Call of Duty tonight!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

OpFor

Feeling suicide, thats O.K.
Apr 26, 2001
Visit site
This is JUST like MOH except with a few gameplay tweaks that modders could do in 15 minuites or so. Even with those it still sucks. Can we say F-L-O-P?

Spier

Mar 9, 2003
Visit site
Olethros said:
Word of advice to those who haven't tried it yet: Ditch the M1 Carbine and pick up a KAR.98 at the earliest possible opportunity. There will be plenty of them lying about, so ammo shortage is never a problem. Later in the level - depending on difficulty setting - you might even find the odd FG.42 to make life in the Wehrmacht even less fun. (No, that's not a spelling error for MG.42, but the SS paratrooper rifle from RTCW with full-auto capability.)
You aren't fighting the Wehrmacht, but "der Luftwaffe". ;) And the Fallschirmjäger Gewehr 42 is/was a real gun.
fg42-05.jpg

This is JUST like MOH except with a few gameplay tweaks that modders could do in 15 minuites or so. Even with those it still sucks. Can we say F-L-O-P?
This will almost certainly sell well, so I doubt you can call it a flop(not to mention the game is still a month or so away..). Apparently it is extremely easy to mod for as well.

It isn't a very original game, but all in all it was at least very, very well executed. For me it was easily the most enjoyable shooter I have played this year. If the MP is just half as good as the SP then it will certainly be the death of DoD. Come to think of it, CoD actually ran smoother than DoD on my machine..

Derelan

Tracer Bullet
Jul 29, 2002
Toronto, Ontario
Visit site
Game flaws:

-After repeatedly beating the game on veteran mode, I decided to resort to friendly fire. After pummeling my team for 30 seconds with an mg42, i noticed that all my team members were still there at full health. They respawn.
-The captain is invincible. No matter how many times you shoot him, he just won't die.

Although, this can be rather fun. At the end of the game, the captain will say "i want an aid station over there!" and he will go to the furthest wall. Don't follow him. Instead, stay at a distance and shoot him. Occasionally he grabs his crotch!

Also, for those of you who want to try out the other weapons in the game, I made this mod, it replaces your default weapons with an FG42, a BAR assault rifle and a luger.

Attachments

• newweps.zip
    2.4 KB · Views: 17

Lightzout

Infiltration Player
Apr 16, 2001
San Rafael, California
Visit site
"i killed my teammate and took his BAR" Nice work Chan! Someone mentioned that this game might be more mod-friendly than MOH. Does that mean an included SDK? MOH multiplayer was fun for about a week then the maps got old. Could be promising if community maps/missions became available. I liked it but it was very linear and just seemed like MOH with iron-sights.

Derelan

Tracer Bullet
Jul 29, 2002
Toronto, Ontario
Visit site
Even the demo is extremely easy to mod. Inside the pk3, its all just tga images and 3d models, and the scripts are just C++ OOL-style coding, very simple to understand. Other than TreadMarks, this is the most mod-friendly game i've ever seen.

Sweep

Jul 25, 2001
Visit site
You guys saying this is nothing but mohaa with irons, have you actually played mohaa lately? I play it all the time and this one has alot of subtle tweaks that add up to it being wayyyy better. Not to mention it almost doesn't feel like the same Q3 engine to me, some massive tweakin' going on there... And as far as I know other than weapon damage mods (and movement speed mods) there is squat in the way of tweaks/mods going around for mohaa that are significant in changing the gameplay. As long as something doesn't go horribly wrong between now and the time they release it the multiplayer will be far superior to mohaa IMO. I get frustrated with mohaa alot, too unrealistic (and I only play on "realism mod" servers)...

{I'm a bit worried about cheaters in CoD if it is soooo easy to mod though. Better have some kind of thing to make sure all the clients are matching files with the server's files or something...}

Last edited:

jaunty

Apr 30, 2000
Sweep said:
Multiplayer is where this game will shine IMO.

It is a combination of human nature and the nature of the internet that will prevent this statement from becoming true. I wish with all my heart that online play could be good, but it can't. Every single game that comes out is invaded by the CS kiddies who just want KILLS KILLS KILLS OMFG YES KILLS I AER !337 LOOK AT MY SCORE!!!!one1

It doesn't matter what the game is, it'll happen. I thought flight sims were safe. I was sure I could play Forgotten Battles online, even with a close group of buddies, and not have to worry about cheats or CS kiddies. WRONG! (Case in point: Ice)

Unless you play it with people who you know, or at a LAN, people will fuck it up so bad that that you'll just want to pour acid on your brain to wash away the bad memories. The benefit of the LAN, of course, is that you can set people on fire if they act like cocks.

Wish I could set Ice on fire :(

Sidewinder

Sep 11, 2001
Canada
Visit site
Enemy at the Gates is based on a work of FICTION, War Of The Rats, which is itself based on a real story. Not exactly a reliable source for historical fact.

Further, Enemy at the gates strays from the book in many places (eg there is no final sniper duel, Zaitsev kills the german sniper, who's name escapes me at the moment,face to face, largely defeating the sniper vs sniper story).

At any rate, as soon as i saw the screens of COD i thought "wow, they made a game of yet another war movie." Soon they will have to stop ripping off sensationalized hollywood films and start doing actual research.

And what three campaigns are you referring to derelan? As far as i am aware there was no campaign in world war two called "russian soldiers", or "british commandos".

OICW

Reason & Logic > Religion
Here's what I found on another forum regarding Enemy at the Gates and what really happened. Funny how the real deal is far more interesting IMO. Apparently the German film Stalingrad kicks the living sh*t out of Enemy at the Gates, but I haven't had any luck finding it so far...

There were numerous gross errors regarding Tania Chernova:
--She was blond
--Before the war she was studying medicine
--She was not from Stalingrad and was not in the city militia
--Prior to arriving in Stalingrad on 23 Sept 1942, she had become a relentless killer of Germans as a partisan in Byelorussia and the Ukraine
--As she arrived in Stalingrad, her barge was sunk and she had to swim to shore; once there, she crawled through a sewer to reach the city, but accidentally came out behind German lines. Behind enemy lines, she boldly walked into a German mess hall to get food before finally reaching Russian lines.
--Chernova became one of Zaitsev’s sniper students and his lover. During her training, she was sent on a mission to blow up a German command post. Prior to lighting the fuse on the dynamite, she engaged in hand-to-hand combat with a German sentry and crushed his windpipe with her hands.
--During another training session, Chernova disobeyed Zaitsev’s orders not to fire and engaged a German infantry unit, killing 17 enemy soldiers. Unfortunately, she also gave her sniper team’s position away--the resulting artillery counter-fire killed many of her friends and caused Zaitsev to slap her and berate her for her stupidity.
-- Chernova became an accomplished sniper. After getting 80 kills, she was severely wounded while on a mission when a clumsy woman directly ahead of her stepped on a land mine; Zaitsev carried her back to a field hospital.
--Chernova and Zaitsev never saw one another again.

Zaitsev learned to shoot while hunting deer in the forests around his boyhood home in the Ural mountains. Zaitsev was not semi-illiterate, he attended technical school and became a bookkeeper in the Soviet Navy Far Eastern Fleet.

Danilov played a small role with Zaitsev. Col Batyuk, not Danilov, told Zaitsev of Konings arrival. Danilov was wounded in the shoulder by Konings in an act of stupidity, not killed as shown in the movie.

While a Russian shoe shine boy was executed by the Germans for spying, he was not killed by Konings and he was not involved in the Zaitsev-Konings encounter.

Kulikov was Zaitsev’s close friend and had not studied in Germany with Konings before the war. Konings was laying down in a hide made of rubble with a sheet of iron over the top when he was killed by Zaitsev; Zaitsev shot him between the eyes after Konings was tricked into thinking he had made a kill on Kulikov, and Konings raised his head away from his rifle. Kulikov was not killed by Konings.

Derelan

Tracer Bullet
Jul 29, 2002
Toronto, Ontario
Visit site
i am referring to the game "campaigns". you can also call them "chapters" or "levels of difficulty", but i am not referring to "afrika corps" or "eastern front".

Enemy at the Gates was hardly based on War of the Rats. There was no little kiddie giving hints to Thorvald, the German Sniper. Thorvald's assisstant, Corporal Nikov, was never mentioned in the movie. Other small things like that were also innacurate.

However I think it is safe to say that most of the facts mentioned in War of the Rats are true, as it was based on 19 non-fictional books about sniper tactics and Stalingrad as well as 1 book about the Zaitsev vs Thorvald story.

Derelan

Tracer Bullet
Jul 29, 2002
Toronto, Ontario
Visit site
ah yes, you are very accurate OICW, Kulikov the "Bear" never died. Unfortunately, in the book, the 8 chapters that were edited out had also mentioned what happened to him after the war.

OICW, you forgot to mention that Tanya was from America, that is all.

jaunty

Apr 30, 2000
Spier said:
You aren't fighting the Wehrmacht, but "der Luftwaffe".

What the FUCK are you babbling about? Since ucking when does the Lüftwaffe fight on land? Sure they had a ground corps, but they didn't dress like Fallschirmjäger. Nor did they defend the Normandy area. Idiot.

And a note on the FG.42, It was hardly produced in any vast quantities. The Kar 98k and StG 44 were far more common in the hands of Fallschirmjäger. It saw some action, but not much. It just so happens to be the OMG SCOPE! weapon for this particular game. Kudos to them for trying to be different, but I'm sick to death of snipers in game.

And why the hell is the Thompson spitting out rifle casings?

Last edited:

Spier

Mar 9, 2003
Visit site
jaunty said:
What the FUCK are you babbling about? Since ucking when does the Lüftwaffe fight on land? Sure they had a ground corps, but they didn't dress like Fallschirmjäger. Nor did they defend the Normandy area. Idiot.

And a note on the FG.42, It was hardly produced in any vast quantities. The Kar 98k and StG 44 were far more common in the hands of Fallschirmjäger. It saw some action, but not much. It just so happens to be the OMG SCOPE! weapon for this particular game. Kudos to them for trying to be different, but I'm sick to death of snipers in game.

And why the hell is the Thompson spitting out rifle casings?
:lol:

Well, that was amusing.
But just in case you were being serious, here is some reading material for you:

http://www.feldgrau.com/main1.php?ID=3
That should convince you that they were indeed fighting on land. You can also search for "crete", "monte cassino" and "D-Day" if you want further proof.

Sure they had a ground corps, but they didn't dress like Fallschirmjäger
:lol:

Sweep

Jul 25, 2001
Visit site
There sure is an inordinately high number of angry, frustrated posters on this site. Must be because of the lack of a new Inf release for the last year and half, at least I hope that's all it is, lol...