Assault or Duel?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Lostsoul

boobs
Jul 3, 2005
pdX, Oregun
how did they do the assault maps so quick though i never got it

I will assume you mean UT99. People would rocket launch or piston past objectives to get to the end. My old team, DW-Dead Weights, holds a 13 second record on Rook I think. On Overlord you can piston in through the big gun, but the defense has to be blind to let that happen. Things like that can come down to luck and an ill prepared defense, when i would play I would typically see maps much longer.

Last edited:

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
Not to mention how fast you can end oceanfloor. You don't even have to enter the base for crying out loud.

Mazon: The infamous IH boost or rocket launch over the slopes...up the rooftop and voila.

Lostsoul

boobs
Jul 3, 2005
pdX, Oregun
Not to mention how fast you can end oceanfloor. You don't even have to enter the base for crying out loud.

Mazon: The infamous IH boost or rocket launch over the slopes...up the rooftop and voila.

I never liked Ocean floor and don't remember it's tricks, as for Mazon, I love doing that, but you still have to hit the chains in that one.

Sportaçus

Protecting the citizens of Lazytown.
Feb 17, 2009
As a matter of fact with this titan patch, assault would really rock UT3.:D

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
Meh, Bombing Run is a waste of a gametype. Greed tears it apart. As for Assault I hope I don't see more of it anymore.

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
Would you like a list of people that have participated in the Assault mixers with no map knowledge and done well? In UT99, yes it was very hard for new guys, but not at all in 2k4. It had about the same learning curve as 2k4 itself.
you're mistaking a few people that already had an interest in playing assault with the general public that might want to try something different.
Name a gametype that has something like an 'assault mixer' and you'll find people that are above average committed to playing the game.

Name one game type where knowledge does can not make you unstoppable.
you're forgetting that assault *requires* teams to win games in as short a time as possible.
Every other gametype can be set to a timelimit that is big enough for players to learn the map and gametype without having to wait for the map to change.

Assault takes totally different skill set than other game types, but it is no different in how it is learned.
exactly my point.
It is not different in how it is learned, but you barely get that time on the average map because of the way assault works.

It is about as likely in a pub to win in less than a minute in 99, impossible in 2k4. Only in competitive situations are you likely to see map times that small in 99,
I'd disagree. The people playing Assault'99 at this day are all capable of finishing the maps in under a minute. I seriously doubt it is limited to 'competitive situations' .. then again anyone left in this game probably is a competitive player of some sort as I doubt any 'normal' gamer is playing a game that's ten years old.

and only when teams screw up, in 2k4 3:30 is about the fastest you can compete the quickest map, Fallen.
which is (IMHO of course) still way too fast for the (average) player to learn to enjoy the gametype.

In my own experience it takes about 10-15 minutes to get a good feel for the gametype (= rules) and environment (a few basic weapons, health).

Give someone access to the same map for about half an hour and he'll be a threat (capable of finding most weapons and probably a powerup or two) even if he's a complete newbie, provided he's willing to learn.

Assault doesn't even come close to those numbers, because the map & rules will have changed at least once in that timeframe.

You can add all the hints in the world, but all those things do is cause information-overload during the short time he is playing ... and that's not helping (new) players either. IMHO that is the major flaw in the 2k4 version had as we went from having no information to (at times) too much data to process.
It's one of the reasons why gametypes in a fast-paced setting like UT should be as simple as possible. ONS/WAR are about as complex a gametype possible that still attracts new gamers with little difficulty.

Have you never seen a noob in a server that can't dodge? I have. I have seen guys that don't know some of the simplest things. It is called learning.
and it should never ever depend completely on an on-line community as Assault does.
It's bad enough that there's no way to learn dodging and wall-jumping and all the basic tricks of the trade by RTFM and playing off-line against bots.

Assault did grow, just had to find people that wanted to play something different.
yet another reason why assault was doomed to fail ... people do not want something different.
They want something familliar.
In fact the only reason ONS/WAR manages to be successfull is because it allows players to continue to pretend that it is still DM or CTF (or domination).

Assault never ever allowed for players to stay outside of their team and still be useful, which is something almost any other gametype allows for (up to a point). You can't even explore the map as there's only one active location and that's where the big arrow is pointing. And you'd better get there ASAP, because if you don't the location will change.
Both features lead to endless travel with nothing to do, which is one of the reasons Epic made sure that in ONS/WAR you'd never be more than a few seconds from a 'spectacle' ("... carnage - carnage - carnage and vehicles exploding above your head ... ").

the guide lines where for mapping.
I would not have wanted Epic to do it. They seem to screw things up the more they work with them. ...
their vision changes, your favourite never does which is why Epic seems to 'screw up' from your pov ;)

I would not call them broken, but whatever. I prefer challenges and new ways of thinking to get things done, if you like to be directed on a very linear path, then so be it.
So why would you want Assault back then ?
Isn't it time you'd tried something new ? ;)

KillStreak

I posted in the RO-me thread
and all I got was
a pink username!
Sep 11, 2005
somewhere
If you have ever played Team Fortress 2 then surely youve played the control point scenarios. Its very similiar to assualt. The difference being that the time limit is not dependant on the enemy team, but on your teams ability to work as a group. Every Control point nets you more time and the better your team is doing the longer the respawn on the enemy team.

Redesign assualt with this in mind and you have a working game type.

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
3:30 is not the shortest you can do a UT2k4 assault map by far - Fallen City is one of the longer ones, because it's on foot over some long distances.

You can do that bloody convoy one in 30 seconds or so if you know what you're doing; and the defending team can't do **** about most of it. Tank Factory can be done in around a minute.

Sportaçus

Feb 17, 2009
As for Assault I hope I don't see more of it anymore.

What could you have against assault? They had trials, race maps, and building maps. You had a gametype where you could go and excerise your mind with tricky trials, go full racing cars and objs, or just relax and build a house or something.

So to you good sir, I say STFU.;)

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
You forgot that you're also able to exploit it like the hell and back and make it like "dood look my tiem record!!", like in UT1. I say STFU and peace :wavey:

Last edited:

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
What would it take to craft an Assault level using Warfare as a base?

time and people willing to commit to the task.
= an assymmetrical map layout (although having both teams to attack & defend competing objectives is more fun IMHO)

= the node-network pretty much dictates the order of objectives to complete with no way to take shortcuts (you can only damage the next objective if the previous one was completed)

= A creative mapper/coder-team that can make objectives do very cool stuff (see the recent CBP3 for a very cool example).

= The only thing missing would be the worst part of Assault : time-based scoring.
And even that is possible as you could either abuse the 'overtime'-state or get a bit creative by adding environmental attacks against the core of the attacking team (thereby forcing them to attack the other team before their own core is destroyed in order to win).

Nothing is impossible, provided there's people willing to work at it.

Fluorescence

Feb 19, 2009
Berkshire, England
Jump Maps = Nails in the Assault Gametype Coffin.

Infact Assault Trials (Jump Maps) are the only assault servers that are basically still alive.
Furthermore Bunny Track (Jump Maps for UT) still remain incredibly popular in UT and along with CTF are the main things still surviving on UT.

I Think trials for UT3 has become Bunny Track again? instead of assault. Nevertheless i loved Assault in UT/UT2004, especially the imaginative asssault maps in UT2004, that werent a spamfest of vehicles spawned on floating bsp (even though they were fun occasionally.)

Last edited:

Sportaçus

Feb 17, 2009
time and people willing to commit to the task.
= an assymmetrical map layout (although having both teams to attack & defend competing objectives is more fun IMHO)

= the node-network pretty much dictates the order of objectives to complete with no way to take shortcuts (you can only damage the next objective if the previous one was completed)

= A creative mapper/coder-team that can make objectives do very cool stuff (see the recent CBP3 for a very cool example).

= The only thing missing would be the worst part of Assault : time-based scoring.
And even that is possible as you could either abuse the 'overtime'-state or get a bit creative by adding environmental attacks against the core of the attacking team (thereby forcing them to attack the other team before their own core is destroyed in order to win).

Nothing is impossible, provided there's people willing to work at it.

You sound like you can make this work if you took the time.:D