Are there certain people/situations you play better/worse with?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

daloonie

sex boobs nude
Feb 7, 2004
Denmark
www.daloonie.com
Rankin and Antalus tend to make me better :p

mostly because I know those two maps the best.

Else I tend to miss top scorers/fraggers in a match constantly. Even though I can hit everything else I can't seem to hit those properly.

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
Yeah, one to many debates on how those things do or don't effect hitscan, and Smurf and I started paying attention to our acc%, since it's easy to read in mut's that have bskins, and noticed a pretty consistant 15-20% increase with bskins.

Alot of it is just finding comfort with your input, and working on your reaction time. From watching demos of good hit-scan, it seems most of the better use of it isn't trace, but reacting to when a target passes in front of your crosshair, and sometimes that also means stopping your crosshair on a target to do so.

Ragna

Was online.
Dec 1, 2004
Sydney, AUS
Metakill said:
I do absolutely splendidly against people who aren't as good as me.
But against people better than me, not so good.

:stupid:

It's also the maps I play regularly that I play better in. When it comes to some unknown random map, I play godawful.

That's my excuse.

BooGiTyBoY

The ImPaCt-DaMpeNeD BooGeRaToR
I find I play better with less opponents on the map. Not because there's less people to have to keep track of.. or more chances at nabbing a powerup, etc.

It's because my game runs much better on my old ass crappy gf4. ;)
The difference between a 4vs4 and a 5vs5 is quite considerable on my system I've found.

m&ms

Melts in your mouth, not in your hand.
Jul 13, 2003
in a bag....duh
Visit site
I play best on large, flat maps with good framerates. The framerates is a vid card concern. The large maps are obviously for the hitscan. The flat aspect is because my flak/rocket accuracy goes down the tube on terrain. I think my hitscan can suffer a bit from it as well, but not as much.

rhirud

Fast learning novice
Feb 20, 2004
I'm the opposite. I'm at my best against good players, and always give them a hard time.

Then, I'll let a novice hit me with a single shot from a rocket launcher that I can see coming from miles away.......

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
-AEnubis- said:
From watching demos of good hit-scan, it seems most of the better use of it isn't trace, but reacting to when a target passes in front of your crosshair, and sometimes that also means stopping your crosshair on a target to do so.
There's also a good amount of no-fair, "how'd the hell did he do that?!" twitch shots going on. Check out the headshot at the three-minute mark in the Creating the Last Blow video. Ridiculous. Reminds me of one of those stupidly awesome rail shots someone made in the Q3 Annihilation video. :eek:

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
Ill agree on the twitch shots because thats primarily what i am is a twitch player. Im trying to get away from that though because more often im seeing myself "jerk" the mouse instead of keeping a fluid movement going. Sometimes it leads to that miraculous headshot and my "wtf that was cool" expression, but on the other hand it means it was just a lucky shot and thats when i go :(

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
I think that's why the average person doesn't do well with hitscan because it takes a different kind of play to use it effectively. If you run around trying to hit people with hitscan the same way you do projectiles, it's not going to work for the most part. Each time you pull out a hitscan weapon you have to change how you approach your opponent, the way you move your character, and how you move/control the mouse/crosshair. I love charging right at people with a dodge-jump because it kinda makes them panic and forces them to make a shot, but if I do that when I have a shock rifle out, I'm basically committing suicide. :) Whereas flinging rockets works great when you use your whole arm to move your mouse and dodge all over the place, you need to use more of your fingers and slight wrist movements for hitscan as well as not dodging around so much, which can make you a bigger target if you don't react quickly enough to returned fire.

OMG! Potatoes is back!!1 :crazydance:

SharKTanK

:zzz:
Oct 5, 2003
Manchester
-AEnubis- said:
@sharktank: You seem like the type that would do well in big ffa... at least the way you've moved and shooted in both takes of our match. I'd like to play you with comperable pings. Despite a few fundimental differences, your style is similar to how I like to play.
Yeah, I noticed that. I'm much more into the aggressive play, and so are you it seems, which more than often pays off in CTF, BR or TDM, since I am at heart an attacker.

For exactly that reason, however, when jumping onto a crowded 10 Man DM server I get spiked down. Like I said, I still have fun and come out in the top 5 most times (gosh, I sound like such a smacktard :/) but I just feel there are hundreds of missed frags, or near escapes that makes it frustrating. I still have fun, though.
I CAN play defensively, I CAN whore the hitscan like a hoe, I CAN use the shield. But I really don't like to. It's just not how I enjoy playing.
The fact I can switch between both is probably why I enjoy 1v1's too. The best of both defensive and offensive worlds meaning I like to mix stuff up :)

And someone should implement that "server in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean" idea tbh ;)

spineblaZe

VFX Extraordinaire
Apr 8, 2003
MN
Visit site
m&ms, considering you're playing on the equivalent of a TI-83, I am surprised you manage to hit anything with the framerates you get.

*slips m&ms some RAM under the table*

There ya go buddy, that'll help. ;)

B

Bee
Sep 6, 2000
Bussum, NL
www.zdclan.nl
Deck17, lift area makes me play better :D

I usually play alot better when there is someone better than me on the server. I try to seek that one player and fight him, and somehow the other players aren't such a big problem then. Even though I still die alot (which doesn't really matter since it's FFA-DM) I get frags quite easy then.

Playing stoned makes me focus more on the game, but it also gives me slower responses, which results in varied games. Sometimes owning but mostly getting nailed by 3-5 points after 20 mins. :hmm:

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
lmao@Ti-83

Yeah, "twitch aiming" is a different animal. That boils down to mostly reflexes, some instinct, and a players "hidden clutch attribute" (nba jam flashback).

Those shots I'm more likely to hit then any others, because I dont' have time to think about them, hence none of my "phsychological issues" come into play. They also don't apply, since I know most of my problem with hit-scan is it's over efficiency, and ease of use. It's like "I don't wanna do this because I'll feel guilty if I do."

@sharktank: Mid-Atlantic server would rock... and I also try to be pretty balalcned, though it pains me to be defensive. I use the shield avidly, but rarely for defense. I really need to make a video of how to be offenseive with the SG.

My "training" has just got my odd proficiency at FFA in stead of 1v1.

@Bee: Yeah, I'm a hunter too... for various reasons.

Peregrine

Death from above
Jan 16, 2001
Lake Erie Shoreline
www.gaihope.net
-AEnubis- said:
One thing I've come to realize is that I suck at 1v1.

Me too, but it's usually a 1v1 DM that I suck at. 10 man DM I do much better. I have no map control skills. hehehe

I always seem to do MUCH better when the object is more then KILL KILL... IE add a flag or a couple of nodes and suddenly I am 10X better. ;)
I guess it's because I am relentless (and pretty good) when chasing people.
;)

i play better in games that are team, or games with more than 1 person, i still quite like 1 on 1, but seem to have more fun, and especially in tourney matches, cause then the adrenaline rush. (i actually sweat in those matches) XD

Archon

I posted in the RO-me thread and all I got was a p
Jan 9, 2005
(.)(.)
I play good when i have no disruptions(tv, talking, etc) and fatigue is a problem with me if im really sleepy i play poorly. Once i actually fell asleep during one game and i think i did better than when i was awake.:)

gades

The Grudge Master!
Nov 20, 2004
Behind you biatch!!
I play rather well is small maps like Ironic or Compressed, whoring the flak cannon.

One match in Compressed, I came 3 frags from 1st place simply by spamming and not bothering about shields. The leader, who had been timing the powerups, barely outscored me.

On maps like Grendlekeep, I play horribly.
:cool: