Especially if you take Punkbuster out of the equation.

This is a whole new level of craziness.