Can I Has UT Files?!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

DeathBooger

Malcolm's Sugar Daddy
Sep 16, 2004
The problem with others adding to the collection is that anyone is free to add or even rename something with malicious intent. I trust the people replying to this thread, but literally anyone can view and mess with this stuff. This is why I switched my share to read only do no one can upload anything to my computer. This is my work computer so I can't take the risk.

gopostal

Jan 19, 2006
That's why we need a hub person. So long as a single person allows uploading and takes the time to monitor the folder everyone else can benefit directly. I would take that on if anyone else wants to do this. I'll accept uploads on a second Sync secret, cross check them for duplicates in the folder we are already sharing, then add whatever isn't in there. I leave mine running all the time anyway. I'll set this up and run it if you guys want to share your stuff.

Carbon

Altiloquent bloviator.
Mar 23, 2013
The idea here is to keep the key 'safe'; given through PM only and users identified by their computer name. At least this way we would have a degree of control over who can access the share. Computer names - those connected - are visible in BT Sync, as are what files are coming from where.

gopostal, I got that huge skin pack some time ago as well as your 'dump' of files from way back; thanks for putting that together. As for making this thing a repository, I would be happy to participate after I get my drives set up, as per my last post.

gopostal

Jan 19, 2006
This file is continually getting heavily traded via Sync, new people are joining into it daily. We really should expand this out and share everything. I'll run my server as a central hub if anyone wants to get on board.

This is the Sync folder you can upload into:
AAEZACHWOSEIAABFEZTQOKD4FZPG6Y75S
It (obviously) can be written into to allow upload but I will warn you that anyone who attempts a delete command will get their IP published. As quickly as anyone uploads to this I'll make sure to move it after I verify it.

Once a file completes I will place it into the public outgoing folder. THIS ONE IS THE ONE YOU WANT TO SYNC AND STAY SYNCED TO AS I WILL KEEP UPDATING IT:
BXBM3KBBWDMFL3AHG454DCO3MYV5U327C
This folder is read-only and will keep getting larger as I move everything into it. Currently I am moving the entire collection from earlier in this thread and adding everything that I have locally into it. I'll try my best to sort as I go too, as well as check everything as much as I can.

Take a moment and upload your stuff and let everyone have a copy. I'll run this 24/7 for as long as it takes.

Last edited:

Carbon

Altiloquent bloviator.
Mar 23, 2013
gopostal: This seems like it might be problematic, unless the idea is to keep your sync and DB's files separate. BTSync can't use the same folder for two keys, so we need to make a new folder on our drives for your key. If you move DB's files in there, we will get redundant downloads.

If you move DB's files into your repository, then let us know and we can cancel DB's key and use yours with his folder. This will then not re-download his files, but only yours, the missing ones. DB can then sync his folder up to yours and all is well.

Right now we have 2 syncs; as long as the content is different, no problem. If the plan is to keep them separate, then cool, but if you move his files into your repository, then we should know and we can make the necessary changes on our machines.

Last edited:

gopostal

Jan 19, 2006
To be clear I'm offering a separate deal. I've completely disconnected from the original sync and I'm dedicated on this new one. You are welcome to stop using the old one and switch entirely over to this new one and the more people that do that the faster and more inclusive it will be. I have the OP's included.

Also, please don't just leech too guys. If you have something you'd like to get out to the community then upload it to me and I'll share it with everyone. Have you collected a massive pack of CTF maps for jets or do you have the ultimate voicepack collection? Share em! If we can get a ring of people leaving this synced then anyone who wants everything UT can get it. We won't have to depend on file repository sites going up and down.

I'm dumping more and more into my folder every day as I get time to sort things. There are people downloading too now so speeds will only go up. God knows what you'll find in this, my collection is massive (as people I've shared it with before can confirm). I'll convert the mods folder to txt and post it later tonight as a way of showing you what's in there.

Carbon

Altiloquent bloviator.
Mar 23, 2013
It seems that everyone is/was up-to-date with one another regarding both syncs; gopopstal's and the OP's. So, nothing happening.

I will be putting some files in the upload sync soon enough. UT files only or..?

gopostal

Jan 19, 2006
Message me if you don't find what you needed. I'll dig out my old backup HDD and sync you into the old repository.

Reactions: Carbon

Carbon

Altiloquent bloviator.
Mar 23, 2013
It's OK, I'm just downloading from Carbon's link, I'm building my own Unreal DB . . .

=P

Aren't we all. :)

UDrive.jpg~original

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
LOL. At some point I need to figure out a way to have a file mirror that works for BU. It would be nice to have tons of these legacy files in there.

gopostal

Jan 19, 2006
The real problem would be sorting and verifying. Because I open code on so much I know a lot of these files on sight and many of them simply shouldn't be mirrored as usable things. There are hundreds of test versions, incomplete mods, broken or insecure files, renames and duplicates, etc. To do it right you'd need a small team of people who can open code and have the ability to test things that are not in a completed package. Even so there's multiple hundreds of hours of testing to weed out the chaff. I spent a solid 30+ hours just doing a simple sort of my files before posting the repository and even then a bunch of bad files were found by others looking through everything. I don't think most have any idea what a project like this would involve if it were done correctly.

That being said if this ever comes to pass and you assemble a group that's willing to do this and get it done right I'd be glad to help. You could use Sync as the transfer protocol and assign sub-sections to individual participants to test and verify. It would be a lot of work but in the end you'd have a complete repository that could be put out as a torrent. I did this with SkinCity's files and it shared well.

The thing to remember is that you are going to have a really, really big repository in the end and a lot of people who are not going to bother searching through it and will attempt to only mass download everything they can. Once UT-Files got shaky the devs and server admins stopped trying to back someone hosting the individual files and began amassing their own backups of everything they could find. If this gets done it ought to cater to giving those people what they really want: as large of a backup of everything that you can find that they can download all at once and has the very least wasted bandwidth.

Carbon

Altiloquent bloviator.
Mar 23, 2013
I take as much a 'museum' approach to things as I do a repository. The useless are as important as the best in that sense. I totally agree that things need to be sorted and the wheat and chaff separated...no doubt. And yes, it would be a monumental task, a commitment that I am not up for.

I will try running a duplicate file program on the whole 2.5TB and see what I come up with.

gopostal

Jan 19, 2006
If you ever get around to doing that I'd be curious what the duplicate rate turned out to be.

I do wonder if we made a serious effort to try to gather everything into a central dump via Sync if people would contribute? If a dozen or so key people shared their vaults it could be a fairly complete overview of all things UT that you could ever need. Thankfully enough people have stuck around to keep most things from being lost to time and now the technology allows easy sharing. One good push to get it all into a single spot would ensure nothing ever is lost because it could then go back out to anyone who wanted it.

There's still a lot of site ripping to be done too. I quit a few years ago but I had a pretty full 'to-get-to' list. That's where the best stuff was anyway. A small group should rip through the old websites and catalog what can be gotten from them. Most of the admins left them up as legacy sites and hardly check on them. Lots of zips lie hidden in them that I bet no one directly even knows about. I know I found a lot without really trying very hard.